Streetability of big stalls

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I agree 100% on the 3.15/3.31 gears being the way to go. Last year I had the chance to test 2 cars at the same track same day, cars were withing 15 pounds of each other, same mods to the T. Same driver (me), The 3.31 car outran the 4.10 car by about .03ish every time.

In my personal car i have been 11.16@123 with a 3.15 gear and 275/50/15 drag radials.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
After hearing you have a Bama tune, I agree that is your issue. Get a Mike Rousch tune on that thing. He knows these autos very well...

I've been emailing Mike Rousch over the past few days and we're working on a tune for my car as we speak. I absolutely know the Bama tune is subpar and I'm looking forward to getting Mike's tune.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I've been emailing Mike Rousch over the past few days and we're working on a tune for my car as we speak. I absolutely know the Bama tune is subpar and I'm looking forward to getting Mike's tune.

Great! You will be happy, my Mike Rousch tune is the best I've had on my car.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Well kids. Well see. Mishri has a boss mani, 4.10, o/r x, cai, and a bbr email tune. Mine will have a full header back exhaust o/r h, 3.15, cai, and a aed road tune. Both stock stalls on a 28" m&h drag radial.

Well see which one goes faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
You will love the Mike tune. Already got my updated tune for the 3.31 even though the gears won't be in for at least a week. As soon as I do my taxes and get my return I'll order the 4C, then probably next step after that is some nicer wheels as I'm using old 16" pony wheels with 255 16" ET streets.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score

I've been hearing nothing but good things about his tunes on the autos. Should be much better than the Bama tune.:thumb:

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I had a bama tune, in fact went back and forth with them for months trying to get the car to drive ok. They could never figure it out. Mike was the only one to get my car shifting correctly. Before it would do false neutrals/missed shifts with the bama tune.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
I had a bama tune, in fact went back and forth with them for months trying to get the car to drive ok. They could never figure it out. Mike was the only one to get my car shifting correctly. Before it would do false neutrals/missed shifts with the bama tune.

I had a similar experience. Before Mike's tune I had a Steeda tune. It downshifted horribly, they tried three times to fix it, no better. Mike knew had to fix it and it's been perfect since. His customer service blows away Steeda too.

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Throw some bolt-ons on, get an e-85 tune and now you are all experts eh? ;)

I might have to hit mike up for a tune though, I'm having that steeda downshift issue you mentioned.

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score

I might have to hit mike up for a tune though, I'm having that steeda downshift issue you mentioned.

Is your car clunking on the 2-1 downshift? If so Steeda has no clue how to fix it. Get with Mike Rousch, he not only will fix that but give you a much better tune overall.

Last edited:

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, that's the one. it isn't all the time, maybe once per drive so it hasn't been urgent for me to fix it.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score

Right.....I can't speak for the others but I have been messing with these platforms for 3+ years. Don't make the same mistakes other's have made before you.

Take or leave the advice. Keep the attitude.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Had 4.10's installed today. Just spent a 1/2 hour test driving on the backroads. Wow! Combined with the 5,000 rpm stall converter, this car rocks! And that's with the crappy SCT canned strategy tune I have to run temporarily to have the speedo correct until Mike Rousch finishes a tune for me. Can't wait for Mike's tune and a trip to the dragstrip!

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
Had 4.10's installed today. Just spent a 1/2 hour test driving on the backroads. Wow! Combined with the 5,000 rpm stall converter, this car rocks! And that's with the crappy SCT canned strategy tune I have to run temporarily to have the speedo correct until Mike Rousch finishes a tune for me. Can't wait for Mike's tune and a trip to the dragstrip!

Mike Roush tune: Good move!

4:10's: Bad move. I mean did you even read the whole thread?

Last edited:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Mike Roush tune: Good move!

4:10's: Bad move. I mean did you even read the whole thread?

You guys crack me up with your anti-4.10 sentiments with the 6R80. Did you not see my post quoting 1/4 mile ET's for naturally aspirated Coyote/6R80's from the very 1/4 mile list on this forum? 4.10's are in some of the very quickest examples. Quicker than most of the N/A 3.15 cars. 3.15's work well with forced induction and high powered, low weight Coyote/6R80's. If I were going with forced induction someday, I would have left the 3.15's.

While I appreciate everyone's grave concerns for my choice of rear end gears, I have two acquaintences with Coyote/6R80's that run in the 11's in the 1/4 mile with just tunes/4.10's/DR's at our local tracks. So, I have personally witnessed how well 4.10's work. Trust me, I've researched this topic to death and am no stranger to modding and gear swaps.

Throw a big stall converter in the mix like I have, and I believe I have the recipe for solid 11's consistently. And, this is in a heavy car (almost 3900 lbs with me in the car) with the factory paper air filter, 100% stock engine, 100% stock suspension, 100% stock exhaust, etc.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
What's traction like on the street? I'd have to imagine with 4.10s, a 6R80, and a 5000 stall it doesn't hook at all. LOL

FIVE-OH

forum member
Reaction score
You guys crack me up with your anti-4.10 sentiments with the 6R80. Did you not see my post quoting 1/4 mile ET's for naturally aspirated Coyote/6R80's from the very 1/4 mile list on this forum?
Did you not read the multiple posts regarding how old that list is? And how many of the quickest auto guys now, some of which have posted in this thread (including your new tuner) have said 4:10's SLOW the car down?

4.10's are in some of the very quickest examples. Quicker than most of the N/A 3.15 cars. 3.15's work well with forced induction and high powered, low weight Coyote/6R80's. If I were going with forced induction someday, I would have left the 3.15's.

False, the current quickest 6R80's, N/A and F/I run 3:31's or 3:15's, and that is a fact.

Throw a big stall converter in the mix like I have, and I believe I have the recipe for solid 11's consistently. And, this is in a heavy car (almost 3900 lbs with me in the car) with the factory paper air filter, 100% stock engine, 100% stock suspension, 100% stock exhaust, etc.

Hey, it's your car, and you can do what you want. I mean what do we all know? :roflmao:
I can tell you this, all the gains you get will be from Mike's tune, not the gear swap...

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
With drag radials it might be ok. But yah on street tires.. Negative. But then any 400hp car on street tires is gonna spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatwat

SSPSTANGBANGER

LSx Slayer
Reaction score
Did you not read the multiple posts regarding how old that list is? And how many of the quickest auto guys now, some of which have posted in this thread (including your new tuner) have said 4:10's SLOW the car down?
False, the current quickest 6R80's, N/A and F/I run 3:31's or 3:15's, and that is a fact.
Hey, it's your car, and you can do what you want. I mean what do we all know? :roflmao:
I can tell you this, all the gains you get will be from Mike's tune, not the gear swap...

:soapbox:

agreed but some peeps like learning the hard way
:asshat:

Back