06 GT $16k trade in?

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
Smart thing to do is just keep yours.

My plan is to keep mine and continue building it, it will end up being my drag car. Then in a 2-3 years either buy a new 2014 model or buy a used 2011+ GT500 or C6 Z06.

ScottsVaporGT

Reaction score
Personally, I think its a great accomplishment to be essentially debt free (excluding normal bills and house payments) and it sounds like your almost there with your current car. I would ask yourself, what am I really going to be using the car for? If you plan on taking it to the track and running the piss out of it and really need more power, then I can see you buying the new one. But if its just going to be cosmetic like you said your current car is, I would assume that you are just having the car for cruising and enjoying, then I would keep your current car. I was in the same situation as you before I sold my 09, but I wanted to start to be debt free so I can finally get out of my parents 'care', so I sold it and paid cash for a good used f150. Now I can just concentrate on other bills and not worry about the car.

Personally I say keep your current car, I like the 5.0's but for my style of driving I dont need more power than the 3v has, plus the new ones are still ass end ugly. lol

Last edited:

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
my car is payed off and im waiting to see what comes of a 50th anniv. before i commit to another payment. Have no payment has allowed me to mod my car and be able to begin my 323ci big bore at the end of this year. So now im happy cause i got a bigger motor on the way and will have more power all for less then what that new car is going to cost me before mods.

a 302 is nice but a 323 is even nicer.....IMO of course.

Last edited:

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score
...by the time you decide the '13's will be out so you mise well wait for the '14's and by that time the '06 will be paid off. ;)

That's my plan because i'm sure i'll want the next model as much as I want this one. I'll be paid off next month and then it's time for a truck again which hopefully I can pay off in a couple years when the '14's come out.

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with everyone saying you should keep your car. I've thought about trading mine in on a newer mustang and even a truck before and glad I didnt go through with it. Once my car is paid off it'll all be worth it not having a big monthly car payment

Drewskie

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on keeping your current car. I'm in the same boat but will be paying my car off here soon and can't wait to not have a car payment or full coverage insurance

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
i would keep full coverage for sure. it's not worth the risk of losing the car for the little bit you will save a month.

*edit, plus i see you're in SA. there are a lot of people there without insurance so you NEED to have full coverage.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
Traded in my 07 w/46k on the clock and got $18. Financed $18k on the 2011 with a payment of $298.It was a no brainer for me.

Drewskie

forum member
Reaction score
i would keep full coverage for sure. it's not worth the risk of losing the car for the little bit you will save a month.

*edit, plus i see you're in SA. there are a lot of people there without insurance so you NEED to have full coverage.

lol wasn't thinking much into it when i posted that..woops

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Personally, I would do it. You aren't likely to ever get that kinda money for your car again. With the new Mustang, you'll be picking up an 11's capable car with VERY minimal mods. How much money would you need to put into your current GT to get into the 11's? Well, then once you're there, you've modded your engine enough to where it isn't quite as reliable as a 5.0L would be. Get the new 2011, which dealers are giving great rebates on to make way for the 2012 Mustang's, then put all the basic bolt-ons on the car and then work on getting her paid off.

Personally, we don't have CC debt or any other kind of non-appreciating debt besides my 2011 Mustang. So it doesn't bother me in the least to have an car payment.

Plus, when you move up to an '11 or '12, you also get a much better suspension and better brakes. There are many improvements over the pre-2011 Mustang's besides just the 5.0L engine.

Agent Jones

forum member
Reaction score
16k is good...i got 16k for my 07 GT with 44k miles when i traded it in for my corvette...

also remember even if you could sell it for 17.5k it wouldnt be worth it. cause you will get another 1k-1.5k on the tax savings depending on what your tax rate is in your state.

i would do it, but its all up to what you make and what YOU can afford. you only live once so if you can afford it with out putting yourself in a bind do it!

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my 06 GT with 15k miles 18 months ago for $15.5 from a dealer. If you really want the new car, do it. They are giving you a great price IMO.

Redfireshaker06

forum member
Reaction score
Lets start out by saying I don't love driving the car anymore. Yes its a bad ass looking car and I have got it to 12.8 w/ only light mods. The noises, dash rattles and gas mileage are making me not enough it.

The car has 45900 miles on it.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Lets start out by saying I don't love driving the car anymore. Yes its a bad ass looking car and I have got it to 12.8 w/ only light mods. The noises, dash rattles and gas mileage are making me not enough it.

I can't imagine the fuel mileage being too much different with a 5.0L. Especially once you start to mod it. But if I were in your shoes and could get that much for my current 'Stang, I'd be all over a new 5.0!!

laz2447

forum member
Reaction score
The only consideration that should really come to mind is if you like the looks of the 10+ and if you can afford it/want to get into debt. If yes to the above, go for it. There will always be something faster.

:yes1: :beer:

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score

Get the new 5.0L. Sounds like the dealer is offering you good money for your '06 and a good deal on the new 5.0L.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score

Then trade it in dude. But your mpg aint getting any better thats for sure.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back