Blew up my motor last night :(

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Went to atco last night for their first 2016 opener. I was the first one down the track and the first one to break (all in one shot, lol). Motor went in the top of 4th gear. Still trap 118mph though.

Motor (3v) had 117k miles on it. A billion passes. It has been turbocharged on the stock motor for years now. Big shot out to lito, he's the only reason it ran this well for this long.

Not sure what my future plans are, I currently have a charger scat pack as my dd that I can also play with. I'd like to build the motor, however, I'm just not %100 sure what I wana do yet. I'm open to suggestions.

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
Wow , man were in a similar boat!
I am building my 3v motor also a turbo car. In the mean time bought a 2013 charger srt8 with a procharger, and popped the motor in a week. Currently adding forged rods, Pistons and a cam. I'm more excited about the charger because it's so much more comfortable to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya, my scat is way more comfortable. Specially considering it has heated & cooled seats. It's bone stock for now. Plan on keeping it that way for a while. The GT is suppose to be the "fun toy" to mess with . It's great to have a 8 speed auto and a stick.

A side of me wants to sell the 3v and get a GT500 has a weekend/track but it's nice having a mustang that is paid off.

bigbooster

2008 Mustang GT Owner
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss. :okay2: Hopefully this will be a chance for a new era for fast cars that low up a little less.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
How many psi/how much rwhp/what did it usually trap?

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry about your loss. :okay2: Hopefully this will be a chance for a new era for fast cars that low up a little less.

Thank you. I can't really complain. It was the original motor. Like I said, 117k miles and I can't count the number of passes.

How many psi/how much rwhp/what did it usually trap?

9psi. It usually traps 118-119 mph. It has gone 123mph one night when I turned it up to either 10 or 11 psi. It was dyno at 470rwhp (uncorrected) at 8 psi.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that sucks, but as you said, you got a good long life out of that motor.

Do you know what let go?

throw a built 5.4L in it :)

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
That's a good deal of jam for 8psi, you got your money's worth, that's for sure.

Might I suggest the FRPP 5.3. I'm going to assume a rod let go and you need cylinder heads.

Last edited:

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that sucks, but as you said, you got a good long life out of that motor.

Do you know what let go?

throw a built 5.4L in it :)

Thanks for the kind words Dave. No, I don't know exactly what the damage is yet. My boy feels very confident it's the rod. Which is usually what goes in these motors.

I could throw in a 5.4 or buy a mustang that already comes with one from the factory ;)

That's a good deal of jam for 8, you got your money's worth, that's for sure.

Might I suggest the FRPP 5.3. I'm going to assume a rod let go and you need cylinder heads.

Yes, I'm assuming the same thing. Funny enough I already have a complete stock 3v motor in the garage :)

I just have to figure out what is next. Throw in the stock motor & sell it or build it and keep it.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Went to atco last night for their first 2016 opener. I was the first one down the track and the first one to break (all in one shot, lol). Motor went in the top of 4th gear. Still trap 118mph though.

Motor (3v) had 117k miles on it. A billion passes. It has been turbocharged on the stock motor for years now. Big shot out to lito, he's the only reason it ran this well for this long.

Not sure what my future plans are, I currently have a charger scat pack as my dd that I can also play with. I'd like to build the motor, however, I'm just not %100 sure what I wana do yet. I'm open to suggestions.

Blowing a motor. I know that sick feeling. I've been running the B326 for a couple years now. This has proven to be a very stout and durable motor. Brenspeed tracks several cars repeatedly with these motors and not one failure I'm aware of. Might wanna look into it.

Let me give you a little advice on your scat pack, don't boost it with any power adder until you've forged the bottom end. I've researched this quite a bit and the 6.4's stock bottom won't take it. Even with as little as 8 psi your taking a chance.

Cost wise, at the end of the day your really better off upgrading to a Hellcat. Once all the hype dies down and dealers quit raping people over MSRP I plan to upgrade. The Hellcat motors are taking additional boost very well upwards of 850hp. Some very good reads over on Hellcat.org.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just have to figure out what is next. Throw in the stock motor & sell it or build it and keep it.

.. could just throw the other stock motor in, turn it down by 10 hp and it would last forever :lol:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Dave. No, I don't know exactly what the damage is yet. My boy feels very confident it's the rod. Which is usually what goes in these motors.

I could throw in a 5.4 or buy a mustang that already comes with one from the factory ;).

that you could.... :)

Yes, I'm assuming the same thing. Funny enough I already have a complete stock 3v motor in the garage :)

well if you think you could swap the motor and de mod - sell it and get into a Shelby for nearly the same cost as building it... then heck yea

Sactown

Sactown
Reaction score

Bummer, same thing happened to me years ago. Time for a Coyote swap

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some pretty darn reasonable options on fleabay to get you back up and running.

johnnyv8

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Blowing a motor. I know that sick feeling. I've been running the B326 for a couple years now. This has proven to be a very stout and durable motor. Brenspeed tracks several cars repeatedly with these motors and not one failure I'm aware of. Might wanna look into it.

Let me give you a little advice on your scat pack, don't boost it with any power adder until you've forged the bottom end. I've researched this quite a bit and the 6.4's stock bottom won't take it. Even with as little as 8 psi your taking a chance.

Cost wise, at the end of the day your really better off upgrading to a Hellcat. Once all the hype dies down and dealers quit raping people over MSRP I plan to upgrade. The Hellcat motors are taking additional boost very well upwards of 850hp. Some very good reads over on Hellcat.org.

I have no plans to go crazy with the Scat. Maybe a cold air intake. I totally agree, I would go for the hellkitty before throwing a blower on the scat. But more realistic, I would prob keep the Scat and get a GT500 (sell the 3v).

.. could just throw the other stock motor in, turn it down by 10 hp and it would last forever :lol:

There is a side of me like just keep it cheap, throw in the other motor, do the m90 and like hot rod cams. The car would sound nasty. But it would be a waste of time not to throw in a built motor if I'm going to keep it.

Bummer, same thing happened to me years ago. Time for a Coyote swap

Eh, it would be just easier for me to get a 2013 Mustang GT then swap in a 5.0

Some pretty darn reasonable options on fleabay to get you back up and running.

Funny enough, I have most parts. I've been picking up parts for years. Still a question of do a build it to keep or sell everything.

Coyote swap time. ;)

Like I said, I'd rather get like a 13 GT. But I'd prob rather get a GT500 over a 13 GT.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the engine let go. Haven't had that happen yet myself and definitely do not look forward to that possible eventuality.

Lot of choices including keeping the car and building it. Take your time on the decision. It is a big one.

lito

forum member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear and thanks for the comments.

Lottery tickets got you. The ones that I've already had this conversation with know what I mean.

Probably the tune that caused it to blow

Quite probably! :321: lol.

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score

Dann wish I was there to see it

Damn wish I was there to see it.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back