05+ Gas Tank Fill Problem Fix

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I wish the upside down trick at least worked on mine!

UPDATE:

Just removed the filter and mine was clean and I could blow air through it easily no blockage at all. I forgot put plug it back in and caused a CEL when I started her up. Hope it turns off on its own.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Nope!

Every case seems to be different for every car so...SOL

mulestang

All Show, No Go
Reaction score
Mine is damn near impossible to fuel. Hose clicks off continuously. Takes me 15 minutes to fill the tank. PITA!!!!!!!!!!!

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Put a few gallons in the car. Slowly. When it clicks off the first time put your hand on the corner of the trunk and shake the car side to side a couple of times like you were trying to squeeze 1 more drop in the tank. It'll make the tank 'burp' and should go ahead and take the gas. Works for me and if done properly no one will even notice you did it. It's what I do.
Another thing that works is to fill the tank with the front of the car higher than the back. Of course few fuel stations have a drive way that helps you perform this action. I found this out by filling it while on the trailer.

Sent from iPhone

07Bandit

forum member
Reaction score
My 07 does this once in awhile and what I do is turn the nozzle 180 degrees and it fills fine.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
recently I've been able to fully fill up the tanks at full speed. I think its depending on the weather/pressure/altitude??? lol

When my problem started it was NY (North East) high humid 80%+ 100* F weathers. Scorching summers basically.

Recently the weather has cooled down a lot 50~60% 80*F Max and been through two tanks now filling up regularly...

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
So my car recently started having this problem...I will try and fill up the tank and it will click off as if it's full and just will keep clicking. If I keep trying, it'll eventually shoot fuel out of the fill nozzle, as if the fuel is getting stuck in the tube and not reaching the tank.

Has anyone had this problem? I've never had an issue until recently.

Also, sometimes, while driving, if I roll my windows down, the entire cabin will immediately fill up with the smell of fuel. The smell isn't coming from outside or from the engine bay. It seems that when I roll my windows down while driving, the flow of air creates pressure/negative pressure in the cabin which then must suck up the smell from under the rear seats. There's no fuel leaks anywhere. Sometimes, if I park the car, when I come back and open the door, the cabin inside will smell of fuel as well.

Any ideas guys?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
So my car recently started having this problem...I will try and fill up the tank and it will click off as if it's full and just will keep clicking. If I keep trying, it'll eventually shoot fuel out of the fill nozzle, as if the fuel is getting stuck in the tube and not reaching the tank.

Has anyone had this problem? I've never had an issue until recently.

Also, sometimes, while driving, if I roll my windows down, the entire cabin will immediately fill up with the smell of fuel. The smell isn't coming from outside or from the engine bay. It seems that when I roll my windows down while driving, the flow of air creates pressure/negative pressure in the cabin which then must suck up the smell from under the rear seats. There's no fuel leaks anywhere. Sometimes, if I park the car, when I come back and open the door, the cabin inside will smell of fuel as well.

Any ideas guys?
Not sure, but it sounds like it's related to the same issue. I've kinda gotten used to the smell of fuel all around. My car stinks to high heaven.... :)

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a problem on mustangs, but the late 90's rangers had a problem with the filler tube rotting (rubber) and gas sloshing out as you drove around...I could smell the gas even with the cabin closed up

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced the evap vent under the hood and the solenoid at the canister and still no change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kahmann

forum member
Reaction score
hy2yha8u.jpg
qerytedy.jpg

My canister looks a lot different from the one in the first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Can people post your weather conditions? I really think it has to do with it!

Mine has been working fine again now that the weather has cooled down and humidity is low.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Can people post your weather conditions? I really think it has to do with it!

Mine has been working fine again now that the weather has cooled down and humidity is low.

Mine also seems to happen when it's hot as hell out. Same with the fuel smell....still haven't found a fix for that. I have an '09 if that matters.

Does anyone know how the secondary pump works in the other half of the fuel tank? Does it just keep putting fuel into the main driver's side half or what?

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
Man, I wished the fix I did would also fix you guys cars. I guess I was just lucky.

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
If the evap that Roush Racer replaced was broken on my car...would that cause the tank to not purge when pressure builds up in the tank?

I'm thinking my fuel smell might be that my evap up in the engine bay is clogged and when the tank pressure rises due to heat etc, the fumes seep through the fuel hat and into my cabin. Since I smell it with the windows down, maybe the sudden rush of air into the cabin causes a venturi on the tank area? Shrug. I can't figure this out....it's getting stupid and smelly (it's not like a catless pipe smell, it's like someone spilled gas all over the floor at the local Shell station kind of smell)

Thoughts? Anyone got a part number on that thing?

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
If the evap that Roush Racer replaced was broken on my car...would that cause the tank to not purge when pressure builds up in the tank?

I'm thinking my fuel smell might be that my evap up in the engine bay is clogged and when the tank pressure rises due to heat etc, the fumes seep through the fuel hat and into my cabin. Since I smell it with the windows down, maybe the sudden rush of air into the cabin causes a venturi on the tank area? Shrug. I can't figure this out....it's getting stupid and smelly (it's not like a catless pipe smell, it's like someone spilled gas all over the floor at the local Shell station kind of smell)

Thoughts? Anyone got a part number on that thing?
I'm not saying it is, because it took me forever to figure it out myself.
But sound's worth a shot.
My problems were, at first I would smell gas really bad at times, and then started to get a rough idle here and there or a brief rough spot after cranking it after it got hot. My biggest problem was, after the small problems started occurring That I mentioned above ,would be after I would fuel up!! whether I had problems filling the tank or not, when I got through fueling up, and went to crank, It would just spin and spin, like it was flooded to death. I guess it actually was, because all I could smell was raw gas, and it would run rough for a few minutes. I would go through the same thing every time I fueled up.
downsize4.jpg
here was mine, Billy

Last edited:

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
Thanks man. I guess I'll order up and try it. Mine smells like gas after I park and while I drive. Especially when hot out and under half a tank.

Sent from my microwave

sportinawoody

!@#$%^&*(
Reaction score
works immediately while pumping fuel. for whatever reason one side is not filling, holding pressure , whatever, when this happens and the pump shuts off, i open the drivers door and stand on the doorsill and rock the shit out of my car for about 10 seconds then i go back to the nozzle and fill my car full. this has worked for me now atleast 10 times. the problem is sporadic but this always has solved it for me so far so its got to be not allowing fuel to fill the other side of the tank completely.
anybody read this post ?

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back