Clutch help needed..Spec 3+

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I recently had the Spec 3+ clutch kit installed in my car at a local clutch shop. They also installed an aluminum flywheel and new slave cylinder and pilot bearing. All they do is install clutches and work on transmissions.

The owner of the shop has 28 years of experience installing clutches and working on transmissions. Well I got a call from the shop and they proceed to let me that all of the gears go in fine with the exception of reverse. According to the shop owner the car will only go into reverse when the car is turned off. The car will not go into reverse when the car is on. They also advise me that the engagement point is about at the half way point and that the gears are a bit notchy, just so you know that I have a Hurst STS in the car so this adds to the notchy feel.

I contacted Spec and verified the engagement point. The Spec tech I spoke to advised me that the gears will be a bit notchy during break in but should smooth out after the 500 mile break in period. Anyhow, I get off the phone and totally forgot to ask about the reverse gear. I called the shop owner and provide him with the information. He proceeds to asked me what about the reverse gear and I tell him that I totally forgot to ask. He asks me for the phone number so he could call Spec himself as he has more experience.

A little while later, I get a call back from the shop owner who tells me that the Spec Techs hung up on him claiming the he installed the clutch backwards. He tells me that he has never been treated so rudely by a tech and that the tech hung up on him. The shop owner tells me he would warranty the work and the slave but not the clutch as I supplied it.

So now I new clutch that will not go into reverse when the car is no. In order for it to go into reverse I have to turn the car off and put it in the reverse gear and then turn the car on.
Has anyone else had this similar type of problem? If so, can you tell me what you did to resolve the problem. As is stands right know I plan on re-installing the stock shifter until the break in period is up.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
It was nothing like that for me when I had my Spec 3+ with their billet steel flywheel installed. Mine was also installed with a new slave cylinder.

Something doesn't sound right.

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
The response your mechanic got from Spec sounds about right... They have some of the worst customer service in the industry. They've been using the "your fault" excuse since they opened up shop!

As to your problem, ask your tech how he bled the hydraulic's. Whatever he tells you ask him to bleed it again.:thumb:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i've never heard of such. I've not had a lick of trouble with mine in about 8000 hard miles. I would not have taken it from the shop without it working. IMO the shop has to get it installed correctly.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
sounds to me like they dont have all the air out of the system.

I will have them bleed the clutch again as I tend to think this is the problem as the pedal is just as light as the clutch pedal in my jetta.

As to your problem, ask your tech how he bled the hydraulic's. Whatever he tells you ask him to bleed it again.:thumb:

+1, will do this again as I suspect this is the problem. Thanks

Barlett IL, I have friend that I went to school with at ISU that lives there, nice town.

Last edited by a moderator:

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
WTF...I took my car back to the shop that did the install and had them bleed the system once again that did not fix the problem. The shop owner recommended that I put the stock shift back in. Great!

Anyhow, I followed his advice and reinstalled the stock shifter. While removing the Hurst shifter I noticed that one of the bolts (top bolt) had backed out about half, this is significate. Well not thinking through I didn't tighten up the bolt and check if I had reverse while the car was on. I hope this was the problem as I know have the stock shifter back in and guess what I have reverse.....

Its the little things that kill me....I'll drive the car in the morning and find out if this was infact the issue.

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
Just thought you should know that I drove the car and everything is fine now. My car goes into reverse without any issues and engagement much improved. Pedal pressure is close to stock and yes it does grab like crazy.

As I suspected the top bolt of the Hurst shifter that had backed out about half way seems to have been what caused the problem. This created a slight gap when shifting, down and away, into reverse causing it not to go into gear. This seems to have been more my fault than anyone else’s as I was aware of the bolt coming loose from time to time.
icon_fryingpan.gif
I plan on calling the shop and apologizing to them for all the sh1+ I gave them.
icon_warped.gif

I do plan on writing a review as I continue to break in the clutch.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that's good news. I'd have thought the shop would have tightened that up tho.... the tranny did have to be pulled to install the clutch.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
My spec 3+ took a good 700+ miles to be fully broken in just to let you know.

Glad to hear it's better now.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
mine is still very notchy and i've had it in the car for over a year. feels like it's getting caught up on something when shifting.

originalsnake

forum member
Reaction score
I have the 3+ and since i had it installed its been the notchiest shifting transmission ever. It got to the point where i couldnt shift into 2nd under high RPM. I got torque limiters, solid mounts and that helped but didnt solve the problem. I had to get the McCleod adjustable release bearing. Now i can shift fine but its still somewhat notchy. Should have stuck with the stock clutch.

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I've got about 2k miles on my 3+ and so far I really like it. Glad you found and resolved the issue with reverse.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
So when they pulled the transmission down they didn't notice it was a remote mounted shifter? Right.. If you want to defend them that's fine but it's all just ironic. Glad you got it all straightened out though.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
that's good news. I'd have thought the shop would have tightened that up tho.... the tranny did have to be pulled to install the clutch.

So I guess this means that 28 years of experience doesn't exactly mean everything?
:beer:

They never checked the shifter and had no idea it was a two piece unit.

:headscratch:

So when they pulled the transmission down they didn't notice it was a remote mounted shifter? Right.. If you want to defend them that's fine but it's all just ironic. Glad you got it all straightened out though.

see that's what I said two days ago...

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back