2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Terry!

I really like reading your writeups and appreciate the time involved in hammering it all out with all of the photos... It's a lot of work. Kind of like getting magazine articles for free without all the ads!

Couple thoughts - I don't believe that IW balancer was worn, I bet if you compared it to a new one they would be the same. It's a difference in profile on the ribs. I see this between different blower pullies for my setup. Did you sell it already? Maybe get another member to send you some photos of his or hers to make sure it's OK, and you could recoup some of your $ for mods for the Golf R.

I also wonder about the lack of an over running clutch on the alternator, the guts of that thing have significant inertia. The larger pulley and the 8 rib belt are helping, I'm sure, but some days I think about figuring out how to get that clutch into a center hub that would allow for different diameter/configuration drives. This is more thinking out loud.

Have a good day and keep up the good work!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry ! American Muscle still has what's left of them in stock.. Perhaps M/T is going to replace the SC/5 wheels with an updated version fairly soon :shrug:

Anyway here's the link for AM, if interested..

-Rocky

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mt-sc5-wheels-0509.html

Edit: Disregard... AM no longer carries them in stock !

I did look on the MT INTERNET Site to see if they showed newer wheels after I saw they had discontinued the SC-5 wheels.

I saw no new replacement street wheels.

I just now looked again and don't see any new wheels for the street.

Strange to me is they Do-Not show any Street Wheels now at all on their site.

When you click on Wheels this is what you get now.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/wheels/

Off Road ONLY !!!

MT-web-offroad-HEADERS.jpg

Terry!

I really like reading your writeups and appreciate the time involved in hammering it all out with all of the photos... It's a lot of work. Kind of like getting magazine articles for free without all the ads!

Couple thoughts - I don't believe that IW balancer was worn, I bet if you compared it to a new one they would be the same. It's a difference in profile on the ribs. I see this between different blower pullies for my setup. Did you sell it already? Maybe get another member to send you some photos of his or hers to make sure it's OK, and you could recoup some of your $ for mods for the Golf R.

I also wonder about the lack of an over running clutch on the alternator, the guts of that thing have significant inertia. The larger pulley and the 8 rib belt are helping, I'm sure, but some days I think about figuring out how to get that clutch into a center hub that would allow for different diameter/configuration drives. This is more thinking out loud.

Have a good day and keep up the good work!

You very well may be right on the IW Damper and it being a different design than the ATI unit.

I suppose one reason why we all feel like something was worn on the IW was because of the squeaking issue.

Once the ATI was installed the squeaking was instantly gone with the exact same serpentine belt.

There was a new serpentine belt later installed per my request so I knew everything was new on the front of the engine in regards to, idler pulleys, serpentine belt tensioner, and the new ATI 20% Damper.

I did not even pick-up the IW damper from DBR simply because I would have not felt comfortable selling it to another person.
So I left it with them and I feel sure it got thrown away because they use ATI dampers exclusively.

I read you on the alternator clutch thing.
That is honestly over my head.
I do know when Brenspeed did the new high output alternator they also had to change the front pulley to slow it down considerably.
As you know because of the changes to the stock damper and Roush pulley.

Your right on the time and effort it actually takes to do a post like the one above I did.
It takes hours upon hours to do that sort of thing.
One thing that makes it really time consuming is photobucket.
Years ago when you loaded pictures to photobucket they stayed in the order you loaded them.
A long time ago photobucket was changed and since then when you load pictures they come out in a mess.
So you have to look at every picture spread out through all the pictures to try to get them in the correct order for the post and what your talking about.
The more pictures you have for a given post the greater the mess.
And that post had a great many pictures as I had been adding them over time as DBR worked on the Serpentine Belt squeaking, squealing, slipping issues.

I find it interesting that you commented on the time and effort it takes for me or anyone else to provide the information some of us do for others.
In-fact your the only person on this INTERNET Site that has ever even bothered to comment on that.

Thanks,
Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bullitt went back to DBR Performance on March 15th 2017 ...

Guys,

I'm going to take a few minutes and just talk in general about High H/P (Horsepower) vehicles.

Most of you that know me know I try my best to tell things as they really are.

So, here is what I have to say on the above situation.
Be aware everyone (Before) you get to Wild & Crazy on your Super-High-Horsepower vehicles.
I'm speaking from experience so this is not someone typing and giving suggestions that honestly has no idea what the heck their talking about.
I have had my existing 08 Mustang since I ordered and picked it up back in 2008.
This is now March of 2017 which is roughly 9-yrs. later.
And in those 9-years it has always been worked on for Changes/Modifications & necessary Maintenance to keep it totally functional.
Let me give yo a rough idea of where I'm coming from on this matter.
The 1st 8-yrs. I made the decisions to have BRENSPEED in Pierceton, IN do changes/modifications to it.
That included changing it from a manual transmission Mustang to an automatic as well as also replacing the Ford Stock Engine.
Also had the Saleen Super Shaker Supercharger changed to the Roush Highly-Modified unit along with further changes to the B-302 stroker engine.

So, that's what took place up until 2015 when all the last changes/modifications at BRENSPEED took place and it was delivered back to me at home.
Let me get to the MEAT of this story for all of you interested and those that just might think I know what I'm talking about in general.
My Mustang when it had the B-302 and the Saleen Super Shaker plus the TCI SSF (Super Street Fighter) tranny was around 560 RWHP.

Point is the Mustang was very-very-very reliable for daily use and traveling anywhere anytime covering thousands upon thousands of road miles.
It was also raced a lot back then over the years and in fact it went 10.32 ET at 135.56 MPH way back in 2011.

I drove it to what's called the Texas Shootout in Lufkin, TX. and ran it 18-Passes myself on Continental DW street tires
with 93-Octane Pump Gas also back in 2011.

Here is why I'm showing you and talking about the above when it was 560 RWHP versus what it is today at 817.45 RWHP Plus.

Now, finally let me get to what this is really about below.
I can tell you that mine has not been what I would refer to as Reliable since it was Modified back in 2015 and delivered to me at home.
Seriously guys it has been an ongoing, with never-ending problems and this is now March 17th 2017 and as I said I got it back in August of 2015 here at home.

Let me cover some of the things that have taken place with it since 2015 to give you just a rough idea.
(And before I do that this is not me "Belittling" in any Shop-Out just telling you so you know what can happen)

Exhaust came loose from the H-Pipe and fell from under it on the way back from Lufkin, TX. at the 2014 TX. Shootout I attended.
(A Close Friend actually had a Blanket and Crawled under the Mustang and placed the exhaust so it was not dragging the interstate)
We then found a Walmart Service Center and they put the exhaust back in place and re-tightened it.

While at that same TX Shootout I was going to make a pass with another S/C Bullitt Mustang and when I did the engine completely Cut-Off 1st pass.
Thankfully I got hold of Brent (Owner of Brenspeed) on a Sunday and he told us where the fuse was for the 40-Amp Boost-A-Pump.
Took the 30-Amp fuse for the rear-window-defroster out and plugged it into the fuse holder for the boost-a-pump and all was A-OK.
I decided not to make another pass as the general consensus was it would do it again so left well enough alone.

Leaking/Seeping Roush modified S/C was completely replaced along with a badly worn Steeda serpentine belt tensioner.

Front Crank Seal dripping oil.

Rear Differential Cover seeping/dripping fluid.

Worn bearings in all the idler pulleys and were totally replaced with double bearing pulleys.

Steeda serpentine belt tensioner was replaced with a Billet Racing unit with double the tension on it's internal spring.

To correct that 30-Amp fuse from blowing again a new 40-Amp relay was installed.

Here is one of the more expensive things that took place while I was visiting a buddy here in Franklin, TN.
I started the engine to pull out of his shop driveway and all of a sudden there was a Clicking-Noise coming from under one of the valve covers.
I had my buddy listen to it with his stethoscope and sure enough it was under the valve cover and sounded like to him a broken or loose cam follower.
Mustang was picked-up and it turned out it was a broken or came loose cam stock follower.
Suggestion was to go with the Jesel Billet Roller cam followers.
That was done and took care of that issue.
It also marred one of the Comp Cams so a new set of Comp Cams were also installed.

I also had it converted from a 6-rib serpentine belt set-up that is stock to an 8-rib set-up.
(They came to my house and did the work)
That was a necessity as the 1st time I drove it after getting it back with the 6-rib and hit the gas it threw the belt instantly.
So the 8-rib complete set-up was installed.
After that for some UN-known reason every once in awhile it would make a noticeable Squeaking/Squealing sound from the serpentine belt area.
My buddy suggested going with the HD (Heavy-Duty) Green Belt so he ordered it and installed it for me.
That worked for a little while and then the noise was right back every once in awhile as it was with the other black-belt.
So actually I went through multiple belts and as always the noise would come back and as time went on it became much more frequent.
Also tried different belt dressings and that like changing the green belts lasted only briefly.
Finally I got completely fed-up with it and went to DBR Performance and talked it over with Jon the Shop-Foreman that had done other work on mine for a year or so.
Well turns out he found out and showed me all the idler pulleys were worn and rough feeling as well as the grease had come out of them.
They were the single-bearing-idler-pulleys.
So he said Terry if it was mine I would replace these with the racing-double-bearing-idler pulleys.
He also ordered a kit and rebuilt the existing two double bearing pulleys at the same time.
Tried it out for a week or so driving it around as the weather permitted.
Guess what ???
The noise showed up again when he would get on a slight hill under a load.
If he let off and then got back on the gas it would not do it again.
So, they ended up putting it on their Dyno so hopefully one could get in it and ride the brakes to put a load on it while the other checked under the hood.
Sure enough they got it to do it over and over and it turned out to be the Innovators West 18% overdrive Crank Damper.
They said the only use ATI and never had a Failure so I said have at it guys.
Jon installs the ATI 20% over-drive crank damper and sure enough no noise, period, finally !!!

Now this week I'm going over to hang-out with Bobby Price that also owns a S/C Bullitt Mustang with a Paxton.
On the way to his house I get maybe 10-12 miles down the I-65 North interstate and all of a sudden there is some sort of Racket and Rough feeling coming from the rear-end.
I pull off at the next exit and sure enough as I make sharp turns it is very noticeable so turn around and head to DBR Performance.
Get there and Jon putts it on a lift and can't really at 1st see what the heck is causing the popping/racket.
He noticed it immediately just backing it up in the parking lot and pulling it in the shop.
Turns out it was not the differential at all it was coming from the C/F (Carbon Fiber) DRIVESHAFT Shop driveshaft.
He ended up taking it completely apart and servicing it and putting it back together.
He called them 1st and told them what he found and they said to simply take Emory-Cloth and clean lightly the scratched surfaces and polish the ball bearings.
Then repack it with grease.
They said a new one over time would do the exact same thing so no need to replace it with a new one.
Since Jon had the Rear-Differential-Inspection-Cover off he checked it out completely.
He found that the Carbon Clutches were not holding as they did when new.
He ordered a rebuild kit and installed it and also added a 30 thousands shim for some extra tension to the carbon clutches.
Test drove it and all once again is A-OK.
I have not picked it up as the weather here is very heavy overcast with rain in the forecast so next week I'll go retrieve it.

Now the above was what I can instantly think of that has gone on with mine since I got it back in August of 2015.
And this is why I have decided to tell this lengthy story above for you.
I highly suggest you make doggone sure you have lots & lots of "Reserve" monies guys before you get into one of these higher H/P vehicles.
You might think that your initial investment that you were all set for was going to cover 99% of things.
I can tell you that more than likely is not even going to come close to what your Real-Out-of-Pocket-Expense is going to End-Up.
And to also touch on something else here while I'm typing and giving advise.
If your Mustang is basically going to be driven on the street and rarely raced then do yourself a Major-Favor and keep the H/P down to like 500 RWHP.
I can tell you that mine was a Bad @SS machine when it was in the 500 H/P range on the street and the Drag-Strip and totally Reliable.
Much-much easier to drive Fast on the Street than it has become.
And as far as tires under it I can tell you they won't do diddly squat for traction no matter which ones you run.
(Yes you can run Drag-Radials on the street true enough but you better hope your Bank Account is LARGE.
Because the hotter the weather and the faster you drive and the longer the distances the quicker those Drag-Radials are going to Wear-Out.
I'm not going to get off on some tangent here on running drag-radials on the street other than to say you better hope they are new if it sprinkles rain.
Because if you check you'll see they don't come with much Tread-Depth even New so any real driving on the street will wear them quickly and they will be a Disaster waiting to happen in the rain.

My last advise is to take the information I have provided and use it to your advantage in your decisions.
Don't get all caught up in the HYPE and friends patting you on the back suggesting what you should do !!!
Use your own head and decide if you want a Reliable Fast Mustang or one that very easily could be more of a Status Symbol for Bragging rights.

As I said above this post is not to Complain, Belittle any Shop, Tech etc. it is to supply Real-World information to others on their building of Mustangs.

Good-Luck guys .............

Below are the pictures Jon provided me of what he just did to mine regarding the CF Driveshaft & Rear Differential Carbon Clutches.

I hope those that have followed this Bullitt Mustang find the above as informative and helpful as that is my intention.

What I have not done is Complain, Belittle, Criticize, any Performance Shop above this is as I said for information to those of you that hopefully take it for it's intent and purpose.

Terry

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing and I feel your pain.

Spent 3 years chasing high oil pressure, had engine rebuilt, brake vct gear, damage cam, get fixed add Paxton runs and drives great, burning oil ughhh

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
Any mod done to a car is like a snowball, one mod leads to the next and the next...

Love reading your write up's Terry, keep it up!

12faf48ac03d319fb78e7e09412835c9.jpg

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hear you Terry. I pretty much stopped chasing high HP numbers when I first came to NJ after doing it for years. My car seems to run very happy at around 540 RWHP and I'm not even sure its that high anymore after the last Mani retune. What it does now do, is run reliably and its a lot more fun to drive. The best mods I tell people that aren't dedicated drag racing their car is suspension mods. Going it a straight line is great but if your driving it on the road your not just going in a straight line. Over the years I've been most happy with suspension modifications that make the car handle better.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
This is one thing I'm trying to keep in mind when reading about all the awesome builds here. I feel like I'm going to succumb to wanting more horse power. I have to stop myself and ask "Why?". My car will blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd. I fucking love it. It's fun to drive and I don't feel like I'm going die when I get on it. Still, the sound of a PD supercharger can't be beat. LOL!!!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just need to keep things in perspective. My mustang isn't my primary means of transportation so if I break it I'm not screwed. Doesn't mean I don't daily drive it every opoertunity I get. You just have to be realistic about what you want and how much it costs. I do most of the work on my car myself and it still isn't cheap. I've also toned it down quite a bit, and it's still a blast to drive and much more reliable.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing and I feel your pain.

Spent 3 years chasing high oil pressure, had engine rebuilt, brake vct gear, damage cam, get fixed add Paxton runs and drives great, burning oil ughhh

Any mod done to a car is like a snowball, one mod leads to the next and the next...

Love reading your write up's Terry, keep it up!

12faf48ac03d319fb78e7e09412835c9.jpg

I hear you Terry. I pretty much stopped chasing high HP numbers when I first came to NJ after doing it for years. My car seems to run very happy at around 540 RWHP and I'm not even sure its that high anymore after the last Mani retune. What it does now do, is run reliably and its a lot more fun to drive. The best mods I tell people that aren't dedicated drag racing their car is suspension mods. Going it a straight line is great but if your driving it on the road your not just going in a straight line. Over the years I've been most happy with suspension modifications that make the car handle better.

This is one thing I'm trying to keep in mind when reading about all the awesome builds here. I feel like I'm going to succumb to wanting more horse power. I have to stop myself and ask "Why?". My car will blow the tires off in 1st and 2nd. I fucking love it. It's fun to drive and I don't feel like I'm going die when I get on it. Still, the sound of a PD supercharger can't be beat. LOL!!!

Just need to keep things in perspective. My mustang isn't my primary means of transportation so if I break it I'm not screwed. Doesn't mean I don't daily drive it every opoertunity I get. You just have to be realistic about what you want and how much it costs. I do most of the work on my car myself and it still isn't cheap. I've also toned it down quite a bit, and it's still a blast to drive and much more reliable.

Guys,

For some reason I'm not any longer receiving the instant E-Mail notices to threads I'm on.
icon9.gif
icon8.gif
icon9.gif

I just now came over to post a new video on the Dodge (Demon) coming out.

When I did I looked at new posts and saw where you had been posting on this thread.

All I can say here guys is take what I said in that lengthy post above and use it to your advantage.

As I said in it multiple times my intent was not to bitch out any shop, tech or techs just simply decided to post some of the things I have gone through with mine after it was delivered back in late 2015.

Most of it was simply small things but certainly Damn Annoying for sure.

Especially if one was traveling out of State and in my case I was more than once.

I think mine just might finally be where I can get in it and simply drive it.

But, it took multiple shops and from like August 2015 to March 2017 for things to just maybe get totally ironed out.

And after thinking about it a lot I decided just maybe I should let others know what can take place with these higher Horsepower Mustangs.

Think guys before you let any Shop or a buddy or buddies talk you into doing crap that in the end might cost you thousands of your ... Dollars.

Good-Luck guys with your builds,
Terry

Last edited:

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
the Bullitt Mustang is back home once again guys ...

Hello,

Well today's weather called for mid 70's and Sunny.

So decided to go get the 08 Bullitt Mustang from DBR Performance.
It was outside in the sunshine waiting for me.
And Jon (Shop Foreman) like it or not got his picture taken. LOL !!!

Talked to Jon and he went over what he had done refurbishing the Carbon-Fiber driveshaft.
So it's back better than before because this time he made sure it was very well packed with grease for the bearings.
We discussed me dropping it back by next Spring and he could drop it down and give it a once over.
Then if it needed anything he would do his thing.

I decided to take some pictures of one of the DBR Employees that is one of the Main People at DBR Performance and the person that all customers 1st meet.
This young lady's name is Olivia and she is the Office Manager and like I said everyone that comes to DBR Performance gets to meet her 1st.
A super nice person with a (Million-Dollar-Smile) for all that enter the DBR Performance front door.

I figured it was only right to take some pictures of Jon and Olivia.

I drove around some as it was super nice outside and had the windows down.
Ran some local errands and then on the way back home stopped by the Brand-New Shell station that is off my exit.

Just pulled in the driveway turnaround.

It's now sharing space with Cathy's new 2017 Golf R.

Well guys I can say for all certainty the drive back was a fun one.
No noise from the ass-end at all.
I did punch it a few times and both rear tires are definitely pulling together !!!
So Jon did good on replacing the rear differential Carbon Clutches and as I said he added a 30 thousands shim for a little added pressure to the clutches.
It's all working perfect !!!

So unless some unforeseen thing happens I'm finally all set for driving it now for this year.
And guys that will be a good thing IMHO.

Terry

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all these pictures and not one of a smokey burnout..............

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
all these pictures and not one of a smokey burnout..............

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

Well Dave,

This is not going to help the situation you spoke of but .........

I actually did multiple ones just messing around to see how it would behave with the new carbon clutches etc.

Unfortunately there was no one around to do a video.
icon9.gif

icon4.gif
Dave,

Maybe you can help me with something here on S197.
For some reason I am not getting/receiving any (instant-E-Mail notices).
I'm not getting any and that has just happened in the last days.
I'm on a lot of threads following them and use to get lots and lots of notices to new posts.

Is there a specific E-Mail Address to S197 that I need to add to my Mailing-List ???

I have checked my CP options list and it says the "instant notification" is turned on still.

I even went in the other day and turned it off and back on and did a New Save but it has not helped.

Terry

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
U checked your spam folder?

This has happened once or twice. I'll have to message Shaggy.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back