2007 GT1000TSR Epic Build Thread!

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
Hahaha find a damn good machinist and start learning. That's what I did. Still learning every day.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Because the car is supposed to do some standing mile stuff at some point, and Alex and I have a hard on for aero, we decided to do a belly pan for the car. This was no easy task. There is a TON of work into doing this right.. You can’t just staple a bunch of coreplas up there and expect it to stay on at 200+mph (maybe causing a crash) or not melt. This project has over 60 man hours in it, 50! And we work pretty fast.

The paneling is a aluminum honeycomb sandwiched between two .020 sheets of aluminum and epoxied together. It is very light and very rigid. Not exactly cheap, but not really expensive either. A 4x8 sheet was $180 but I had to drive 5hrs round trip to get it. Shipping costs were crazy.

First step was to make brackets. This was a big deal and took a lot of trial and error. I couldn’t afford for the panels to come off so we went nuts with attachment points. I also wanted to be able to remove them fast if need be. So all of the fasteners needed to be “blind”. We used Riv-Nuts almost everywhere.

Once the brackets were done it was time to start mocking things up with cardboard.

571_zpsa59a49af.jpg

Then transfer the cardboard to the panels.

572_zps105818bc.jpg

Then make sure they fit.

573_zps321766ac.jpg

Alex spun out some aluminum “bobbins” for where the fasteners would go, counter sunk the panels and then epoxied them in. I spent 8hrs! trimming the panels with aluminum tape. The panels have the honeycomb open on the edges. It looks like crap, will allow dirt and stuff into the panel and will possibly start to deteriorate. I sealed up all of the edges with the aluminum tape to prevent this from happening. And it could be done in long runs, I had to cut little pieces so I could get around corners, etc. I also heat shielded the panels 6” in from where they ran next to the exhaust. I also pulled the exhaust and did the entire length with header wrap. The last thing I wanted to do was melt a panel. And lastly I sprayed them with a really thin coat of bed-liner for durability and so they look finished.

574_zpse7ea0439.jpg

http://i1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh489/Departmentofboost/GT1000TSR Build Pics/575_zps91d07447.jpg

Here they are on the car.

576_zps11e2b295.jpg

577_zps143f1d72.jpg

578_zps29eccdaa.jpg

57_zps4197fd23.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I wanted a DS loop on the car for safety reason (I’ve had a DS drop and pole vault me at 100mph before). The problem was that no one made a DS loop for the T-56 Magnum. One guy did some prototype stuff for Lakewood for the T-56 that I met and he gave me one, but it wouldn’t fit because of how my exhaust is set up. So we made one. I had some BMR loops I purchased years ago though, so we cut some stuff of them we could use and got to it.

60_zps13eee8b4.jpg

The “arms” in this picture I cut off some scrap “cart” that was out back and then ground all the paint/rust off of them. They had just the right bend in them. They were welded together.

61_zpsf51f5d15.jpg

Then the arms were welded to the T-56 cross member.

62_zps07f95657.jpg

Then the BMR loop that I re-purposed was welded on.

63_zpsd1417dc0.jpg

A quick coat of paint and it was done.

64_zpsb727f475.jpg

You can kind of see it in the car here (probably should have pained it red or yellow). It conforms to NHRA standards.

65_zps468f0fdb.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
In our quest for aero and cooling I started to look hard into the hood situation. I want a Tiger Racing hood but one, I’m not sure if it will clear the blower. And two, I can never seem to find the $1000 for one. Just for fun I popped the vents out of the GT500 hood and measured the opening. Then I measured the openings on a Tiger racing hood (Alex had one). To my surprise the GT500 hood had bigger opening without the vents in there. But, the way the Tiger Racing vents are laid out they will extract air better. But at least I was on to something. I decided to cut the bracing out of the hood (which needed to be trimmed to clear the blower anyway) and then hack up the vents so they were “open”. And I had a set of cheap hood louvers that I figured we may as well use. I have three GT500 hoods all in vista blue that I didn’t pay for. Screw it, experimenting is fun!

Here is what was cut out of the hood. The GT500 vents are almost a third covered (from the bottom) with bracing. This opened them up quite a bit.

702_zps45801c77.jpg

701_zps2a77f12b.jpg

My total hack job on opening up the vents (I did it with a utility knife), just to see if it worked. I have multiple sets of these too. They opened WAY up.

703_zps323a526c.jpg

704_zps5fe36c74.jpg

All the vents installed.

705_zps60fa93f9.jpg

And this is probably the cleanest the car has ever been!

70_zps8eec8637.jpg

The opening up of the hood was a huge improvement. Over 40-45mph underhood temps are only a few deg above ambient (I have a temp sensor under there), which is huge. Those vents are moving some serious air. When sitting through a light, only one light they will go up 50-60deg, but cool right back down when moving.

Now we are pretty much up to date. Time for this seasons do-over.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Current goals for the car:

-1000 real deal HP on e85. This is 1000 all the time, not some 3sec hero run on the dyno under perfect conditions. 1000hp all the time.

-Still able to drive it at the road race track with no cooling issues.

-Still able to drive it on the street, sit in traffic if I need to, etc.

-220+mph in the standing mile.

-Not embarrassed to show people the car because the fit and finish is not up to my standards.

-Reliable.

This years Plans:

This is really the first time putting pen to paper, this list may get silly.

-Completely new e85 fuel system front to back, every single part. Fore triple pump hat with one 340 and two 465’s. Fore pump controller, Fore regulator, Fore rails. I got the Fore stuff from Jeremy at S&H (thanks man!). Super nice stuff, I’ll post pics soon. I haven’t gotten PTFE (e85 safe) lines yet because I haven’t decided what I want to use. It will be fabric/Kevlar line though. I’ll never do stainless again. Injectors are still up in the air too, haven’t decided what I want to use yet.

-The IC system is getting another do-over. It’s all plumbed with 3/4" line right now. I’m gauging it up to 1.25” all the way through. This is a HUGE deal. The HE’s need to be removed, the fittings need to be cut out of them and then 1.25” fittings welded in. A lot of the stuff around the HE’s will have to be modded to clear the big fittings. The expansion tank will need to be modded at the least and maybe completely re-done. And this time instead of running the lines to the rear HE under the car they are going right through the cabin with bulkhead connectors at the firewall and the rear bulkhead. I will make it pretty though. I’m looking to go from my estimated 6gpm of water flow to somewhere in the 20gpm range. It’s going to suck though, 1.25” fittings are HUGE! It is going to be stuffing 10lb of shit into 5lb buckets most of the time. And of course 1.25” stuff is not cheap!

-I’ll be running the first Gen III R-Spec manifold which is in process right now.

-I’m going to put bigger cams in, not sure which ones. Either 550’s or some sort of custom grind. I may need valve springs too. They will be locked out with a V-10 conversion.

-The rear control arms are getting upgraded to BMR “solids” because race car. I’m sick of messing with other control arms. I need some race car stuff back there. The control arms are already here (thanks Kelly!), and are beefy! I’m waiting on fasteners. I ordered some big daddy 10.9 zinc plated jobbies to replace all of the factory TTY stuff. I have had a clunk back there that has been driving me nuts, so I’m putting a stop to all that crap. I went so far as to have Alex spin me out some stainless spacers/bushings that take up the slop between the bolt and mount in a few spots. This clunking crap is going to stop right now.

-I’m going to finally stop drawing crankcase air through the blower and instead run “breathers”. But I’m going to run a Steff’s tank/catch can which will be fed by a -12 coming off of each valve cover.

-I’m finally going to finish the rear diffuser.

-I’m going to cut a new front splitter (identical to the one on there) because the one on there is crappy looking around the edges. Then paint it with some bed liner (light coat).

-I’m finally going to install the trans and diff coolers.

-I’m not doing a wire tuck yet, but I will be cleaning a lot of the wiring up.

-I’m going to finally finish trimming out the rear seat area. After the roll bar went in and the rear bulkhead I didn’t do anything with it, it looks like crap.

-We’re cutting the stock T-56 Magnum shifter up and then putting an arm on it that is not rubber isolated (that drives me crazy!!!).

Pretty stuff:

-Powdercoat front cover and valve covers in wrinkle black.

-Powdercoat the aluminum tanks under the hood wrinkle black.

-Anodize intake manifold red.

-Anodize the belt kit and brackets in black and red.

-Maybe anodize the TB red.

-Fix/paint the firewall.

Stuff I want to do:

-I would like to put a newer/bigger AIM dash in it if I have the $$$. I probably won’t.

-I would like to run the new SCT Livewire TS thing if I have the $$$, I probably won’t.

-I would like to put a Tiger Racing hood on it if I have the $$$$, I probably won’t.

Well, that’s all the big stuff. There are about 10,000 small details that need to be addressed though. I’ll be taking more pics this time around.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Change your Mirrors! Awesome car. This now my favorite on the boards. Keep the hood.

What's wrong with the mirrors? I can see stuff behind me (which is a lot of stuff!).:clap:

I would like to keep the hood, if not just for the $$ savings. I need to make some better looking vents and then replace the louvered part with something that dips down like the 13+ GT's, but functional.

Thanks for the kind words!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You need the car to do it?

I can copy what I have and then you could screw with getting it to fit. Or, if I had your car I can make one just for your car and it would be perfect. If you come up with your car it can be done for a lot, lot less. You will of course be doing a lot of work though. Like taping those edges and doing the heat shielding! That sucked!:beerchug2:

I just tried calling you.......

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Jason, it all looks good. You will be amazed at how it behaves and cools with e85. The sooner you switch the sooner you will realize what's needed and not needed. I think that a streetable 1000rwhp is possible with e85 as the fuel.

I might of missed something but I didn't see a final engine configuration. The GT500 5.8 would do the trick nicely. I also think that locked out 127550 with an icl of 108-112 would work just fine for air movement up top of the rpm range.

Looking forward to the final definitions and impressions of this car. It will be a beast.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
It's the R-Spec gen III with the 3.4L whipple. That only fits on the 3v 4.6L motor. Not sure if it's stock displacement though.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Jason, it all looks good. You will be amazed at how it behaves and cools with e85. The sooner you switch the sooner you will realize what's needed and not needed. I think that a streetable 1000rwhp is possible with e85 as the fuel.

I can't wait! With the most ridiculous IC system devised and e85 it should be really consistent.

I might of missed something but I didn't see a final engine configuration. The GT500 5.8 would do the trick nicely. I also think that locked out 127550 with an icl of 108-112 would work just fine for air movement up top of the rpm range.
I'm cheaping out. The 4.6L with CNC heads is going to stay in the car. It will live......or it won't. If it doesn't live I'll probably go with a BOSS block big bore. I hope it lives, at least for a while.

Looking forward to the final definitions and impressions of this car.
Me too!

It will be a beast.
I'm hoping for terrifying!:omfg:

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
I would like to keep the hood, if not just for the $$ savings. I need to make some better looking vents and then replace the louvered part with something that dips down like the 13+ GT's, but functional.

Since you have an "Alex", what about making a "die" to punch the offset into the hood? Two pieces done male/female over the finished hole that when pressed together would create a lip the louvers would fit into flush like the factory vents? Greenlee makes a special hydraulic ram for punching out electrical knockout with an arm that could be used to press the dies.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Since you have an "Alex", what about making a "die" to punch the offset into the hood? Two pieces done male/female over the finished hole that when pressed together would create a lip the louvers would fit into flush like the factory vents? Greenlee makes a special hydraulic ram for punching out electrical knockout with an arm that could be used to press the dies.

I like the idea, but it doesn't work with my theory of bodywork. I come from a roadrace background. I build stuff to crash and be easily replaced/replicated. Custom of high effort bodywork, splitters, etc are not in my game plan. This car will be in a gravel trap at a minimum, in the grass, or maybe a tire wall or barrier. Cutting up another hood is no big deal, doing all of that counter sinking, man, I'm way too lazy!!!

If this was a street only car I would have done a lot of stuff nicer/differently.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back