New turbo on the way!

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So long story short, my precision PT6776 is leaking oil so i need to send it out to have new seals put in. Last week I got to drive my buddies 2000 GT with his custom turbo setup. He is running a billet wheel 6262 precsion turbo.

And i be damned! That thing was spooling up at 1500rpm and full spooled at 2600 rpms. At 11psi on his stock 2v longblock hes making 410rwhp and 550rwtq! He is running ceramic coated shorty headers and the hotside piping is ceramic coated black. Thing was a beast to drive on the street with the 3.27 gears.

That pretty much sold me on the new billet wheel design from precision. Faster spool and better efficiency than the standard cast wheel. My buddy's shop is a precision turbo dealer so he just hooked me up with a great price on a Precision billet 6765E, .68 ar hotside. Its rated to 900hp. Cant wait to get it on and get it back to the dyno to see how it performs compared to the cast wheel PT67.

turbo1.jpg

turbo2.jpg

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Nice we are running that same turbo setup on a built up cobalt we have been building for sometime now.....no testing yet though. Car is almost complete. Im sure youll enjoy the switch.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome, you will love the faster spool where do you hit full boost now?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats the ticket on one if those?

The ball bearing version goes for $2k

And the standard journal bearing is around $1.1k

I got it for considerabley less :). I have read nothing but good things about the journal bearing for these billets the smaller lighter shaft requires alot less oil to cool and run properly, which is why the oil feed is internal restricted as well, which is a plus.

Nice we are running that same turbo setup on a built up cobalt we have been building for sometime now.....no testing yet though. Car is almost complete. Im sure youll enjoy the switch.

I saw some testing results on a evo i found online, made 850rwhp @ 40psi with this turbo!

Wow that is awesome, you will love the faster spool where do you hit full boost now?

Full spool is around 3500-3800 rpms right now for 12 psi, depends on the gear im in. I believe i have a small exhuast leak on the p-side header right now as well so got to check that out when the new turbo goes on.

Last edited:

GrnBullitt08

Dale Jr
Reaction score
Sweet... We had the cobalt out on the road on it's break in tune today... You'll like the turbo.... We got on it a little, that little fucker spools up fast.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sweet... We had the cobalt out on the road on it's break in tune today... You'll like the turbo.... We got on it a little, that little fucker spools up fast.

Nice! Yeah i was reading where 2 liter 4 bangers were getting full spool by 4000rpms, so i bet its going to work great on the 4.6 :).

Bobby

turbo gt about to go fast
Reaction score
just out side of charlotte north carolina
i am about to send my comp turbo back to them and they will be adding their billet wheel to it. it will be the first 80mm billet wheel to be released from them. i was told that at the same boost he would guess i can pick up 100hp at the same boost, and spool up a tone faster. with a 60mm turbo they just made a little over 700whp.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
they spool up faster because the wheel is lighter right?
I will probably be going 60mm when I get mine :)

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Jeremy what ever happened to that different a/r exhaust housing you had? Did you put that on? I knew you put the restrictor in the oil feed becuase you have the upgrade pumping capability and you were still pushing past the seals? I bet that thing is going to be even sicker now. I hope I can get over there to see this thing one day.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i am about to send my comp turbo back to them and they will be adding their billet wheel to it. it will be the first 80mm billet wheel to be released from them. i was told that at the same boost he would guess i can pick up 100hp at the same boost, and spool up a tone faster. with a 60mm turbo they just made a little over 700whp.

Awesome man! Yeah from waht I have researched the billet wheel is like adding 7-10mm in size to the turbo and 100-200 hp increase depending on configuration.

So a billet 80 is going to perform like a 90mm but spool alot better!

they spool up faster because the wheel is lighter right?
I will probably be going 60mm when I get mine :)

Being lighter is just a small part, the vanes on the impeller are a totaly new design and is one piece (billet)

What are your goals? I would reccomened the billet 6262e .68 ar.

Jeremy what ever happened to that different a/r exhaust housing you had? Did you put that on? I knew you put the restrictor in the oil feed becuase you have the upgrade pumping capability and you were still pushing past the seals? I bet that thing is going to be even sicker now. I hope I can get over there to see this thing one day.

The .81 ar is on now, havent been able to get on it or test it out really, i have an exhuast leak right now and the oil getting on the maf makes the car hard to drive. Originaly I had oil pushing by on the hotside mainly causing the car to smoke a bit, which the oil restrictor fixed. But now its leaking on the coldside as well as the seals failed. Which could be largely due to the upgraded oil pump, definetly something to consider, and the turbo blanket may have been a double edged sword. Keping all that heat in helped spool and kept heat out the engne bay, but can cause the seals to go faster.

Last edited:

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
That makes sense about the blanket. I'm about to put my 3rd hot side on(originally the 1st). This one has has a double pass weld on the flange. I just need time to put it on.

Germeezy3

forum member
Reaction score
Because its a billet wheel the impeller design has a lot more freedom and does not have the design limitations that you would with a cast wheel, so faster spool and more airflow. I know that these billet wheels are fine with journal bearings but is their any benefit of going with ball bearings because of longevity? I know its a faster spool but usually the rpm difference is so small its not worth the extra cost on top of the extra cost of a billet wheel.

Bigmike0405

Whine and dine
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack your thread light blade. But so is it better not to blanket the turbo so it lasts longer or blanket it for performance but just deal with the consequences when it goes?

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Because its a billet wheel the impeller design has a lot more freedom and does not have the design limitations that you would with a cast wheel, so faster spool and more airflow. I know that these billet wheels are fine with journal bearings but is their any benefit of going with ball bearings because of longevity? I know its a faster spool but usually the rpm difference is so small its not worth the extra cost on top of the extra cost of a billet wheel.

Not sure if there is a benefit of the bb if at all yet. It would have cost me another $600 for the bb which i couldnt justify.

The bb do need more oil to cool than a standard journal bearing, which would be a little more forgiving on the seals if your oil feed isnt properly restricted.

Don't mean to hijack your thread light blade. But so is it better not to blanket the turbo so it lasts longer or blanket it for performance but just deal with the consequences when it goes?

Good question, i guess your going to have to ask yourself that though. I will be leaving it off this time when the billet turbo goes in and see how it works out. My buddy also reccomended to leave it off and see how it does.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually Jeremy a BB turbo need less oil flow then a journal bearing does. You need a smaller size restricter for a BB turbo. Most BB turbos also use water cooling because of the lower oil flow. I had to go all the way down to .035 restricters to stop the oil problems on mine and I also have them plumed with water lines.

Earl

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Actually Jeremy a BB turbo need less oil flow then a journal bearing does. You need a smaller size restricter for a BB turbo. Most BB turbos also use water cooling because of the lower oil flow. I had to go all the way down to .035 restricters to stop the oil problems on mine and I also have them plumed with water lines.

Earl

Thanks Earl, I also read that these billet center catridges with journal bearings are internaly restricted so im guessing the bb version is not.

Heres a quote

These turbochargers feature Precsions new Billet compressor wheels.These wheels are carved out of a solid piece of aluminum on a 7 axis CNC.There is nothing like these turbos on the market.In our testing,the T62 made more WHP at the same boost level as a normal T67 but has the spool-up of a 60mm turbo!These turbos are machined to use a KKK style hotside so they are a direct bolt-on.These turbos have built-in oil restrictors due to the fact that very little oil is required for proper lubrication.These turbos are also available with a T3 hotside.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back