New parts still a "Clunk" over bumps..

0M3GA

Reaction score
After replacing the bad transmission with a reman from Pick n Pull (got lucky) I went ahead and ordered new lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and lower ball joints to address an old "clunk" I would hear when I would go over bumbs, especially if it made the car shake from side to side...

Unfortunately after after replacing everything, the front end is still noisy and I can still hear a "clunk" if the car goes over a bump sideways or if the car shakes from side to side(going over a bump straight, sounds good now)

I've re checked my work twice, made sure everything was properly installed and torqued, unfortunately I can't find the culprit. The ONLY thing that comes to mind are the lowering springs from American Muscle..

Ideas?

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
After replacing the bad transmission with a reman from Pick n Pull (got lucky) I went ahead and ordered new lower control arms, inner and outer tie rods, sway bar links and lower ball joints to address an old "clunk" I would hear when I would go over bumbs, especially if it made the car shake from side to side...

Unfortunately after after replacing everything, the front end is still noisy and I can still hear a "clunk" if the car goes over a bump sideways or if the car shakes from side to side(going over a bump straight, sounds good now)

I've re checked my work twice, made sure everything was properly installed and torqued, unfortunately I can't find the culprit. The ONLY thing that comes to mind are the lowering springs from American Muscle..

Ideas?

my car's been clunking/making noises over bumps for 10+ years. I cant tell you how many countless hours i've had it on my lift trying to fix it. I just live with it . turn the stereo up.
Mine is more noise from the rear end though, which I'm pretty sure is where the LCAs bolt to the chassis.

Up front noise over bumps ... strut mounts.

DieHarder

Reaction score
Suggest looking at strut mounts as well. If you can switch to GT-500 mounts; they're a good investment. Check torque on every major suspension/frame/engine bolt. Especially, anything you've touched in the past. Most of my issues have been with sway bar links (stripped threads); sway bar mounts (loose); strut bolts and the like. To help tighten things up I added a few braces; front lower control arm brace; strut bar brace; and a front lower control arm brace/cage from Whiteline. Likely unnecessary but I haven't had any issues since and the front end feels better. (I know, completely subjective but I'm stick'in by my guns' (sic)).

08silvergt

Reaction score
Also make sure when you torque, that your suspension is at ride height, not drooped.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
I had a set of Steeda upper strut mounts with camber adjustment capability. They have O-RIngs on the center bushing and when they ware out the clunk from the front end is awful. Harder the bump the louder the bang. Potholes were the worst. Running stock strut mounts now, turned 180 and they are completely quiet.

Last edited:

Tman

forum member
Reaction score
1)Check Strut mounts. 2)check to ensure that the bolts mounting the sway bar end links are the correct size. If there is too much play there you will get a very annoying clunk over mild bumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0M3GA

Reaction score
my car's been clunking/making noises over bumps for 10+ years. I cant tell you how many countless hours i've had it on my lift trying to fix it. I just live with it . turn the stereo up.
Mine is more noise from the rear end though, which I'm pretty sure is where the LCAs bolt to the chassis.

Up front noise over bumps ... strut mounts.

Suggest looking at strut mounts as well. If you can switch to GT-500 mounts; they're a good investment. Check torque on every major suspension/frame/engine bolt. Especially, anything you've touched in the past. Most of my issues have been with sway bar links (stripped threads); sway bar mounts (loose); strut bolts and the like. To help tighten things up I added a few braces; front lower control arm brace; strut bar brace; and a front lower control arm brace/cage from Whiteline. Likely unnecessary but I haven't had any issues since and the front end feels better. (I know, completely subjective but I'm stick'in by my guns' (sic)).

Make sure your fender liners are pinned in snugly.

Also check Sway Bar End links.

Also check front sway bay bushings, that fixed the clunk for me.

Strut Bearings or Sway Bar End Links

Also make sure when you torque, that your suspension is at ride height, not drooped.

Correct. Suspsension needs to be "loaded"

I had the same issue, upper strut mounts were the problem

I had a set of Steeda upper strut mounts with camber adjustment capability. They have O-RIngs on the center bushing and when they ware out the clunk from the front end is awful. Harder the bump the louder the bang. Potholes were the worst. Running stock strut mounts now, turned 180 and they are completely quiet.

GT500 strut mounts.... m-18183-c, CJ Pony Parts tends to have the best price on them

1)Check Strut mounts. 2)check to ensure that the bolts mounting the sway bar end links are the correct size. If there is too much play there you will get a very annoying clunk over mild bumps.

Well after weeks of trying to figure this out, I finally found the culprit.. the lower control arms that were installed fit BUT aren't the correct ones, they were made for 05 thru 10 EARLY models, my mustang came with a slightly upgraded lower control arms and with a different lower ball joint.

Basically the shaft on the ball joint is different and thinner, so even with the bolt torqued to spec it was still loose.. I purchased the proper lower ball joints ONLY to find out that NOW they wouldn't fit on the control arms.. so the proper parts were purchased and installed.

Lastly there was still a small "clunk" turned out to be the crappy autozone sway bar bushings that were purchased last year..

So thanks guys I appreciate the help! The car is 10x better.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
What brand parts did you use? I work in Ford Service and have seen many times people with a similar situation that have used Brand X parts and the noise still persists. Sometimes using factory parts costs a little more but saves hassle on the back side. How many miles? Front struts could be starting to collapse also.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I use Moog K80899 front sway bar endlinks on both 05' & 06' GT's and they are much better than stock. They come with greaseable zerk fittings too.

Any suspension noise will drive me crazy... just spent a week tracking down a strange creaking in my wife's 05' Hemi Durango front suspension. Turned out to be outer tie rod ends with zero play, just worn out.

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_4466.jpg

IMG_7197.JPG

Kev555

Reaction score
May sound silly and you may have already ruled it out but also make sure exhaust isn't connecting with chassis over the bumps if nobody else has mentioned it and engine mounts as well for wear although unlikely

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back