18" AMR Wheel Brembo Brake Fitment Issue

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've been running 18" AMR wheels on all four corners for my "competition" tires when I go to autocross events. They fit perfect with the stock GT brakes.

Yesterday, I installed a GT500 brake kit (the older 4-piston one found on the BOSS 302, etc). According to your website, the 18" wheels will fit on GT500s equipped with these brakes.

This morning, I decided to make sure they fit. The spokes and everything cleared the brakes with plenty of room to spare. The inside concave surface of the wheel was a tight fit, but there seemed to still be enough tolerance. The problem is that the stick-on wheel weights do not clear the calipers. I tried to take a picture of this as best I could.

To me, these wheel weights look like they're not close enough to the outside edge of that surface. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they could be moved "closer" (towards the camera) by about an inch or so. I think that would enable them to clear the calipers as the largest part of the caliper is right where the wheel weights are sitting right now.

Have you folks had any experience fitting the 18" AMR wheels to Brembo-equipped cars? If moving the weights doesn't fix this issue, could the older hammer-on-style weights be used instead?

Attachments

• 2013-09-02_09-16-31_189.jpg
    2013-09-02_09-16-31_189.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 90

AMWill

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sky_Render,

I agree, the 18" AMR's are definitely a tight fit for brembo applications. The only way we've been able to successfully use them with setups like this is to apply the stick-on weights closer to the center of the rim, past the caliber. Then apply the second stick-on weights in the normal position at the edge of the rim closest to the engine, when mounted.

Using the weights in these positions will still maintain a good wheel balance and clear your brake calibers with no issues. We've mounted tons of wheel/tire combo packages like this too!

I hope this helps get you situated and ready for the track. Horsepower season/weather is on its way!

Shane

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
That's what we did on mine. We couldn't place the weights close to the spokes, we had to place them deeper in the wheel, and then at the inner lip (stick on). They balanced out perfectly, so no problem.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ah, so you place the weights closer to the center? About how close to the edge do they need to be?

What about between the spokes on the outermost portion? That would be ugly, though

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AMWill

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
The weight just needs to be past the main caliber in the front. Which is roughly the center of the wheel. Then place the second set of weights in the normal position, close to the innermost edge of the wheel.

That's all it takes and you'll be trouble free!

Shane

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the help. I'm going to try to get them to a tire shop this week to get the weights moved!

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Revival from the dead: I'm glad this works as I just ordered these wheels in 18x9 and 18x10 from AM based on the fitment support for the early GT500. I have the Brembo brake package ready to go on and was starting to sweat a bit...

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Revival from the dead: I'm glad this works as I just ordered these wheels in 18x9 and 18x10 from AM based on the fitment support for the early GT500. I have the Brembo brake package ready to go on and was starting to sweat a bit...

Hey Boss - Definitely a thread from the dead!

If for any reason you're running into a snag don't hesitate to let me know and I'm here to help.

Thanks so much for your support and business and post up some pictures once they're on the car so I can take a look.

Alex

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Alex I have ordered and received the AMR 18" wheels in 18x9 and 18 x10, the tires, and the Brembo big brake kit. Given the weather I doubt I will get to this until Spring but will holler your way if I need some help.

sent from my cell phone...

AMAlexLazarus

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Alex I have ordered and received the AMR 18" wheels in 18x9 and 18 x10, the tires, and the Brembo big brake kit. Given the weather I doubt I will get to this until Spring but will holler your way if I need some help.

Boss - Sorry about the delay I was ill yesterday.

Rest assured if absolutely anything we're to come up I'm here to help so don't hesitate to let me know!

Alex

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Pic:
27e2095a724976d8f44fe918817b1cad.jpg

Boss281

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back