Weird Clunk-Popping noise

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Hi guys. I am experiencing a very strange clunking-popping noise coming from the front when I go at really, really slow speeds...as in just taking off from stop position/driveway speed. Also, its mostly audible when turning "left" at these slow take off speeds. So far I've done the following mods:

-Bilstein HD struts (has internal bump stop) and shocks
-rear ford racing jounce bump stops
-Ford racing GT500 strut mount
-Ford lowering P springs
-SR panhard bar
-Pypes bomb axle-back
-OPR outer tie rods
-Moog inner tie rods
-Moog front sway bar end links
-Ford racing front lower control arms with ball joints* (i.e., A arms)
-Nitto Nt555 G2 tires - 4
-20 inch SVP rims

The noise started right after I lowered it. I've found some others with similar problems but nobody seems to have solved it. I'm going to change out my front sway bar bushings. Probably to polyurethane. But I have been told by others they did that too and are still experiencing the noise. Ideas?

Car: 2008 Mustang GT, 122K miles.

Any help appreciated. I'll check back periodically. THX.

Last edited:

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Check your lower control arm bushings and check if any of the bolts are loose.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Someone here recently found it was the front sway bar mounts was making similar noise.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Had simular issue on my new edge 2003 GT, about 1500 miles after I put struts on but mine was right hand turns. Found I was able to turn right hand side control arm/strut bolt 1-1.5 full turn more even though appeared tight. That fix my issue.

I have urethane front sway bar bushings on my 2013. If had to do again I wouldn't. Noticed no difference from rubber to them (maybe because the rubber was so new still?). Like every year and half have to take off to regrease them as starts to squeak when making turns.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Interesting suggestions. I'll look into them.

2526Bullitt: the odd thing about the A arms is the noise was there before I upgraded them from stock, thinking the problem would be solved. But after the new A arms were put in, the noise was still there. Ill check and retighten.

Bujeezus: Ill definitely check the front sway bar mounts.

Dre256: yeah I was wondering if I should just use rubber again on the bushing. I really don't want to have to regrease all the time and it seems it would be easier to just swap out rubber for new ones every so often. I wonder if there really is less deflection...it feels pretty solid right now and is borderline too stiff for daily driving. Let me think about that one.

Thx so far guys. I welcome any additional input!

ha1234

Reaction score
You lowered it, so you have new springs...did you install the spring isolater (round plastic tubing that goes around the bottom of the front coil spring) properly? I had the same popping sound from the front suspension when I lowered my car and the problem was that little bit of plastic tubing that I overlooked.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
ha1234: I had my mechanic stick on the springs. Everything that came with the Ford Racing P springs was installed...I am assuming correctly because when I first got the car back I did not hear that noise. Instead, I heard a dropping clank noise which was fixed by subsequently sticking on the GT500 strut mounts.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Low speed turning pop is almost always sway bar end links where they attached to the strut, which luckily is a simple fix. Disconnect and remove the end links from the struts and tuck out of the way and try to reproduce the condition to see if the sound is still there. If it goes away this is the culprit, they are often tricky to get torqued back properly allowing for play and binding when the sway torques during suspension travel and turns. As the nut is tightened the stud tends to move with the nut. An impact doesn't always work as it can hide the fact that the stud is spinning, you can use an open ended wrench on the nut while you hold the stud with some vice grips etc to fully tighten to fix it. Have fixed this issue or multiple cars this way.

Last edited:

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
If the arms are in good shape, then check the sway bar bushings. If you see a crack or slit on the bushings, replace with some poly urethane.

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Also, check the sway bar links as stated above, and re-torque the all the bolts.

Dobester95

Reaction score
I would either check the ball joints or control arms. Take a pry bar and try moving them. Also possibly strut mount or sway bar. Make sure to torque all of those under load.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I had a similar experience, however the popping sounds began long before lowering my car.. It was the driver's side "OEM" strut mount that crapped out.. Since replacing them with GT500 strut mounts nearly 2 years ago, the popping noises haven't come back no matter which direction the car is being turned..

Anyhow depending on how old your GT500 strut mounts are, you might need to consider replacing them :shrug:

Last edited:
Back