08 V6 Clutch Issues

matt3824

Reaction score
So we've had our 08 Mustang for about 8 months now. It's a 4.0 V6 w/ 5 speed manual transmission. My GF drives it for the most part, and she learned to drive standard on it. So not long after we got it, she had to get a new clutch, which wasn't surprising. Well now that we've had it a while, we've had to put 2 clutches in it and the car is starting to exhibit the same signs as it did right before the last 2 went out. I've rode along with her along with a few other people, and she's shifts and drives fine. So, we've been trying to narrow down what could be wrong with the car.

This is currently the 3rd clutch.

The clutch pedal broke, and had to be replaced.

The cruise control doesn't work, I'm guessing due to the clutch sensor not be reinstalled or reinstalled correctly.

When you shift from any gear to neutral, it's as if you leave it in gear for a few seconds with the clutch and the gas released. The engine idles down for maybe 3-4 seconds, which makes me think something in then tranny is dragging.

Also, the clutch doesn't seem as it should be. It can only be 1/2 way pushed, and it will still go into gear.

Any input or advice is really appreciated as I'm just starting to learn about these cars and don't know much about transmissions.

Thanks, Matt

Foozeh

forum member
Reaction score
The cruise control could be from when the pedal assembly was changed, IIRC there is 2 sensors on the clutch pedal and 1 on the brake. Basically crawl down there and make sure anything on the 2 pedals are plugged in and seated correctly.

The other symptoms seem to be from the last clutch replacement.
Was it a new oem clutch, used, or aftermarket? Also check the brake fluid reservoir and make sure there is enough fluid as the clutch is a hydraulic one on these cars. (brakes and clutch use the same fluid and reservoir )

matt3824

Reaction score
The clutch is just one from the auto parts store. I'll check the sensors and brake fluid and report back.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back