2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

golkhl

forum member
Reaction score
Now that DBR got the Tiger Machine running like a top, it probably feels like a new car. Drive the wheels off of it, and enjoy one of the baddest Bullitts on the planet!

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
The car you know every inch of and love vs a new project - that is a difficult choice!!

With regards to the 2 potentials... the TTRS is (to quote youth parlance of today) a weapon! It is way quicker than something that size and price has any right to be. BUT I just can't help feeling that as impressive as it is technically, it is just lacking a little in 'soul' or character. Probaby, being here in England, I also see a TT as being relatively common (I know that the RS is far from but it is still a TT of which there are a LOT).
The Challenger is, in comparison, quite crude, not as well put together, doesn't handle as well - it does stand out though! I would imagine that it is more fun to drive too (in terms of the limits being far more accessable - by the time you exceed the limit in the RS it's "...oh shit..." time or "...well you see officer...")

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Just follow your gut Terry on what to do. With all the joy and smiles you had bringing it home again, I'm not so sure you wouldn't regret it later if you sold it prematurely. I can comfortably say over the the last year after 8 years of ownership of my Mustang, that the last year of ownership I was just falling out of love with it. The way I look at it was that it brought me extreme joy and pride over those years I spent building it, modding it, polishing it, showing it and terrorizing the streets with it. It was a project of taking a stock car to insane and knowing my hands were involved that really made it exciting. It was something I always wanted to do. I think ultimately what led to the sale was that since I'm pushing 50 by next year, my body aches more than it used to and my mojo for the constant detailing and babying of the thing just got too tiresome. Then owning my SRT on top of that drove my OCD crazy. Plus my wife deserves to see more of me instead of dicking around in the garage all the time washing, cleaning and polishing 2 cars. So for me it just made sense to sell the Mustang and SRT and order the Demon. Turn key nasty and insane, with a full factory warranty. No black paint or billet to polish, and one less car in the garage to fool with. Just made sense for me.

Bottom line, were all different, but I think you'll know when your ready to let your Bullitt go with no regrets. I don't have any.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking, if you like the bullitt and are happy with it now, why not just keep it. I was really looking at boss 302's but in the end decided to keep what I already have. Then the stupid Shelby GT350's came out.... ug.... but I still have my mustang and really think I'll just keep it. Now if I could keep it and get a gt350 or/and a hellcat challenger....
Matt,

You know I actually can relate to what you have said above.

Like you I recently have seriously have considered moving on since I have had the Bullitt since back in 2008 when I ordered it.
And most recently it seemed to me it was spending way more time at one of the Performance Shops than here at home.
That pushed me in to thinking maybe it's time to giving some serious thought into possibly having it sold.
And go pick out something that you would be happy with and it being New and under Full (Factory Warranty) !!!
Then my Ole Butt goes and picks it up yesterday morning from DBR and as soon as I laid these Old-Eyes on it.
I was hooked again ..........
And at that point I had not even heard it start-up.
Jon got in with the hood open and fired it up and being serious it is so Bad-Ass hearing it.
Then we chatted, paid him (DBR), he (Jon) backed it out of the shop for me, and off I went.
I didn't mat it but I did get into it on the street in front of DBR some and it instantly broke those DWS06 315/35/20 Continental tires loose.
It shifted to 2nd and I got into it some and again it broke the tires loos right then.
It may as well have 235 series tires under it. LOL !!!

I really doubt I can replace this Bullitt Mustang with anything that will come even close to what it is overall.

Now that DBR got the Tiger Machine running like a top, it probably feels like a new car. Drive the wheels off of it, and enjoy one of the baddest Bullitts on the planet!
Andy,

Well it might not be the Baddest but I promise you buddy it's Bad enough. LOL !!!

A person will never-ever be bored driving it IMHO.

The car you know every inch of and love vs a new project - that is a difficult choice!!

With regards to the 2 potentials... the TTRS is (to quote youth parlance of today) a weapon! It is way quicker than something that size and price has any right to be. BUT I just can't help feeling that as impressive as it is technically, it is just lacking a little in 'soul' or character. Probaby, being here in England, I also see a TT as being relatively common (I know that the RS is far from but it is still a TT of which there are a LOT).
The Challenger is, in comparison, quite crude, not as well put together, doesn't handle as well - it does stand out though! I would imagine that it is more fun to drive too (in terms of the limits being far more accessable - by the time you exceed the limit in the RS it's "...oh shit..." time or "...well you see officer...")

Well my English long distance internet buddy,

Here where I am I have never seen even one (1) Audi TT RS ever.
I think you are right it seems across the water the Audi TT cars are much more prevalent.
I really like the new TT RS Model a lot and it does have all the most modern technology.
And it is IMO a true sports car ......

The Challenger cars here are plentiful.
But, the new to come out "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat there will not be very many of those around.
One reason is they will be with options around $70-75K Plus in the USA.
So a person is going to have to want one of them as they are going to be on the expensive side.

As we both know the two (2) cars above are totally two (2) completely different types of cars.

Just follow your gut Terry on what to do. With all the joy and smiles you had bringing it home again, I'm not so sure you wouldn't regret it later if you sold it prematurely. I can comfortably say over the the last year after 8 years of ownership of my Mustang, that the last year of ownership I was just falling out of love with it. The way I look at it was that it brought me extreme joy and pride over those years I spent building it, modding it, polishing it, showing it and terrorizing the streets with it. It was a project of taking a stock car to insane and knowing my hands were involved that really made it exciting. It was something I always wanted to do. I think ultimately what led to the sale was that since I'm pushing 50 by next year, my body aches more than it used to and my mojo for the constant detailing and babying of the thing just got too tiresome. Then owning my SRT on top of that drove my OCD crazy. Plus my wife deserves to see more of me instead of dicking around in the garage all the time washing, cleaning and polishing 2 cars. So for me it just made sense to sell the Mustang and SRT and order the Demon. Turn key nasty and insane, with a full factory warranty. No black paint or billet to polish, and one less car in the garage to fool with. Just made sense for me.

Bottom line, were all different, but I think you'll know when your ready to let your Bullitt go with no regrets. I don't have any.

Tim,

In your case everything you have been willing to share in the open makes perfect sense to me for making the change.
And lets be honest about it ..........
Who in their right mind, if they were a real Car-Geek would not want the Dodge Demon !!!
It's like the ULTIMATE guy thing in cars ......
I am so looking forward to it arriving and you texting me to drive over and see it in person.
That's one small drive I'm definitely looking forward to.

I don't know yet how I'm going to handle things on this end.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Well I thought about it and thought take your butt out to the garage and do a Cold Start-Up.

So, I did exactly that, I went out, set up the video, turned the key to on, touched the Start Btn, and Fired it Up.

I'm very happy to report there is Zero Noise of any kind from the serpentine belt. :clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfiwJQp8AKU

T.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Terry, how wide are those rear rims ? A 315/35-20 is a big tire. Did you get the rims widened ?

On another note, how many miles do you typ put on the bullitt in a year ? If it's not a lot, you might want to just keep it. Can you get anything near what you have into it...probably not. If you buy the mopar, will it stay stock, or will it be an endless project?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
It's the same with everything in life. You're mad? Wait 12 seconds and don't fight with people on the internet. New car comes out? Wait a few months... soon it's the same wore out boring belly button POS everyone else has. Happened with the Hell cringus - heck, it already got obsoleted by the stupid Demon! Happened with the g33 t33 three fifty. Once something is pretty good, it's good enough forever... I'm really glad the S197 came out as it's a fairly acceptable package. The 550 is much better, but you can get along with the S197. I don't know if I'd have kept a new edge if I had bought one of those. Maybe!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, how wide are those rear rims ? A 315/35-20 is a big tire. Did you get the rims widened ?

On another note, how many miles do you typ put on the bullitt in a year ? If it's not a lot, you might want to just keep it. Can you get anything near what you have into it...probably not. If you buy the mopar, will it stay stock, or will it be an endless project?

Jim,

The rear tires are the newest DWS06 Continental tires on the rear in the 315-35-20's.
I have not had the rear wheels widened.
I run the Street Comp SC-5 Mickey Thompson Wheels that are 10.5" wide in the rear.
The fronts are 9" wide.

Well at one times years ago I was driving it a lot and to other States to attend Bullitt Mustang events.
Plus I was driving it everyday to work.
Been retired now for many years so drive it when it suits me.
But as the years have gone by it is not really driven all that much.

Can you get anything near what you have into it...probably not.
If you buy the mopar, will it stay stock, or will it be an endless project?

I don't know if I can get what I would term a decent dollar amount out of it.
That at this point is definitely up in the air.

If I did go with a new "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat it would stay stock.

I'm also looking at the Audi TT RS Coupe.
It also would remain Stock !!!

It's the same with everything in life. You're mad? Wait 12 seconds and don't fight with people on the internet. New car comes out? Wait a few months... soon it's the same wore out boring belly button POS everyone else has. Happened with the Hell cringus - heck, it already got obsoleted by the stupid Demon! Happened with the g33 t33 three fifty. Once something is pretty good, it's good enough forever... I'm really glad the S197 came out as it's a fairly acceptable package. The 550 is much better, but you can get along with the S197. I don't know if I'd have kept a new edge if I had bought one of those. Maybe!

In my case I have had the Bullitt since ordering it in 2008 and taking delivery.
So, it all now comes down to me being able to actually get what I think it's worth to the right purchaser in the world.
If that would take place then it will be much easier to see it go to the new owner.
My personal preference would be that someone in another country buy it.

We shall see guy ..........

Terry

Last edited:

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Good to hear Terry.

I can't help but to think your two possible picks are at the opposite end of the spectrum. Lol

The TTRS is a precision blade and the HC is as precise as a sledge hammer. I know you like anything Muscle/retro... but where is the smaller Audi coming from?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to hear Terry.

I can't help but to think your two possible picks are at the opposite end of the spectrum. Lol

The TTRS is a precision blade and the HC is as precise as a sledge hammer. I know you like anything Muscle/retro... but where is the smaller Audi coming from?
Cam,

Well the TT RS Audi is what think is a true sports car.
It's the type of machine that once you get in it you feel like you and it are one.
And it's performance is Amazing for sure.
Like the 0-60 time is 3.5 seconds.
And runs the 1/4 in the 11's so it is not just a looks only sort of ride.
To me it represents what I call a guy's personal machine.
This is the 1st year for the current Model so I'm NOT going to purchase it.
I will wait until the 2nd year comes and actually order exactly what I want.
I like and prefer a car to be totally Loaded-Up with every factory option available.
Also in the past I have owned a lot of the different model Audi cars.
They include several of the Audi S-4 models.
Those came with the Quattro and handled rain perfectly.
Not a lot of snow here but tons of rain.
The other thing that I'm now taking a much more serious look at is the overall size of the car.
The TT RS is 11-inches shorter than the New RS-3 Sedan just introduced with the 2017 TT RS.
So when I looked at both those cars at the Audi Dealership it was really apparent just how small the TT RS was when seen in person and also sitting in it.
The reason the size comes into play versus the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat is me maintaining either model.
You know I think I'll just come right out and say exactly what is running through my mind.
When a guy is younger and I'm referring to the car guys, we luv cleaning our cars up.
And in my case being so particular I have always kept both our cars looking showroom new.
Well that's when we are younger and even when we are say in our 50's and in my case 60's.
But, I'm going to be 73 this coming June and even though I now have excellent health and certainly not overweight.
I just don't think I want another Big Car to have to Maintain.
That's why it is now doubtful I'll go for the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat.
And as it turns out the "Widebody" Hellcat is thousands of dollars less expensive than the TT RS when both have all the options.
So when it comes right down to it in this fellow's heart I still dearly luv the Muscle-Cars !!!
But, I think this time around I might use my brain more and make what I hope is a better long-term-decision.

Of course all this depends on the Bullitt Mustang going to a new home.
(And that process has not even got off the thinking stage yet)

Terry

Last edited:

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cam,

Well the TT RS Audi is what think is a true sports car.
It's the type of machine that once you get in it you feel like you and it are one.
And it's performance is Amazing for sure.
Like the 0-60 time is 3.5 seconds.
And runs the 1/4 in the 11's so it is not just a looks only sort of ride.
To me it represents what I call a guy's personal machine.
This is the 1st year for the current Model so I'm NOT going to purchase it.
I will wait until the 2nd year comes and actually order exactly what I want.
I like and prefer a car to be totally Loaded-Up with every factory option available.
Also in the past I have owned a lot of the different model Audi cars.
They include several of the Audi S-4 models.
Those came with the Quattro and handled rain perfectly.
Not a lot of snow here but tons of rain.
The other thing that I'm now taking a much more serious look at is the overall size of the car.
The TT RS is 11-inches shorter than the New RS-3 Sedan just introduced with the 2017 TT RS.
So when I looked at both those cars at the Audi Dealership it was really apparent just how small the TT RS was when seen in person and also sitting in it.
The reason the size comes into play versus the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat is me maintaining either model.
You know I think I'll just come right out and say exactly what is running through my mind.
When a guy is younger and I'm referring to the car guys, we luv cleaning our cars up.
And in my case being so particular I have always kept both our cars looking showroom new.
Well that's when we are younger and even when we are say in our 50's and in my case 60's.
But, I'm going to be 73 this coming June and even though I now have excellent health and certainly not overweight.
I just don't think I want another Big Car to have to Maintain.
That's why it is now doubtful I'll go for the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat.
And as it turns out the "Widebody" Hellcat is thousands of dollars less expensive than the TT RS when both have all the options.
So when it comes right down to it in this fellow's heart I still dearly luv the Muscle-Cars !!!
But, I think this time around I might use my brain more and make what I hope is a better long-term-decision.

Of course all this depends on the Bullitt Mustang going to a new home.
(And that process has not even got off the thinking stage yet)

Terry
When or if you put it up for sale, are you going to give us the link to whatever agency doing the sale? I have no idea what you are going to ask for it but it would be interesting if you disclosed the advert.

I really hope you sell the Bullet (this coming from another Bullitt owner!), and get the price you want for it. I think the next car you get, you will really really enjoy it. These new cars are so much better. It amazing how much ALL of the new cars have progresses.

On keeping a big car clean, I understand that! Take the savings on the widebody and have a professional detailer take care of the car. Those coatings I hear are amazing and will reduce your cleaning. Or just have the detail guy swing by. It is awesome how good some of them are, especially the interior. You are in your 70s man, let a pro take care of the car for you!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When or if you put it up for sale, are you going to give us the link to whatever agency doing the sale? I have no idea what you are going to ask for it but it would be interesting if you disclosed the advert.

I really hope you sell the Bullet (this coming from another Bullitt owner!), and get the price you want for it. I think the next car you get, you will really really enjoy it. These new cars are so much better. It amazing how much ALL of the new cars have progresses.

On keeping a big car clean, I understand that! Take the savings on the widebody and have a professional detailer take care of the car. Those coatings I hear are amazing and will reduce your cleaning. Or just have the detail guy swing by. It is awesome how good some of them are, especially the interior. You are in your 70s man, let a pro take care of the car for you!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Yes I will put a link to once they list it on their Web-Site.

If this is going to go forward that's the place I'm going to go with.
IMO the only way mine will even get sold for what it's actually worth is having the biggest company represent it (World-Wide).
GATEWAY CLASSIC CARS http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/ is the biggest and offer the Buyer some great options to do business with them.
Like, Low, Long-Term interest rates, trade-in's, World-Wide-Shipping etc.

I think you have seen Tim post here.
Link below,
http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132663

Timmbo

He use to own his own Detail business which he sold some years ago.
He still has a select small clientele that he does detail work for at his home.
I ask him if he would be interested in doing a full blown detail on mine ???
He said he would indeed do it and it would be a Show-Room detail.
So he now has my Bullitt.

Once I hear back from Tim that it is completed I'll get in touch with GATEWAY CLASSIC CARS to discuss them selling it.

I have not totally discounted the "Widebody" Challenger Hellcat.
It's simply going to be a wait and see sort of thing when the time comes.
I am an OLD Muscle-Car guy so I might get weak and go for the "Widebody". LOL !!!

And no more than I actually drive these days keeping either car up I don't think will be an issue or the deciding factor.

I'll be back once things get off the ground floor,
Terry

Last edited:

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, I wish you luck whichever way you go. I think you are correct about finding an overseas buyer, to be able to recoup some of the money you have invested in the car My youngest son just got a Challenger SRT 392 and although it's certainly not a Hellcat, it's really a nice fast car. IMHO, I think, in the long run, you would be much happier with the Wide Body Hellcat. You are just too old school Muscle Car, too not regret getting the Audi.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, I wish you luck whichever way you go. I think you are correct about finding an overseas buyer, to be able to recoup some of the money you have invested in the car My youngest son just got a Challenger SRT 392 and although it's certainly not a Hellcat, it's really a nice fast car. IMHO, I think, in the long run, you would be much happier with the Wide Body Hellcat. You are just too old school Muscle Car, too not regret getting the Audi.
Earl,

I talked with Tim when I dropped off the Bullitt at his house to be detailed.
I asked him he would mind driving over with his soon to be "Demon" Challenger and simply pull it in my garage so I could see 1st hand the space it would take up.
My wife needs to be able to just pull in her Golf R without a lot of headache doing so.
So I'm not going to get a replacement car that is going to be a nightmare for both of us using the garage.
The Demon is the same body as the new option "Widebody" Hellcat so if Tim does drive his over I'll know then for sure.

I really like the Challengers that's for sure.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hot New Mopars For 2018! Widebody Hellcat, Trackhawk & More !!!

Guys,

I just received this on-line Hot Rod article so thought I would share it.

Written by David Hakim on September 1, 2017

Click on link below,
Hot New Mopars For 2018! Widebody Hellcat, Trackhawk & More! - Hot Rod Network

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Terry, not sure if you are 100% set on Gateway Classic Cars, but I forgot to mention to you this guy - I am going to use him to assist me with selling my Corvette. After the last two months I'm at my whits end dealing with seasoned corvette owners who are scaling pretty high on the asshole meter. Just throwing it out there. He mainly brokers to collectors.

http://www.ronsusser.com

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, not sure if you are 100% set on Gateway Classic Cars, but I forgot to mention to you this guy - I am going to use him to assist me with selling my Corvette. After the last two months I'm at my whits end dealing with seasoned corvette owners who are scaling pretty high on the asshole meter. Just throwing it out there. He mainly brokers to collectors.

http://www.ronsusser.com

Cam,

Also just to mention this even though I'm pretty darn sure you already know.
Don't pay any attention to what some Moron post on Facebook about wanting and or buying/purchasing as that's a joke.

High-End cars as you, I and others know have to be marketed by the right Company or more than likely be prepared to practically give it away !!!

Thanks for the Heads-Up. :thumb:

T.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had an easy dealing when selling my cars, but I just shrug it off.

But nothing tops dealing with the diesel truck buyer... especially if you have something unique.

When I was trying to sell one of my trucks - my '96 F250 7.3L ... I had done a TON of work to the truck and despite it having 400K miles on it, the truck didn't look the part and drove perfect. One customer wrote us a terrible review about how awful we were for not taking his offer of 50% of my asking price.

Also when I sold my '01 Excursion 7.3L ... that was a lot of fun. Some guy told me that I should just drive it off a cliff with me in it at my price. LOL. Sold it the next day to a guy who drove from FL to pick it up.

Back