2008 Stage 3 ROUSH - Rebirth...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Stand alones is a walk on the park, lol.

You need to start doing at least 3rd gear runs.

I feel sorry for people who can't at least do a few pulls a year in 3rd on the road for tuning, but completely understand. I just end up out at my acreage - leave the house around 7:00 AM, and everything is completely deserted for miles. You still have to worry about animals. Lots of moose out there now...

Can't believe you can get much useful data from WOT 2nd gear pulls!

A second gear pull for me still ends up around 80 if I take it to the 7200 rpm redline. I get plenty of data. It's the way I have to do things. It gets fine tuned on a dyno. Generally the first dyno pull is rich.

One of the HP airports is only a few miles away and they do patrol. Like I said a third gear pull for me would be jail time. About 30 days worth with probation thereafter.

There is a dynapack in Everett. I have no set plans to go right now. Didn't know you had a bad experience Gerald. As I understand it MSC now has a relationship with lito. The dyno is very repeatable, even if it is a dynojet. Cam is fairly knowledgeable when it comes to motor stuff. I've seen him tuning stand alone vehicles before. This is without value files to start with which really throws a wrench into the whole procedure.

I use MT ET Street Radials
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialII
I currently have 305/35/18. I would like to try 305/45/18; but not sure they will fit between in the wheel gap.

I've run 305/45/18 before. No issues but I'm only lowered about 1/4" with v6 springs.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
One of the HP airports is only a few miles away and they do patrol. Like I said a third gear pull for me would be jail time. About 30 days worth with probation thereafter.

I've run 305/45/18 before. No issues but I'm only lowered about 1/4" with v6 springs.

Highway Patrol airport!!!???? They air patrol? WHERE!!??:thud:

What are you running now? Do you have a wheel with that tire size I can test fit?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Highway Patrol airport!!!???? They air patrol? WHERE!!??:thud:

What are you running now? Do you have a wheel with that tire size I can test fit?

The airport is about 10 miles north of you. AFAIK they mostly patrol I5.

Right now I'm running 275/45/18 for wet months and 275/50/17 drag radials in the summer.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
The airport is about 10 miles north of you. AFAIK they mostly patrol I5.

Right now I'm running 275/45/18 for wet months and 275/50/17 drag radials in the summer.

So its true, they have air patrol on I5...? Do you know what areas?
Man, I hate air patrol, its the only form of speed patrol thats not detectable. I guess if you had some sort of radio scanner for airplanes.
(I need one!!)

Why are you running such a tall tire for wet months; as opposed to 275/40s?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So its true, they have air patrol on I5...? Do you know what areas?
Man, I hate air patrol, its the only form of speed patrol thats not detectable. I guess if you had some sort of radio scanner for airplanes.
(I need one!!)

Why are you running such a tall tire for wet months; as opposed to 275/40s?

I don't like the looks of smaller tires. I don't think it's all that tall. I've had 275/40 and they just look hokey on a Mustang to me. In fact any 40 just isn't right. I need 45 or 50 for 17 and 18" tires. They also go well with my 4.10 rear gears.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
They don't offer 305/40s...only 305/45 or 305/35. At least for MTs.

I get it with the MT offerings. Nitto makes the 305-40-18. It would be interesting to know how long these DR's last for DD spring /summer use. The NT-555R has a tread wear rating of 100. The NT-05R has a tread wear rating of zero. It's typ 10k miles per 100 tread wear rating. The NT-555R has an identical tread to the 555. The NT-05R has zip for tread to begin with.... if it started raining... I would pull over asap.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I run the M/T 305/45/18's for my summer tires. They are actually a great tire for a DD tire. They handle very well and have good traction I can hook fairly well a a decent road. I have been caught in several thunderstorms with them and they worked very well, for a DR, never had any traction issues in some really heavy rains. I just kept the speed down and they were fine. I have about 3000 miles on them now and they still look almost new. I don't see why I can't get 8 or 9 thousand miles from them. That's about all you can ask from a good DR. When these finally wear out I will replace them with another set, I think they are the best DR tire for a DD setup.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I have gotten about two summers worth of driving on my MTs...and that includes 4 drag events each summer. So they last a long long time.

If you just drive them for DD and never race on them, I think you can get 3 summers out of them easy.

Obviously it depends on how many miles you do each summer; I'm referring to a 4 month summer with DD driving.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I get it with the MT offerings. Nitto makes the 305-40-18. It would be interesting to know how long these DR's last for DD spring /summer use. The NT-555R has a tread wear rating of 100. The NT-05R has a tread wear rating of zero. It's typ 10k miles per 100 tread wear rating. The NT-555R has an identical tread to the 555. The NT-05R has zip for tread to begin with.... if it started raining... I would pull over asap.

The NT05R do just fine in the rain. I had 305/45/18. Of course I'm driving like a normal person in the rain.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
How did you like those versus say the MT ET Streets (new versions).

I think the MT et streets have a 300 tread wear rating. isn;t that what skwerl had on his 650 rwhp bullit when he totaled it ? Think he said the tires started off good, then hardened up after 2-3 months..and traction on the street dropped way off.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
How did you like those versus say the MT ET Streets (new versions).

I've never driven on MT drag radials. Everybody loves them though. I really liked the Nitto NT05R. Nice ride, quiet, and plenty of traction. M&H has been pretty good too.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
I've never driven on MT drag radials. Everybody loves them though. I really liked the Nitto NT05R. Nice ride, quiet, and plenty of traction. M&H has been pretty good too.

Hmm, wonder if I should try the NT05Rs for next season.

BTW Bruce, do you still race? I attend Race Wars (drag racing) and several track days during the summer. Would you be interested?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hmm, wonder if I should try the NT05Rs for next season.

BTW Bruce, do you still race? I attend Race Wars (drag racing) and several track days during the summer. Would you be interested?

I've never been a track rat. I do like to go to test n tunes though. I haven't been to the track in 2 years iirc. At one time I'd make about 50 passes a year but time has been short this year with mandatory ot and the track being 90 miles one way from me. I'll only go to Bremerton, one experience at pir was enough for me to know it only results in frustration.

Race Wars aren't timed are they? I'm not a fan of racing and not knowing how I did.

I'd like to do road racing but think that it would be too addictive and expensive. Maybe when I retire and have time to replace the brakes and tires every week, lol.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back