'18 GT 10-spd auto dyno numbers: 415/397

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That engine and trans in a foxbody........heaven.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
no metric radial tire will hold this much power. Tire size needs to start with 28.0 x etc...

Maybe the computer stuff will still work but if not you'd step into it at any speed up to 50 mph and just start melting the tires. Pretty neat!

It will be more about compound rather than size at that power level. Which is I think what you mean. Any regular street tire short of a drag radial variant won't suffice.

But 12.0 on a street tire...pretty Damn good!

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that's a HEAVY bitch.

Fixed it for ya. LOL! Heavy is an understatement. Full weight with the TVS package and larger capacity H.E., AND leaving the jack and spare in the trunk mine weighs 3725 without driver, as a 14 premium w/auto.

Curious what the weight of the new auto tranny is. That may be adding to the equation, aside from the Development team's desire to make the car more European in style/ride and less American Muscle Car.

Sad to think that with the removal of 100-150 pounds the car could be an 11.90 car on a good day from the show room floor. Very impressive given the flywheel HP rating Ford placed on the spec sheet.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
It will be more about compound rather than size at that power level. Which is I think what you mean. Any regular street tire short of a drag radial variant won't suffice.

Those oem rears sorta appear to be aprx a 255 width, per the pix on the 1st posting. Does anybody know ? Let's say they are a 255. A 305 / 315 MPSS on a 11" wide rim would still be a helluva lot better. That's another 50/60mm wider right there. If they included some ecu smarts incorporated into the mix, ideally it would up shift 1 or 2 gears, to regain some traction. That coupled with wider tires might be the ticket for typ street use.

But if ur gonna take it to the strip, may as well bring along some sticky rubber, or drive to the strip with drag radials already installed beforehand.

fourdegrees11

forum member
Reaction score
So this just got posted

NCEZ8z2.jpg

Might not be real though

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Sucks that they didnt do anything about the weight of the S550 platform

zswb21X.jpg

Maybe next time they update the platform they will follow chevy's lead and knock at least 200 lbs off. My 12 with the few mods I have weighs 3500 lbs on 1/4 tank of gas

They are worried about selling it in Europe. Safety requirements and sound deadening.

I have been saying since 2015, they should save the heavy shit for a lincoln version of the S550. Call it a zepyr or something. Power it with a 3.5 EB to start warming americans up to the idea of a turbo v6 muscle car (us having to work with small engines and turbos is inevitable). Then in europe sell the zephyr with mustang body panels on it.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
I really wonder how much is left in the tank for an N/A 5.0l v8?

There's about four 2018 GTs available locally for sale right now. All are $41k+, and likely without any discount. As much as I would like a 2018 there's just no way I could justify trading in my paid off 12 and still having to take on a $25k+ loan.

100% agree with each of your points here.
It really makes you start to look at how much energy is in optimal AFR and how much air fuel mixture you can possibly get in at 29.92 inches of mercury and a 7500 rpm 5 liter V8. Someone smarter than me can do that math but without tech to collect the waste heat, the wall for what can be done NA has got to be approaching, no?

As for the price...yeah. Your 2012+ $25000 makes no sense. There’s something about the $40k barrier that makes me want to forget about it and just mod the car I have (and love).

Think of what you could do with that s197 with even half of that $25k investment!

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score

I agree here.

Don’t forget that a 4400lb Hellcat can run solidly in the mid-low 11s on 275s. Contact patch helps a lot but a 285 probably wouldn’t be the limiting factor assuming you had a good summer compound tire.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

There's a still a bit can be done, but it's all cost prohibitive. Freevalve would probably revolutionize the ICE if made mainstream and Nissan's variable compression engines have promise; two things that article didn't even address since it was written over a year ago. I think there are still things out there to improve what we think is a dinosaur on its way to extinction.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just found it to be an interesting article. I see some parallels. More complex is more expensive and more prone to small problems causing big headaches. Powertrains, and other systems, have very quickly evolved into a complex interconnected state. My '93 GT is simple, almost archaic, by comparison to an '18 GT. My 2005 had a control unit to run all the lights. Why?

These is something to be said for independent parallel systems. But I digress.

These initial '18 GT performance stats are amazing.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
A huge thing holding engines back still is internal friction. We just have to wait for oil and machining technology to come along.

a camless engine (valves powered by hydrolic solenoids) will open a whole new range or power.

emissions is also holding back engines. One of the reasons motors run rich from the factory is to make combustion produce less NOx in trade for other things.

I think we also are aware that when the coyote came out in 2011 in was nowhere near doing everything it could. They know things need to grow as competition changes, and they don't want another of what happened with the 3 valve where all that R&D got tore out and replaced after only 5 years on limited platforms.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
Furthermore the otto cycle in general is inefficient. but it safely produces rotational power with liquid fuel so we keep doing it.

46addict

Reaction score
I am trying to pick up what you're putting down, Nutcase, and I have some questions. I thought the richer mixture was to add a safety buffer for the cylinders and to prevent cats from overheating, not to reduce NOx emissions. I think lacing fuels with ethanol, raising operating temps, adding compression, and variable valve timing, etc do more to reduce emissions than running a richer tune.

As for the Otto cycles being inefficient, are you implying Atkinson engines are better? The latter is more at home in hybrids I thought, not performance cars.

46addict

Reaction score
Diesels don't have such a narrow stoich ratio and the engines come with exhaust regen systems now, which gas engines don't have. Makes me wonder if diesel fuel itself inherently emits more NOx than gasoline.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
I just can't get past that ugly front end.

Quoting your girlfriend? :)

I hear ya...I still like it better than the ‘15-‘17 cars. The lower hood line makes a huge difference, IMO.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back