What would you do?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
t56 is soooo tempting that non remote shifter tho :omfg:

I am asking liberty about their faceplating gear service just for second gear, that may be a quick fix while I figure out what I am going to do.

I know, but I really pride myself on my super dope shifting/driving with the stick.
It's almost like "they" are winning if I get an auto :roflmao: but it's easier on me by a long shot if I have to keep fuckin with this trans every year and worry about it shitting the bed. Plus, I have no idea how I am going to go back and delete all my posts making fun of automatics. :roflmao:

The remote shifter gets a bad rap because of how crappy the 3650 shifts. It's not the shifter, it's the transmission. The 6060 is head and shoulders above the 3650 in the shifting department. Just because they both have remote shifters doesn't mean they both shift the same.

Faceplating isn't a good answer for a street driven car imo. Maybe you should do it though. Hell, do it to the first 4 gears while you are at it.

Seriously, a friend had a faceplated transmission. It's great if you are only doing wot shifts. Any other time it's not a good idea. I suppose you could just go from 1st to 3rd when driving in town with a faceplated 2nd.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great info thanks Tiger!! It's actually turning into a weekend/drag strip car rather than a street car lately. for instance I'm probably keeping the interior out for the rest of the year, but I still like to joy ride it and take it out any chance I get so it can't be too horrible to drive. I like the idea of a full automatic though, but if the install is too complicated because of it I would definitely have no problem doing a full manual-auto. I will check out the links soon, really just getting tired of fixing the same issue in the same trans. over and over.

I never actually raced mine every weekend but it was raced a lot over the years with the manual tranny by me and Brenspeed.

I never really Beat this subject to Death but I'll share this now with you as some added insight.

I had numerous clutches, Flywheels, driveshafts and lots and lots of the Hydraulic Clutch Cylinders installed.

That being said I can tell you this next thing as a (Fact).
The manual transmission and supporting components were nothing but a Major-Freaking-Nightmare !!!

And as mine had more power added every year that issue or issues just got worse.

And as far as driving even mine on the street with the Heavy-Duty-Clutch etc. it was a BITCH in traffic !!!

And if one got caught in all the ongoing, never-ending interstate construction zones your Left-Foot would feel like it was going to Fall-Off !!!

And the above is not even mentioning missing gears , over-revving through the gears etc.

So that's some of the reasons above I got hold of Brent and said, I'm Ready, change it to the TCI SSF.

No-Regrets on this end and I can also state this as a Fact in my situation.
Mine is Fast, real fast on the street or a drag-strip and everything on mine still works and performs as it did coming from Ford off the Show-Room Floor.

There is No comparison between Drag-Racing with a (Built) automatic versus jack-assing around with a manual other than the Manual guy saying, (I shift my gears myself, I'm a real man)

T.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
I pounded the snot out of my 3650 for years. 7200 rpm launches, flat foot full throttle 6800 rpm shifts and it held up for 1000 plus runs. I ended up selling it for 50 bucks because I was sure it was hammered, when I changed my set up to another 3650 that I set up with a quick time bell and cable shifted. It cracked me up when the guy I sold it to said his car was faster with it..LOL! Factory freak trans. The second trans I ran was built by Hanlon, bronze shifter bushings and removed fifth gear to cut down on rotating weight. 26 spline input, That's all. Beat the hell out of that one till I had to concede to consistency in index class racing.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
The remote shifter gets a bad rap because of how crappy the 3650 shifts. It's not the shifter, it's the transmission. The 6060 is head and shoulders above the 3650 in the shifting department. Just because they both have remote shifters doesn't mean they both shift the same.

Faceplating isn't a good answer for a street driven car imo. Maybe you should do it though. Hell, do it to the first 4 gears while you are at it.

Seriously, a friend had a faceplated transmission. It's great if you are only doing wot shifts. Any other time it's not a good idea. I suppose you could just go from 1st to 3rd when driving in town with a faceplated 2nd.
1st to 3rd is pretty smooth with the 4.10's I actually do that all the time lol. I hear if you just shift fast into second they go right in fine? either way having just 2nd gear faceplated would solve 100% of my problem.

I never actually raced mine every weekend but it was raced a lot over the years with the manual tranny by me and Brenspeed.

I never really Beat this subject to Death but I'll share this now with you as some added insight.

I had numerous clutches, Flywheels, driveshafts and lots and lots of the Hydraulic Clutch Cylinders installed.

That being said I can tell you this next thing as a (Fact).
The manual transmission and supporting components were nothing but a Major-Freaking-Nightmare !!!

And as mine had more power added every year that issue or issues just got worse.

And as far as driving even mine on the street with the Heavy-Duty-Clutch etc. it was a BITCH in traffic !!!

And if one got caught in all the ongoing, never-ending interstate construction zones your Left-Foot would feel like it was going to Fall-Off !!!

And the above is not even mentioning missing gears , over-revving through the gears etc.

So that's some of the reasons above I got hold of Brent and said, I'm Ready, change it to the TCI SSF.

No-Regrets on this end and I can also state this as a Fact in my situation.
Mine is Fast, real fast on the street or a drag-strip and everything on mine still works and performs as it did coming from Ford off the Show-Room Floor.

There is No comparison between Drag-Racing with a (Built) automatic versus jack-assing around with a manual other than the Manual guy saying, (I shift my gears myself, I'm a real man)

T.
Yea man, really thinking about an auto very tempting lol

I pounded the snot out of my 3650 for years. 7200 rpm launches, flat foot full throttle 6800 rpm shifts and it held up for 1000 plus runs. I ended up selling it for 50 bucks because I was sure it was hammered, when I changed my set up to another 3650 that I set up with a quick time bell and cable shifted. It cracked me up when the guy I sold it to said his car was faster with it..LOL! Factory freak trans. The second trans I ran was built by Hanlon, bronze shifter bushings and removed fifth gear to cut down on rotating weight. 26 spline input, That's all. Beat the hell out of that one till I had to concede to consistency in index class racing.

Long story...Worked great!

Cable shifted!? yea pics don't help I don't see how that works? wtf is that LOL.
Nice setup though, yea man I've had very bad luck with every 3650 that has been in the car. I hear the random "been shifting fine for years" here and there but unfortunately I never ran into that special edition 3650 LOL.

46addict

Reaction score
Cable shifted!? yea pics don't help I don't see how that works? wtf is that LOL.
Nice setup though, yea man I've had very bad luck with every 3650 that has been in the car. I hear the random "been shifting fine for years" here and there but unfortunately I never ran into that special edition 3650 LOL.

Cable shifting is how business was done before Ford went to hydraulic clutches on the 05+ Mustangs.

To answer your question, I vote 6060 swap.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-09-Ford-Mustang-TR6060-GT500-6-Speed-Manual-Transmission-2007-2008-2009/142162192479?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40146%26meid%3D031115eaedaf49f784d9af8fe43d0f2a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D172323052522

If I didn't already have a 6060 sitting here ready to go in, I would've bought this one. Crazy low price on it. Go this route and install some 4.56 gears. An Exedy 07806 clutch is only $220 and then source yourself a decent shifter (MGW or Barton) and have at it.

Sure is a perty trans, damnit I'm so conflicted!!

Cable shifting is how business was done before Ford went to hydraulic clutches on the 05+ Mustangs.

To answer your question, I vote 6060 swap.
So there is a device that splits off and moves the arm for you in the trans? I find that pretty interesting but I can't picture it working.

sdleo29

forum member
Reaction score
I just did a 6060 swap from the 3650 and it is night and day. I would recommend the MGW with it. The shifter is awesome, tranny shifts like butter. I have 4:10's, and I feel it's perfectly matched. The car feels faster as it stays it it's power band longer.. Best upgrade I have done to the car so far, highly recommend for the money.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I just did a 6060 swap from the 3650 and it is night and day. I would recommend the MGW with it. The shifter is awesome, tranny shifts like butter. I have 4:10's, and I feel it's perfectly matched. The car feels faster as it stays it it's power band longer.. Best upgrade I have done to the car so far, highly recommend for the money.

^^^^^ This.

I didn't have much of an issue with the 3650 shifting wise, I upgraded to the 6060 because of increasing power and figured a working 3650 would be worth more than a busted one when I eventually swapped it out.

What I discovered is how much better the 6060 is vs the 3650. I never would of believed there was that much difference until I experienced it for myself.

I've had a stock Gt500 shifter, KR short throw, and MGW. My favorite is the stock GT500 shifter. The throw is longer but it's smooth and I don't need the reverse lockout wired up. The MGW is a work of art though, very precise and well made.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I'd look at going T56 if it were mine. Running it through the gears is half the fun. If you have plans to make a lot more power, then now might be the time for an auto. If you're trying to put 700+ down, an automatic is almost mandatory. If you don't have that kind of power, putting it in D and flooring it is pretty boring.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well hello beautiful, first time I've seen that guy.
Went to the track today and did some bracket, slowed it down some to be consistent but 2nd is still being a bitch even shifting at 6k rpm. Auto is becoming more attractive. But I still want to shift it!
If you go with the 4R70 you can actually have your, Cake & Eat it to.

Shift it Manually or let it shift on it's own.

Your choice pal.

I do suggest if you go that route to be DAMN sure you don't try cutting corners and go with one of the Major Tranny Builders !!!

Terry

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score

Your choice pal.

I do suggest if you go that route to be DAMN sure you don't try cutting corners and go with one of the Major Tranny Builders !!!

Terry

You mean don't buy the trans off eBay!? lol
I'd need a different tune to run it full auto, correct? I do love the current tune.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nothing hits harder or shifts faster or pulls harder than a properly set up auto. More consistent at the track too. I know three guys that have collectively put 10's of thousands of street miles on full manual reverse shift autos.

For a street toy, stick shift. Semi-serious or more setup street/strip car, full manual reverse auto.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Nothing hits harder or shifts faster or pulls harder than a properly set up auto. More consistent at the track too. I know three guys that have collectively put 10's of thousands of street miles on full manual reverse shift autos.

For a street toy, stick shift. Semi-serious or more setup street/strip car, full manual reverse auto.
By full manual reverse do you mean that it would go 1,2,3,4 instead of 4,3,2,1 like in regular cars? trying to learn the auto lingo.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tigerhonaker

Your choice pal.

Terry

You mean don't buy the trans off eBay!? lol
I'd need a different tune to run it full auto, correct? I do love the current tune.

When I say this next thing I'm not being a Smart-Ass just simply being specific in my reply.

All you have to do is get hold of one of those Tranny Builders I provided you the links to in the earlier post.

Those guys do it for a living buddy and there is nothing you can ask them that they have not already been asked over and over and over.

So, make it easy on yourself and (Deal) with them and for the (Correct) information is my honest advise.

Maybe a starting point would be to call say PA Performance and simply ask what you really wish to know and get some (Pricing) information.

If I knew what you really want to know trust me I would tell you but I don't know that's why I'm trying my (BEST) to give you some needed direction.

http://www.performanceautomatic.com...-transmissions/aode---4r70w-transmission.html

logo.png

AODE / 4R70W Transmission

product_photo-large_image-85.jpg

Terry

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Thanks Tiger! much appreciated, I am truly a noob when it comes to automagics.
I'll give all this some more thought and research when I get home tonight.
I do appreciate the direction, sir! xoxo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back