'11/'12 and '13 block differences

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Oil squirters are associated with any engine that is making good power/liter on cast pistons. This usually means FI, but is not exclusive. 15 years ago Honda was bulding engines with around 100 hp/liter, were using oil squirters, and no variation of those engines were ever turbo or supercharged from the factory. Since then they have continued to push the limits of cast pistons, and have kept the squirters.

Ford made the decision to go to forged pistons, making the squirters redundant. Decreased windage, less reciprocating mass on the piston, higher oil pressure and more stable oil pressure together are more beneficial than the additional (unnecessary) cooling of the pistons. It has nothing to do with cost cutting. The cost of the plugs for the squirters and the cost of forged pistons is much greater than the savings of eliminating the squirters.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Oil squirters are associated with any engine that is making good power/liter on cast pistons. This usually means FI, but is not exclusive. 15 years ago Honda was bulding engines with around 100 hp/liter, were using oil squirters, and no variation of those engines were ever turbo or supercharged from the factory. Since then they have continued to push the limits of cast pistons, and have kept the squirters.

Ford made the decision to go to forged pistons, making the squirters redundant. Decreased windage, less reciprocating mass on the piston, higher oil pressure and more stable oil pressure together are more beneficial than the additional (unnecessary) cooling of the pistons. It has nothing to do with cost cutting. The cost of the plugs for the squirters and the cost of forged pistons is much greater than the savings of eliminating the squirters.
the pistons aren't forged though (in the GT)

blackgt87

forum member
Reaction score

the pistons aren't forged though (in the GT)

Yeah the '13's don't have forged pistons, and the new blocks dont even have a place to put a plug or a squirter so they aren't spending money on either of those.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
:thud:My mistake, I guess the pistons are just treated different, not forged.

But anyway, the cost cutting bit aside, there still are reasons to eliminate them. I suspect they are partially responsible for the small power increase in the '13 GT.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
:thud:My mistake, I guess the pistons are just treated different, not forged.

But anyway, the cost cutting bit aside, there still are reasons to eliminate them. I suspect they are partially responsible for the small power increase in the '13 GT.
yes. the lack of oil squirters frees up some windage in the higher rpm's.

im curious to see how this affects piston longevity under boost though. the coating im sure helps as far as friction is concerned, but idk how they'll handle 8lbs of boost with 11:1 cr. i guess we'll see.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So this question might not have an answer, or it may. If the late 12's have the same block and pistons as the 13's does that mean the car has the 420 hp? Would the stock tune be different than an 11 / early 12?

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So this question might not have an answer, or it may. If the late 12's have the same block and pistons as the 13's does that mean the car has the 420 hp? Would the stock tune be different than an 11 / early 12?
The new block should be '13 model year only. Build date 2/27/2013 and later. I would guess the late '12s do have the squirter deletes though. Which, IMO, should bump hp to the 420. As soon as someone blows up a late '12 we'll be able to confirm what they actually have as far as squirters.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
The new block should be '13 model year only. Build date 2/27/2013 and later. I would guess the late '12s do have the squirter deletes though. Which, IMO, should bump hp to the 420. As soon as someone blows up a late '12 we'll be able to confirm what they actually have as far as squirters.

So do the late 12's have the 2013 pistons? Did you ever get one in to look at to confirm? My car was built on 2/22/2012.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
So do the late 12's have the 2013 pistons? Did you ever get one in to look at to confirm? My car was built on 2/22/2012.
The late '12s have their own piston part number. I have one coming in that I'll be able to compare to the others. As of right now, I don't know anything about it.

R1V3R5

5-Oh!
Reaction score
The late '12s have their own piston part number. I have one coming in that I'll be able to compare to the others. As of right now, I don't know anything about it.

As someone with a 1/12 build date, I look forward to see what differences you find.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
My build date is 6/2011. This should be interesting.

You have the early parts. Late '12 would be 12/08/11 and later.

Here's the break down:

03/22/2010 - 12/07/2011, is part number BR3Z-6108-F (original piston).
12/08/2011 - 02/26/2012, is part number BR3Z-6108-FB (unknown piston).
02/27/2012 - Present, is part number BR3Z-6108-FC (upgraded).

Last edited:

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody know if you can get the boss pistons by themselves? All I see is the entire set with rods.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
Anybody know if you can get the boss pistons by themselves? All I see is the entire set with rods.

Yes, they're sold individually through Ford. Part number CR3Z-6108-A. But, they're $65 each and don't include rings or pins.

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I dont see the big deal..

there is nothing to state the 2013's design is better for more HP apps. Even if there is I'm sure tune can negate any improvements.. So I dont see a peace of mind for people that want a blower.

--LS Dir. of instrumental moronic society

Mystickeith50

forum member
Reaction score
I dont see the big deal..

there is nothing to state the 2013's design is better for more HP apps. Even if there is I'm sure tune can negate any improvements.. So I dont see a peace of mind for people that want a blower.

--LS Dir. of instrumental moronic society

U are exactly right....plus no one will ever convince me that a mass produced car under 40k has changes like this for no other reason than money. Either they find a cheaper way to do it, or a faster way etc. If they were concerned about giving us a "great" engine they would have had forged internals stock especially when building an 11:1 mill pumping over 400 hp and revving to 7k. It's all about the pennies they save.

Back