2005 Mustang GT, replaced battery, now wrench light and no throttle

Fyrestang

Reaction score
I remember the wrench light doing this a while back. It came on and I lost a lot of power, drove it to store and bought throttle cleaner and when I went to turn it in, the light went off and it went away for good.

Fast forward to yesterday, my car battery died so I replaced it today. Put a new one in and started it up and the wrench light came on.

It's like the gas pedal doesn't even work and the rpms sit at 650 steady. But when you start it, it's like there's little gas to it. Normally I start it and the rpms go up to 1k and it's loud, now it's almost quiet.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
Died like a shorted cell. Could have wiped out your kam. Try the throttle relearn process.

Fyrestang

Reaction score
Died like a shorted cell. Could have wiped out your kam. Try the throttle relearn process.
Where you turn on key, push down pedal for 3 seconds. Release for 3 seconds. Wait 6 seconds, turn off key and wait 6 seconds and do it over for 4 more times?

I did that
Multiple times.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Your throttle body motor could have failed or your tps isnt working so the ecu commands the throttle to open to a predictable rpm. Youre going to have to pull codes otherwise its a crap shoot.

I dont know specifically what components failing can force the ecu into limp mode but Id research what they are and narrow it down from there.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll need to pull the fault codes to find out what's going on but I think a failed TPS will be the prime suspect.
It's usually throttle body-related problems that send the ECU into limp home mode and that's definitely one of them.

Last edited:

Fyrestang

Reaction score
I'm going to try and get an obd tool to check it. Does anyone know if any parts store rents them? O'Reillys will check it but I can't move the car.

Fyrestang

Reaction score
Talked to my buddy. He has the same year, but a stage 1 roush. He said that his did the same thing and his sister's boyfriend had to reprogram it. It's strange you have to reprogram just for a battery change. My girlfriends 04 gt and my old 99 cobra didn't have no issues changing dead batteries. I'll see what his solution is. But tps is still my concern until I get the code read.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
It's strange you have to reprogram just for a battery change.

That isn't normal. You shouldn't have to reprogram the ECU for a battery change. That is, unless you mistakenly disconnected the positive terminal first instead of the negative when you removed the old battery.
If you followed the rule "disconnect negative first, reconnect negative second", there shouldn't be any problem with the ECU.

Fyrestang

Reaction score
I checked fuses and all seem perfect with fuse tester. I took one out and put it back to test the ones I couldn't reach. Now the car clicks fast 4 times and doesn't start and everything blinks, mileage reads 000000 three times. I disconnected the negative and it's sitting for a while. I'll see what it does when I go back to check on it

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Is the battery fully charged? I'd start there. Everything you describe sounds like a battery that isn't fully charged and/or a faulty alternator.

Fyrestang

Reaction score
I changed alternator about 4ish months ago, so that's new. The battery I bought brand new from oreilys it's an 40r.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I changed alternator about 4ish months ago, so that's new. The battery I bought brand new from oreilys it's an 40r.

I understand. But do you have a charger or a way to insure the battery is fully charged?. Everyhing that is on this thread points to a low battery and/or bad alternator.

Fyrestang

Reaction score
It stopped flashing at me and not even turning. G oing to check battery

Fyrestang

Reaction score
Battery is good puts out 12v. So it goes from no throttle to no turning over. Now. Ford thinks changing battery wiped key memory.

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Battery is good puts out 12v. So it goes from no throttle to no turning over. Now. Ford thinks changing battery wiped key memory.

If your battery shows 12.0V your battery is dead.
A charged battery should show 12.6V
12.5V=85%, 12.3V=50%, 12.2V=35%

Fyrestang

Reaction score
23a021df131e9a50ba377e23b598a1c8.jpg

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Maybe the good people at oreilly can help you figure it out. A good battery puts out 13.2v minimum.

Good luck!

Fyrestang

Reaction score
Eh. They just called ford. They said the battery outputs about 12v when not in car, but about a volt or two higher while it is in the car. Ford said they believe it's the security system. Just a big headache it is

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back