2.8H kenne bell trade for f1A????

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
I've been going back and forth with keeping my kenne bell or selling it and going for an F1A. I currently have a motor build in the works 9:5.1 compression cnc ported heads, comp cam stage 3 xfi blower cam with 4r70w on Tb. My car on 15psi at Bakersfield ran 10.30 at 133mph of the foot break last time I had it out. Since I have the blower off waiting on the motor to be done I figured it could be a possibility but I will need other thing for the procharger like intake manifold diff throttle body and so forth.... What do you guys think will be the best to reach my goal of low 9s ????

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=50096&stc=1&d=1412355859

Last edited:

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a dedicated drag car? Why not turn up the boost on your current blower? That Mammoth is barely working at 15psi. I would maximize your current combination before going a different direction.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you will most likely need a higher stall converter if you go with a centrifugal since their power band doesn't come in nearly as low as a screw type blower. That may even mean a new converter if you have a 10.5" converter since they have a limit on how high they can be stalled.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a dedicated drag car? Why not turn up the boost on your current blower? That Mammoth is barely working at 15psi. I would maximize your current combination before going a different direction.

I would say more on the drag side but I like to drive it on the street on the weekends and to the track bc I don't own a truck or trailer. Also, I know it's not at high boost but the belt issues suck even with an 8rib set up with double tensioner. I know about the belt drive it's just too expensive and the instant power is nice but hard on the car that I've had a procharger p1 with a 5speed then converted to a 2.3whipple and then 2.8h with the auto.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
Twin Screw or Twin Turbos. THAT should be the topic of discussion.

Yeah I thought about the twin turbo kit from S&h and contacted them when I had someone interested in blower, but decided to keep the KB to not have to change out cams and the headache of getting it together that's why I was thinking of a F1A.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that you will most likely need a higher stall converter if you go with a centrifugal since their power band doesn't come in nearly as low as a screw type blower. That may even mean a new converter if you have a 10.5" converter since they have a limit on how high they can be stalled.

Yeah that's another issue and more gearing probably 4.10s and I want a nice intake manifold for no restrictions too.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score

blownGTvert

forum member
Reaction score
I would say more on the drag side but I like to drive it on the street on the weekends and to the track bc I don't own a truck or trailer. Also, I know it's not at high boost but the belt issues suck even with an 8rib set up with double tensioner. I know about the belt drive it's just too expensive and the instant power is nice but hard on the car that I've had a procharger p1 with a 5speed then converted to a 2.3whipple and then 2.8h with the auto.

The DOB belt drive would be a lot less expensive than going to a different power adder. I have one on my car and it performs flawlessly.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
The DOB belt drive would be a lot less expensive than going to a different power adder. I have one on my car and it performs flawlessly.

You are right on that one, do you have any pics of your setup

Alfiedagr8

forum member
Reaction score
I second the belt set up... DOB is great to deal with... You from Bako ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
I second the belt set up... DOB is great to deal with... You from Bako ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From Los Angeles area, but drive the car to Bakersfield to race that Fontana was closed for a little bit. I have to end up purchasing the DOB after I get the funds. Bc I need to reach 20+ to reach enough power to run low 9s or some spray on top of it.

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
My motor is finally complete. I still have my KB and will end buying a DOB once I gather the funds. For now, I'm thinking 17psi + 75shot. The reason I say this is because with too much boost I will have belt issue even though I don't want the extra work preparing my car for the track with nitrous or possibly more of a risk at breaking it. We are thinking of squeezing it in 3rd gear. I would be happy with 800rwhp thru my 4r70w. Any thoughts about running nitrous and blower?

http://http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51223&stc=1&d=1420696907

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
My motor is finally complete. I still have my KB and will end buying a DOB once I gather the funds. For now, I'm thinking 17psi + 75shot. The reason I say this is because with too much boost I will have belt issue even though I don't want the extra work preparing my car for the track with nitrous or possibly more of a risk at breaking it. We are thinking of squeezing it in 3rd gear. I would be happy with 800rwhp thru my 4r70w. Any thoughts about running nitrous and blower?

http://http://www.s197forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=51223&stc=1&d=1420696907

The Mammoth you've got is capable of 800 rwhp all day long. I'm running 16 psi with E85 and it's putting down 726 rwhp which is ridiculous for the street as it is. I have zero issues with belt slip and I'm running the 8 rib kit with a UPR billet tensioner. To hit 800 rwhp your going to need about 23 psi. Your still a couple lbs below max blower efficiency. And if your worried about belt slip at 23 psi, Department of Boost makes a 10 rib belt drive kit for around 1200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new blower setup if you only want to stay around the 800 rwhp range.

Also it sounds like you want fun on the street and on the track. For that matter I would keep the KB. Nothing kicks your ass harder and instantly than a PD blower. To me that's the "fun factor". If you were mostly a track guy I'd say F1-A all day long.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
The Mammoth you've got is capable of 800 rwhp all day long. I'm running 16 psi with E85 and it's putting down 726 rwhp which is ridiculous for the street as it is. I have zero issues with belt slip and I'm running the 8 rib kit with a UPR billet tensioner. To hit 800 rwhp your going to need about 23 psi. Your still a couple lbs below max blower efficiency. And if your worried about belt slip at 23 psi, Department of Boost makes a 10 rib belt drive kit for around 2000 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new blower setup if you only want to stay around the 800 rwhp range.

Also it sounds like you want fun on the street and on the track. For that matter I would keep the KB. Nothing kicks your ass harder and instantly than a PD blower. To me that's the "fun factor". If you were mostly a track guy I'd say F1-A all day long.

Fixed

Len20hun

forum member
Reaction score
The Mammoth you've got is capable of 800 rwhp all day long. I'm running 16 psi with E85 and it's putting down 726 rwhp which is ridiculous for the street as it is. I have zero issues with belt slip and I'm running the 8 rib kit with a UPR billet tensioner. To hit 800 rwhp your going to need about 23 psi. Your still a couple lbs below max blower efficiency. And if your worried about belt slip at 23 psi, Department of Boost makes a 10 rib belt drive kit for around 1200 bucks. Hell of a lot cheaper than a whole new blower setup if you only want to stay around the 800 rwhp range.

Nice! I eventually would like to go with a 326ci or that new ford racing 5.3L short block to make more than 800. I just don't want to blow it up fast so I can enjoy it for a while. I see why you car make that much power with little boost bc of that big bore . I'm assuming this power level is thru an auto?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back