2 post or 4 post lift experiences/advice

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience using a 2 or 4 post lift in their life.
I have the opportunity to add either one to my garage.

Mechanics please chime in.

What do you have and why it's the best choice.

My garage height is 13' 6"
Width is only 13'8"

I would prefer not to modify the structure dimensions at this time.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I have a two post lift my buddies we split the cost of. Only downside to the two post is we can't do subframes on it. But we do everything else with it. We do joke around about getting a drive on for subframes and things we don't need access to the suspension for.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
^Thanks, I am trying to figure out exactly what you can and can't do with either.

I haven't tried it but apparently it's pretty easy to get an engine out of these cars with the 2 post.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
I'd go with a 2 post. Most of the stuff I'd need a lift for requires the wheels off, which you can't really do with a 4 post. Same goes with any suspension work. If you wanted to drop the engine and trans from the bottom it would be nearly impossible with a 4 post. Only downside to a 2 post is having to position the arms under the car instead of just driving on, really not that big of a deal.

06silverbullet

forum member
Reaction score
have used both like others have said, you can do almost everything with a 2 post but a 4 post limits a lot if things like suspension ect.
i prefer 2 post

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
We've got both at our shop, the 2 posts always have vehicles on them while the 4 post can sometimes be found empty for a couple hours. We do all of our exhaust work and trans work on the 4, but nearly everything else is on the 2. Much more versatile and I believe they're cheaper (not that either is cheap).

One thing to consider about the 4 post is ground clearance. My car can't even make it on there anymore past the built in jacks and it's only lowered 1.5"

G.T

Reaction score
i have 5x 2 post lifts and 1x 4 post
the 4 post is good when you need to do loaded suspension work, and it's easier to just drive the car on and lift it.

you can have the best of both worlds by getting a 4 post with an auxiliary lift.. even better if you can dig up 2-4" below the lift so it sits flush with the shop floor, in case you need to push a car, or lift a slammed one

note that 4 post lifts have less clearance under them

HG6283

Granny Shifter
Reaction score
I bought a 4-post. I'm a bit clumsy and I just know I'd be putting dents in my door with a 2-post. Also, the floor was already poured so I was worried that it wouldn't be thick or strong enough for a 2-post.

Wraith

forum member
Reaction score
We have a four post at my fathers house and his 2010 CJ sits on top and a 07 super snake on the bottom. I can say its great for stacking cars but as for working......

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2 post in his uncles classic car shop we have used for years working on various cars including mustangs. The only annoyance we run into is our late model mustangs being lowered won't clear the arms, so we have to jack up from the diff to set the front arms, and then lower the car on to the lift. Adds a couple minutes to the process but it's just an annoyance. Other than that we can do everything INCLUDING sub frames on that 2 post. To do sub frames you'll need those tall adjustable jack stands. I suggest having them anyway, they come in handy for keeping the car rigid while in the air and cranking on a high torque bolt or holding a tranny up while you get bolts tightened. All kinds of useful stuff.

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
I am limited for space on either side at 13'8" getting down and having to jack the car up just to get it on the lift would be a massive pain in the ass.
I am sure they must make a low profile arm.

4 post is definately the easiest for me, more expensive but there is the auxillary lift to accomplish the unloaded suspension tasks.

Being able to yank that engine out tho.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I have a four post with two trollies that allow the entire vehicle to be lifted off the platform or just a single corner for unloaded suspension work, tire changes, etc.

I looked at it from several perspectives, how often certain maintenance will be performed, space available, parking additional vehicles overhead, etc.

Engine and transmission removal are low occurance maintenance items and while a two-post is better for this particular aspect, I didn't see it as outweighing the other perspectives.

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2 post in his uncles classic car shop we have used for years working on various cars including mustangs. The only annoyance we run into is our late model mustangs being lowered won't clear the arms, so we have to jack up from the diff to set the front arms, and then lower the car on to the lift. Adds a couple minutes to the process but it's just an annoyance. Other than that we can do everything INCLUDING sub frames on that 2 post. To do sub frames you'll need those tall adjustable jack stands. I suggest having them anyway, they come in handy for keeping the car rigid while in the air and cranking on a high torque bolt or holding a tranny up while you get bolts tightened. All kinds of useful stuff.

You can always drive your car onto some wood so you don't have to use Jack's for the arms. I use to use 3/4" mdf so I could get on my ramps without scraping or to get a jack under the car that would not fit without.

wabirch

Bill
Reaction score
I will design my garage rebuild for rafters that allow for maximum lift clearance and plan a 4 post for it.

pics06gtstang

forum member
Reaction score
We have a four post at my fathers house and his 2010 CJ sits on top and a 07 super snake on the bottom. I can say its great for stacking cars but as for working......
THAT SHIT IS UPSIDE DOWN !
jeep goes on the bottom and the snake is always on top !!! :thud:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there...have you considered something like this:

https://excel-equipment.com/bendpak-lr-60p-6-000lb-low-rise-portable-lift.html

I am really wanting something like this, since a "real" two post or four post is out of the question for me. My garage just isn't big enough for the real deal.

lr-60p.jpg

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I've done all my work on a 4 post because that's all the base shops have now that I've been too. I cannot tell you how many times I've bumped my head on those damn things. The only merit I can really give it is the board are a great place for tool storage during a job. Get a 2 post and enjoy

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
I've had 2 2 post lift. A full size one at my old house and a max jax at the current house. A 4 post is useless to me for my transaxle cars. Can't drop a transaxle on a 4 post.

I can't live without one now. Once you have a lift you will wonder how you lived without one.

New house max jax setup
upload_-1.jpg

Old house, atlas 9000
20130421_164824.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back