V6 cluster on V8

2005GT

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am wondering if a cluster from a v6 Mustang will works on a GT.
The connect looks to be same but does it works?

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I believe a dealership needs to program it or won't work due to security protocols

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
No need for dealership tools to swap. The physical connector on the back is the same. I did the swap on my v6 right before I swapped the v8 in and everything works as it should.

2005GT

Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful answers.
I want to be sure before I buy a cluster, Speedboosted can you confirm me the speedometer is still accurate if I put a v6 cluster on my v8?

Many thanks

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
It'll work, but depending on the V6 cluster, it might not be programmed to recognize all of the 'features' that have in your GT, i.e. ABS and traction control, depending on the car the v6 cluster came out of. Otherwise, it'll work just fine.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Thanks for your helpful answers.
I want to be sure before I buy a cluster, Speedboosted can you confirm me the speedometer is still accurate if I put a v6 cluster on my v8?

Many thanks

Speedo seems accurate. I've changed tire sizes and gear ratios since so it was updated in the tune but when I initially did it the speedo was fine. If anything, the tach was a hair off but not anything noticeable. (Maybe a 100 rpm)

It'll work, but depending on the V6 cluster, it might not be programmed to recognize all of the 'features' that have in your GT, i.e. ABS and traction control, depending on the car the v6 cluster came out of. Otherwise, it'll work just fine.

Nothing a little electrical tape couldn't fix. No mas lights :)

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
tach should read the same since the gear doesnt change how it reads RPM, just the speedo should read off

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Why do you want to do this? It's not that important but the v6 redline and top speed are lower on the cluster.

2005GT

Reaction score
Thanks, it is not justified that a v8 cluster worth twice a v6, I just bought a v6 cluster out of ebay for a fair price, no matter it is graduated up to 120 mph, I don't drive that fast anymore.

I will keep you posted if all gauges are accurate, I am sure this tread will helps.

Back