F150 Coyote swap to 07 GT

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I can see why guys go with the Control Pack, trying to use the coyote PCM can be difficult because of the PATS system. In the S197 the PCM supplies RX and TX signals for the PATS but in the F150 it comes from the BCM, well I didn't get the BCM so I had to wire things to make the starter relay engage and Power the PCM a little differently. I got back the fuel pump with the modified fuel hat for a fuel pressure return, my buddy welded it in so tomorrow hopefully it fires up.

Attachments

• PART_1483141206541_IMG_20161230_1839231.jpg
    PART_1483141206541_IMG_20161230_1839231.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 36
  • CAM00257.jpg
    CAM00257.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 41

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Are you going to run it on the stock tune? With a control pack tune file, it may not do a PATS check. It doesn't with a Mustang PCM.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Lito tuned my f150 5.0 swapped 1993 mustang engine. He should have everything covered here.
My car went [email protected] with a tko600 and 3.55 gears. Good job and keep us posted

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I did get a hold of Lund, I will have to send the PCM off to him but he will be out til next weekend. I tried emailing Lito, haven't heard back from him, I've used his tunes before with success but I think that the only way to bypass PATS is to have a correction made to the PCM, not sure if this can be accomplished by just an email tune.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
As long as you use the control pack tune, you shouldn't need to send off the PCM. The control pack tune doesn't look for PATS.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
The control pack will run the f150 engine as long as your idling. Once you try to give it fuel it starts missing really bad. My engine is all stock with boss intake, afe cold air and bbk long tubes, off road with no exhaust

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
I had Lito to send me a base tune. His base tune was almost perfect. Just a few adjustments and it was a monster.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
He is a close friend of mine I will speak to him about this. I used the vin number off of the 2011 f150 xl that the engine came from and ordered it from ford. So the engine harness itself it from a early production 2011 f150, some time not sure when they changed the plug inns on the VCT selinods and the ford racing wiring harness will not work. My control pack was the newest and up to date when I ordered it. I installed it in April of 2016 and it was made in feb of 2016. All of the stalling issues of the early production control pack kits has been cured by ford adding input for a speed sensor. Me and Lito learned even tho they installed the input wires, you still have to use the speed dial in conjunction with proper tuning.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pics

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpg
    IMG_1287.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1873.jpg
    IMG_1873.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 24

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
He is a close friend of mine I will speak to him about this. I used the vin number off of the 2011 f150 xl that the engine came from and ordered it from ford. So the engine harness itself it from a early production 2011 f150, some time not sure when they changed the plug inns on the VCT selinods and the ford racing wiring harness will not work. My control pack was the newest and up to date when I ordered it. I installed it in April of 2016 and it was made in feb of 2016. All of the stalling issues of the early production control pack kits has been cured by ford adding input for a speed sensor. Me and Lito learned even tho they installed the input wires, you still have to use the speed dial in conjunction with proper tuning.
Thanks, I appreciate you talking to him, I've used his tunes before, never had a problem. I am using the F150 PCM and harness. I did speak with Lund and he said he can program the PCM, turn off the PATS, make the auto pcm think its a manual but not til next week and he wants me to send him my PCM. To me it seems like it can be programmed to not look at PATS without sending it off.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Update: I sent the F150 pcm to a known tuner who supposedly could delete the PATS, after shipping it to him, paying $250 and getting the pcm back, I plugged it in, hit the key and it started, ran terrible and was in limp mode, no throttle response.I was pretty pissed at this point, the pcm ran the F150 perfectly before the motor, harness and pcm was pulled. I attempted 3 times to get in touch with Mr Tuner guy, he would not respond to any emails. Thank God for The Parts Farm, they sold me a pcm with PATS deleted out of a 2011 Mustang and it runs great ! I still have a few bugs to work out, got the speedo working yesterday ( thanks Dylan). My 2014 EPAS rack still doesn't work, also have to figure out why the GENMON signal is not getting to the pcm, alt charges fine but the pcm doesn't see it.I also need to wire the a/c up, I was thinking about getting the Coyote a/c transducer and pigtail and wiring it up to the pcm, seems like it should work. For the record the Coyote motor I have with a few mods has more pulling power than my cammed out 3V motor with all the bolt-ons.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Hey saleen,
Below is a snip from that thread I sent you in the PM. Posting here so everyone can reference it. Don't know if it'll help or not.

"on the engine deals, I use www.car-part.com to locate pullouts. Give each yard a call, some will work with you more than others on entire pullouts/wiring/ect. In my case, I found a yard that would do the entire pullout with hoses/ect (notice how my upper hose re-used the stock F150 spring-lock type connector with a different radiator hose?), this will save you a lot of $$ in nickel and dime stuff.

Also, if going F150 and using my bypass technique, you can request the Body module from the donor pickup, along with the steering column so you get the PATS antenna and key as I did. Both of those cost me a addition $100 or so.

IT SHOULD be noted, that you CANNOT use my bypass technique on a Mustang computer/pullout. the Mustang ECU looks for the PATS request signal from the insturment cluster as that's were it's contained vs. the F150 has it in the BCM. I have flashed my ECU to a full Mustang over write, and attempted to re-learn the computer to look for the PATS but it will not look in the BCM if it's coded as Mustang. So, keep that in mind. I have cross referenced F150 AND Mustang ECU's pin/pin and electrically they are identical so they are interchangeable. Therefore, if you have a Mustang powertrain pullout, you could use an F150 ECU on the harness and be just fine as long as you re-work the F150's computer programming for the swap. Once HP Tuners gets their PATS bypass integrated into the scanner program, most of this paragraph will be obsolete. ETA was sometime between now and end of year last I visited with him. So, for now, those of us trailblazers with the 6R80 have only three options. 1. - Lund Racing's EPATS bypass, 2. - HP Tuners bypass (must contact Eric directly at HPT and requires ECU mail-in), 3. - Use the F150 ECU/BCM method I've outlined.

The F150 ECU is fine to use. With HP you can calibrate it to whatever your desire, the box simply controls the outputs based on your tune data. Now, one area where this will differ is when I finish hooking up the cruise control, as the Mustang ECU frimware looks for hard wired inputs into the computer from the steering wheel switch pack, vs. the F150's cruise inputs are received over the HS and MS CAN network via the BCM and SCCM modules.

More on that as I progress into full integration. At this point, the cruise is all that's left to integrate."

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back