05+ Gas Tank Fill Problem Fix

rebus

"seeker"
Reaction score
Late 2006 (job 2) same old story. Owned since new. Has done it since new. Has always been totally random with pumps, but always a PITA if trying to fill up when starting with anything over half a tank. Could have had Ford "fix" it. Chose not to due to all the "fixed" cars that still did it. Upside down mostly works with a few click offs sometimes. Had to develop a ritual starting with a prayer to the fuel filler Gods followed by special nozzle positioning, and fiddling, all the while cussing the Ford engineers who designed the thing.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I've tried the nozzle upside down and though it stops less frequently still clicks and prevents me from filling up. I'm going to see if running really low before filling up will aid this. I had no problems filling up on a long trip and I had less than 20 miles range.

The problem is local stations here are full service and they refuse to continue to fill up telling me that the car is full and that my fuel gauge is what's broken lol...the gas pump guys sure talk like they know their crap...I have to drive out a bit to find a self serve station.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
I've tried the nozzle upside down and though it stops less frequently still clicks and prevents me from filling up. I'm going to see if running really low before filling up will aid this. I had no problems filling up on a long trip and I had less than 20 miles range.

The problem is local stations here are full service and they refuse to continue to fill up telling me that the car is full and that my fuel gauge is what's broken lol...the gas pump guys sure talk like they know their crap...I have to drive out a bit to find a self serve station.
Sucks the upside-down trick doesn't work for you. It's 100% foolproof for me.

Still really disappointed that this is an issue. SERIOUS design flaw, Ford.

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score
Did the trick that 05 stroker did. Have a line running from the tank to the filling neck. It worked like a charm for me

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks the upside-down trick doesn't work for you. It's 100% foolproof for me.

Still really disappointed that this is an issue. SERIOUS design flaw, Ford.

Did the trick that 05 stroker did. Have a line running from the tank to the filling neck. It worked like a charm for me

From the pumps here I can't flip the handle 180 degress upside down. The pump handle is still at 75 degrees, so maybe thats y?

What do you mean a line running?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
From the pumps here I can't flip the handle 180 degress upside down. The pump handle is still at 75 degrees, so maybe thats y?

Why can't you flip it 180*? I've never seen a nozzle that wouldn't.

Where do you live?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S4

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
So running low on fuel didnt work either. I had 4 miles till empty range and went to fill up with the nozzle NASCAR style and thought it was working at first got like 4 gals before it spat it back out like 1 gallon of fuel!!!! It made a mess and thank god nothing happened. This could be a fire hazard and should be a recall like Chrysler and their fuel tank location issue!

toorbeenee

turbine lunatic
Reaction score

I mean run a fuel line as a breather from the tank to the fuel neck. It solved my problem

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Installed this purge valve., and it solved my problems. Mine had the same problems of not wanting to take fuel, and it got so bad that mine would barely start after fueling up. Could be worth a shot!

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Installed this purge valve., and it solved my problems. Mine had the same problems of not wanting to take fuel, and it got so bad that mine would barely start after fueling up. Could be worth a shot!

So you put the valve on the fuel line between the fuel rail and the fuel pump?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
How is that a "purge valve"? Isn't that the same evap canister that is present in all stock S197s? ...or am I missing something?

Last edited:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Maybe I said it wrong. Isn't it the EVAP canister purge valve?[I replaced the stock one] I talked to a Ford mechanic who had worked on this problem before, and he nailed it. I replaced it and it fixed mine, That's all I know. Before it would not hardly take fuel, it would click off constantly, and mine got so bad that it would struggle to crank after fueling it up! It took me forever to run down the correct person who knew what they was talking about, because it threw no codes at all. It was like 20 or 30 dollars from Ford, the best money I ever spent:)

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
For $20-$30 is worth a try...but where did you find it at that price?

Last edited:

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
For $20-$30 is worth a try...but where did you find it at that price?
Oh sorry:) My buddy works at Ford, he got it for me at his price! It could have been more that that, sorry it has been a while since I bought it.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Maybe I said it wrong. Isn't it the EVAP canister purge valve?[I replaced the stock one] I talked to a Ford mechanic who had worked on this problem before, and he nailed it. I replaced it and it fixed mine, That's all I know. Before it would not hardly take fuel, it would click off constantly, and mine got so bad that it would struggle to crank after fueling it up! It took me forever to run down the correct person who knew what they was talking about, because it threw no codes at all. It was like 20 or 30 dollars from Ford, the best money I ever spent:)
It's usually referred to as an evap canister, but could be a purge valve, or something along those lines. To be honest, I don't know what it does. I was just confused because you said you "installed" it. Your post read like it wasn't there in the first place. Makes sense now that you said you replaced it.

When I first read your post, I was at work and the pictures were blocked. I was hoping to see some magical thing I could install and get the filling madness to stop. When I got home, I saw the pics of the stock evap can and was bummed....

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Oh I didn't check under my hood, so it's a stock piece and my gt already has this....I too thought it was an addon thing to fix this problem.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
It's usually referred to as an evap canister, but could be a purge valve, or something along those lines. To be honest, I don't know what it does. I was just confused because you said you "installed" it. Your post read like it wasn't there in the first place. Makes sense now that you said you replaced it.

When I first read your post, I was at work and the pictures were blocked. I was hoping to see some magical thing I could install and get the filling madness to stop. When I got home, I saw the pics of the stock evap can and was bummed....

Oh I didn't check under my hood, so it's a stock piece and my gt already has this....I too thought it was an addon thing to fix this problem.
Sorry was not trying to mislead you guys. I guess mine just went bad, that's all I can come up with, because it fixed it. I thought mine was gonna die at any time! After finally getting it fueled up, it would just spin over and over before firing up, it was embarrassing for sure!

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Sorry was not trying to mislead you guys. I guess mine just went bad, that's all I can come up with, because it fixed it. I thought mine was gonna die at any time! After finally getting it fueled up, it would just spin over and over before firing up, it was embarrassing for sure!
No worries, man. Glad it worked. I hadn't thought about replacing mine, but I'm 99% sure it isn't the problem on my car. I broke mine a while back during an engine swap and had to replace it anyways. The filling is still the same as always.

I did clean out that foam filter a while back, which helped a little... but other than the strange looks I get when filling, the upside-down nozzle does the trick for me every time. I am still interested in a permanent fix. Try as I might, I still can't find pics of this extra vent line mod...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back