Coyote with a carb and a turbo...why? Why not.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Intake is done. And I'm in the process of dropping it down into my POS fox body right now.
Junkyard 2014 5.0 coyote F150 engine (less than 10miles) with VCT locked otherwise bone stock
Highly modified Sullivan intake to fit coyote heads
S475 turbo, twin F38 TiAl wastegates, Q series TiAl BOV
Fast XIM with Accel supercoils for ignition
Custom built CSU E85 blow through carb
TH400/8" converter
Requisite cheap fox body (picked out of the West Virginia weeds) with 10pt CM cage and all the good suspension
Goal is to run 8.90's and drive it to and from the track.
Why the carburetor? Just because I'm bad ass enough to do it. No seriously I just want to be different and plus it allows me to do my own tuning instead of bothering my tuner every time I change stuff.
I'll post some pics in a minute.

spyder7724

Reaction score
20150724_215055.jpg

20150725_161824.jpg

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
If you're going to lock the VCT it's not really worth spending all the money on.... I mean why not go with a well built pushrod engine? Cost to power level will be less.

spyder7724

Reaction score
If you're going to lock the VCT it's not really worth spending all the money on.... I mean why not go with a well built pushrod engine? Cost to power level will be less.

VCT is not the magic potion that makes these engines run so well. The heads are ridiculous and thats what makes the power. The VCT allows for a broad torque curve in stock engines and can help spool up turbos quicker for some combos but for high rpm race engines nearly all top builders are locking out the VCT just like we did for the 3valve engines.
Since my engine is destined to live at 4500+RPMs at the track I don't think there's any real reason to bother with trying to keep the VCT...besides it is already a done deal and I spent about 5-6 hours degreeing the cams to get them exactly where I want them.
I almost went with a belt drive distributor just to really go old school (BTW coyote modified champ uses a belt drive dizzy and VCT locked) but got this fast XIM cheap. It's the one they used in the MM&FF magazine article with the carbureted coyote (RGR sheetmetal intake).

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Fine fine I'll concede. I'm interested in watching this progress. You just have to promise us videos :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPRsm

forum member
Reaction score
Shit, the vct is the magic potion that makes these engines run.bif you use smaller came that is. I wouldn't switch out the stock cams for anything under 1200rwhp. But back to back testing, locking the cams in a popular turbo grind compared to letting them move cost a TON of power low and high. Just think about it.

Mustang Mark

forum member
Reaction score
Not how I personally would build it, but kudos for being different. Good luck with the build, I'm sure it will be a monster.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
MIR / Capitol - where should I be on the lookout for this beast?!

:beer:

SStang

forum member
Reaction score
Shit, the vct is the magic potion that makes these engines run.bif you use smaller came that is. I wouldn't switch out the stock cams for anything under 1200rwhp. But back to back testing, locking the cams in a popular turbo grind compared to letting them move cost a TON of power low and high. Just think about it.

How would you control the cam timing, use the Ford's control pack, or other?

Thanks.

joeymustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well this is something you don't see everyday lol

Looking forward to the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spyder7724

Reaction score
MIR, Capitol and Mason Dixon mostly.
I know I'm losing power without the VCT but to do this there wasn't a good way to control cam timing. I talked to Mark that did the "Carb'd Coyote" article (actually bought the Fast XIM from that test) and although he did make more power with VCT he was impressed at what that engine made without VCT and with a carb to boot. IIRC it only gained 20-30hp and about the same for torque when they switched to EFI and VCT.
If I could have kept it I may have but this build is about doing something different just to do it.
The car is kind of a POS that's why I dubbed my build "Outlaw POS"
I originally was going to use a JY 5.0 pushrod engine and boost/spray combo it til the thing died but when I scored this engine for less than $2k everything changed.
Once I test it a little I may send the intake back to Scott Sullivan and see if he's interested in making them.
I have a long way to go since the car turned out to be a pile of crap. I'm rewiring it, replumbing it, fixing the hacked up floors and so on. I guess you get what you pay for.
Even so I'm not removing the feel of a JY throw together, swap meet LS killer and I hope to still have the entire build finished for less than $12k total...maybe $10k if I get lucky with the used trans/converter I bought
Right now I'm getting the engine positioned correctly. I'm using the pushrod k member so I had to make engine mounts and space the k-member to position everything the way a modular k-member would be.
Once that is done and I can set the engine and trans in for good things will go much quicker.

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Keep plugging along. I am always happy when I am not the only one doing some unheard of swap. You have capitalized on reversing the 5.4 DOHC-to-Coyote intake manifold match-up everyone else just talks about in relations to using on a 5.4 DOHC. Nobody that I am aware of is using the 5.4 intake to make a Coyote a different way. Kudos to you for not being a sheep!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would like to see more info on that intake and what was modified.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back