2011 Mustang GT track log

2013MustangGT

Budget Boss
Reaction score
@neema

I see a lot of guys and gals who have the same seat as you and they flip the head rest around to allow more room for wearing a helmet. Just throwing that out there.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
The tail wag was sorted out. I wish I changed parts out at a slower rate because it could be attributed to two things: LCA relocating brackets and/or 305 rear tires. In general, the car was much more composed and easier to drive fast without letting it all hang out. I'm hoping the stock rear sway bar will give me the "room" to get on the power/rotate the car with the throttle a little earlier.

Also, I would lower the rear more, but it physically can't go lower with these springs. One height adjusters is bottomed out in the back and the other side had to be a little higher in height to get close to the 50/50 cross weight when corner balancing.

Here's a video showing the old 27mm sway bar on the car. If the car stepped out or behaved erratically, I'd point my finger at driver error more than anything else. Otherwise, it drove okay. Traffic clears around 4 minutes in.

I had the exact same issue with the KW CS' on the rear perches. About the only thing that will change that is to get a softer rear spring or bring the front up .

Your car lost it in the 11's. The car looks good to me (quick too), but then again I'm not driving it. I can tell you this: when I took off my rear sway bar the car was litterally perfect for spring rate balance. That is with a stock front sway bar. I don't *think* you would have lost the rear if you would have been on the line and unwinding the steering wheel. I say that because I watched your car come around the last corner before the finish and where you put the throttle down and it looked pretty good from this side of the computer. I'm not an instructor, pro racer...etc and I'm also not in the car so my observation is limited and possibly just flat out wrong.

You are definitely on point about changing multiple things and not knowing what did what. I know it's not ideal time-wise for us guys that do these types of events, but you could always bring a good jack, 4 jackstands and handful of wrenches and take the sway bar off and run it. Going by how it feels is very important, but also take a look at that stop watch too.

I don't think I'm a better driver than you and I'm not trying to come off better, but a word of advice on counter-steering- put your input in and leave the steering wheel alone. My first track day I had MASSIVE oversteer. My car was setup in all the ways to make the ass go out. That's what happens when you throw a bunch of "cool shit" on your car all at once. And to tie back in to your situation; modifying too many things at one time. My first track event, I lost the ass end about 5 times. 1 of them had the 2 rear wheels off the course. 1 of them had 1 rear wheel off the course. The others were just losing the rear on the track like you did in the 11's of that video. So my instructor got to see me make corrections plenty. On about #3 he told me that I was doing too much work. Countering the wheel a lot. I held it on the track and got back on line, but overall it wasn't smooth. That was when he told me to put one input in (ideally the right one) and leave it alone. After that, I did just that and I realized how much extra input was a waste.

Check your LCA angle. You definitely have one thing going that is pro-oversteer and that is the rake. You *possibly* could have another thing going on with your LCA angle. Check that. Download an anglefinder app on your iphone and use it. Make sure you use the flat side of your phone that doesn't have the volume buttons. Or goto the hardware store and get an angle finder. Trust me, it matters. It was one of the problems I had at the track.

BTW your spring rates are 570/340in/lbs if they are factory KW.

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Ok, I took you out of context. I also assumed that you thought like what a massive suspension community says. Don't worry Dave, I got you placed well above the general retardation of the internetz, but I think it was a "fair" error on my part to take you out of context considering it's as common as it is. It at least allows me to raise my point.

What I am about to post took me about 4 seconds. That's with a mediocre 40 GWAM typing, the internetz to decipher what I wanted, post the perfect link and click on it. Felt real good.
:samuri: http://www.autocross101.com/Sway_Bars_101.html which basically has "THE LAWS OF THE SWAYBAR(tm)" j/k, but really, it says that a stiffer front bar:

1. Decreases front chassis roll.
2. Decreases front grip or traction, while increasing rear grip or traction.
3. Faster steering response.
4. Decreases off-power steering at corner entry.

So even though I took you out of context, I would call it common. I just don't understand why all these "LAWS OF THE SWAYBAR(tm)" are not worded to my liking. Don't they know I will make a fuss? According to that, you add a stiffer swaybar then you are losing grip at the area you put the swaybar(front/rear). I believe that to be incorrect. And the reason why is because the swaybar may correct your alignment and that may give you more grip than you originally had. So I don't like the wording. I also don't have any proof. Yay!

I think you're looking at two different things here, simultaneously. Unfortunately from a perspective of codifying knowledge, they both involve anti-roll bars...

First, there is the gross chassis setup and geometry issue. The goal is to have as large of a contact patch on the front tire as possible under dynamic conditions whilst simultaneously limiting the collateral problems of reduced braking grip and excess tire wear from high static negative camber alignment angles. This requres "X" amount of wheel rate to accomplish. The less wheel rate, the greater the difference between static and dynamic camber settings. The three greatest (but not sole) contributors to wheel rate are the springs themselves, the tire, and the anti-roll bar. If you assume no ARB and a solid front suspension (no deflection, or a "coil-bound spring" model), then the only contributing factor to the wheel rate becomes the compression of the tire carcass itself. In general, low-profile tires have very high effective spring rates, which is why the rubber bands wound around 24" Dub wheels ride so poorly and cause kidney bleeding after rolling over a cigarette butt... Anyway... If you accept the tire-based rate as a constant (forced to a particular size/brand/sidewall stiffness by class rules, fitment availability or pocketbook), then you're left with bars and springs to hit your desired wheel rate. If you dump the bar, and use only springs, you'll be able to hit your rate target, but you'll pay the price in reduced traction if the track surface isn't 100% smooth, or if there are berms to run over. Done properly, you'll select the softest spring possible to keep the car off the bump-stops over the biggest bump (that you would normally encounter) on that particular track. This obviously necessitates adding the additional required rate through the ARB. Now, at this point, we have a suspension that is "optimized" for a specific track. Note that this already addresses the whole "McStrut bad camber curve" deal by defining the required wheel rate required to maximize the contact patch. If we had an SLA with a different camber-gain curve, then we would be looking at a different required wheel rate... Bottom line: We now have the softest possible spring (most possible grip) and softest possible bar (most possible grip) on the car up front, in conjunction with a given negative static camber angle. Now, test. If the car is skipping all over the place from high-rate springs, you can add more negative static camber, take the hit under braking and to tire wear, and then drop your wheel rate. Again, balance the springs and the bars. Now, test again. Repeat as necessary, or until you give up and find a "happy medium" for the front.

NOW, we get to deal with the back end of the car. Since we're dealing with S197s, we're also dealing with a stick-axle, so the alignment angle issue is fixed (unless you're getting WAYYYY into this). Again, wheel rate will determine contact patch loading, thus spring and bar balance again.

Now, we come to the second part of the equation: Chassis balance. After having done all of the above, you may find that yes, you have maximum possible grip up front, and maximum possible grip in back, but the car is unmanageable to drive. Too little front grip, and the car plows into the corner, understeering off onto the "agricultural line." Too little rear grip, and the car wants to snap around backwards at the drop of a dime... Solution? Add more grip at the end with the problem, right? Unfortunately, we've already optimized each end for maximum possible grip, and as a result, we're forced into losing grip at the opposite end. This is where the tuning mantra of "Understeer: add rear bar, Oversteer: add front bar" comes from. You're treating the opposite end of the car from the problem, and resolving the balance issue by reducing net grip at the end that has too much. Assuming that you have maximized one end or the other! In the end, it'll be a compromise of total possible grip, vehicle balance, and other factors, like braking grip, tire wear, stability over surface irregularities, etc. that gives that magic "sweet spot." Oh, and factor in driver preference as well, which is absolutely valid. With my (now former) CMC car, my buddy and I split the driving duties, and we rapidly came to find that I prefer a "looser" car than he does. If we tightened up the car to make him 100% happy, my lap times suffered. If we loosened up the car to make me 100% happy, his lap times suffered. In the end we had to compromise. Yes, we were both a little bit slower than our theoretical max, but we were both having fun, which is what it was all about.

Making those compromises is all about finding and hitting that sweet spot. If you set the car up perfectly, you might find that you had to run so much static negative camber that your braking suffered enough to hurt your lap times. You might find that while the car was perfectly balanced at turn-in, you just couldn't get the power down on exit, and it hurt your lap times. You might find that the car was perfect once you hit apex and started to put the power down, but it was like trying to conn the Queen Mary through turn-in. You might find that the car is absolutely perfect, but too "skittish" for you to drive aggressively with confidence; and they all affected your lap times negatively. You need to balance all of these factors into the one setup that gives you the quickest bottom line lap time. ARBs are the simplest, easiest adjustment that can be made track-side to affect the front/rear balance of the car to tune it to the conditions or the track. Hint: if you find yourself heading out onto the track in the rain, remove your rear bar and you'll have a LOT easier time getting the power down. Now, think about exactly how and why that works...

Oh I believe in the sweet spot Norm. That's my point really. I think my case will probably make the most sense for folks running soft springs/big bars. Only problem is, I have no proof and can't really back it up. It's not something I'm calling a fact. It's something I'm challenging, but will not be able to follow through with a test. So I guess it really becomes a "food for thought" unless somebody else has something better than my hunch.
Since the soft-spring paradigm allows so much bad camber gain under bump, you will need a ton of ARB rate to keep the front suspension in "the zone" where reasonable static camber angles will get the contact patch happening without eating the outside edge of the tire. Where the soft/heavy model begins to come apart for me is under braking. With straight-line braking, the ARB contributes essentially nothing to the front rate, and with the load transfers involved in 0.8-1.0G braking events, the nose dumps (overshoots and oscillates reducing grip), the rear end lifts, and you wind up with less braking capability combined with rear-end instability. In an instantaneous snapshot of the two models (soft/heavy vs. hard/light) at the mid-corner phase, there's really no difference, since the wheel rates are essentially the same, thus the contact patches are the same. I personally find that the advantage to the higher-rate springs comes in strongly under braking, and if you can move your braking point 50-100' closer to turn-in, that's 50-100' more acceleration, and that's a faster lap time. The hard/light paradigm may have a little more problem getting the power down at exit, but that would be a small price to pay compared to the gain all the way around under braking. Of course, even that assertion could change depending on the layout of the track du jour... BIG difference between the value of braking at Road America (145mph-85mph, 140-48mph, and 135-70mph braking zones) and a typical "club track" where the speed deltas between the braking point and turn-in point aren't so high.

Last factor, which I didn't address, is with the ubiquitous daily-driver that sees occasional track time. A soft-spring/heavy-bar is a lot easier to live with on a daily basis than a hard-spring/soft-bar setup. Pothole impacts are pretty rare on most tracks... Also, I know nothing about autocross setup/needs/goals, so all of this is focused exclusively on "big tracks."

Is all that making sense?

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
8J5oUTf.jpg

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I think you're looking at two different things here, simultaneously. Unfortunately from a perspective of codifying knowledge, they both involve anti-roll bars...

You got a good sense of humor Dave! This post was about to be really long. That would have been a mistake on my part.

True or False-

A stiffer front roll bar will ALWAYS decrease front grip?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
:samuri: http://www.autocross101.com/Sway_Bars_101.html which basically has "THE LAWS OF THE SWAYBAR(tm)" j/k, but really, it says that a stiffer front bar:

1. Decreases front chassis roll.
2. Decreases front grip or traction, while increasing rear grip or traction.
3. Faster steering response.
4. Decreases off-power steering at corner entry.

So even though I took you out of context, I would call it common. I just don't understand why all these "LAWS OF THE SWAYBAR(tm)" are not worded to my liking.
If it makes you feel any better, I don't care much for the way that page is written either. Lots of good little nuggets mixed in with confusion, omissions, and some stuff that's just flat-out wrong.

I don't think it can be universally stated that adding (or stiffening) a front sta-bar will always reduce front grip. That implies that there is a greater loss of grip due to lateral load transfer than was gained from presumably giving the outside front tire better camber. "Presumably" being an important word here.

Even "most of the time" does not equal "always".

A note to Dave's thoughts on braking - as the nose dives under heavy braking, cambers will be driven even further negative than the static settings which will reduce front braking capability by some amount. This effect is entirely separate from tail rise and the pitch rotation of the sprung mass.

I'll suggest people copy Dave's lengthy post into their own word processors and divide it up into smaller thought bites for themselves.

Norm

Last edited:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I don't care much for the way that page is written either. Lots of good little nuggets mixed in with confusion, omissions, and some stuff that's just flat-out wrong.

I don't think it can be universally stated that adding (or stiffening) a front sta-bar will always reduce front grip. That implies that there is a greater loss of grip due to lateral load transfer than was gained from presumably giving the outside front tire better camber. "Presumably" being an important word here.

Even "most of the time" does not equal "always".

A note to Dave's thoughts on braking - as the nose dives under heavy braking, cambers will be driven even further negative than the static settings which will reduce front braking capability by some amount. This effect is entirely separate from tail rise and the pitch rotation of the sprung mass.

I'll suggest people copy Dave's lengthy post into their own word processors and divide it up into smaller thought bites for themselves.

Norm

:yes1: It makes me feel better. :) That line of thought is constantly stated even though I took Dave out of context. And I think it is accurate many times. Just not all the time. Consider that a large portion of us trackers are on a soft spring/stiff bar combination (preferable or not) I think it relevant.

Grassroots Motorsports performed a test a good while back. It involved what made the most difference. It was tires. But among the many tests they performed, they left out a certain configuration and it is the configuration I am referring to: stock springs, stock bars, stock geometry even, vastly superior tires. Add aftermarket swaybars and then check the lap times. While I am not set up on stock springs, the test would still be relevant. In fact, it *should* be more relevant than in my case.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
@neema

I see a lot of guys and gals who have the same seat as you and they flip the head rest around to allow more room for wearing a helmet. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and it felt too vulnerable. There's nothing supporting my bobble head from rolling around in any direction. While the stock headrest is a little too far forward, at least it's got my head supported from the back.

I had the exact same issue with the KW CS' on the rear perches. About the only thing that will change that is to get a softer rear spring or bring the front up .

Your car lost it in the 11's. The car looks good to me (quick too), but then again I'm not driving it. I can tell you this: when I took off my rear sway bar the car was litterally perfect for spring rate balance. That is with a stock front sway bar. I don't *think* you would have lost the rear if you would have been on the line and unwinding the steering wheel. I say that because I watched your car come around the last corner before the finish and where you put the throttle down and it looked pretty good from this side of the computer. I'm not an instructor, pro racer...etc and I'm also not in the car so my observation is limited and possibly just flat out wrong.

You are definitely on point about changing multiple things and not knowing what did what. I know it's not ideal time-wise for us guys that do these types of events, but you could always bring a good jack, 4 jackstands and handful of wrenches and take the sway bar off and run it. Going by how it feels is very important, but also take a look at that stop watch too.

I don't think I'm a better driver than you and I'm not trying to come off better, but a word of advice on counter-steering- put your input in and leave the steering wheel alone. My first track day I had MASSIVE oversteer. My car was setup in all the ways to make the ass go out. That's what happens when you throw a bunch of "cool shit" on your car all at once. And to tie back in to your situation; modifying too many things at one time. My first track event, I lost the ass end about 5 times. 1 of them had the 2 rear wheels off the course. 1 of them had 1 rear wheel off the course. The others were just losing the rear on the track like you did in the 11's of that video. So my instructor got to see me make corrections plenty. On about #3 he told me that I was doing too much work. Countering the wheel a lot. I held it on the track and got back on line, but overall it wasn't smooth. That was when he told me to put one input in (ideally the right one) and leave it alone. After that, I did just that and I realized how much extra input was a waste.

Check your LCA angle. You definitely have one thing going that is pro-oversteer and that is the rake. You *possibly* could have another thing going on with your LCA angle. Check that. Download an anglefinder app on your iphone and use it. Make sure you use the flat side of your phone that doesn't have the volume buttons. Or goto the hardware store and get an angle finder. Trust me, it matters. It was one of the problems I had at the track.

BTW your spring rates are 570/340in/lbs if they are factory KW.

First off, I appreciate any driving critique I get. I still consider myself green to this and all I'm left to do between track events is think about what I can do for the next one.

I believe LCA angle was around 1-2 degrees sloping down from body to axle. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

The "oversteer" event at ~11:35 minutes in is due to driver error. I wish I had telemetry data overlay, because we would all be able to see how much foot I had in the brake while turning. Once the back came out I put more throttle in it just to have fun, but that wasn't the car's fault. That same corner (T2) is a good area to test how well/soon a car puts down power while exiting--something I don't do very well (hence stock rear sway bar back in).

Also, one turn thereafter is when the o2 sensor fouled and cats dumped themselves out. I was in a state of confusion from that point on. Good way to cool down before pulling off track!

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I tried that and it felt too vulnerable. There's nothing supporting my bobble head from rolling around in any direction. While the stock headrest is a little too far forward, at least it's got my head supported from the back.

First off, I appreciate any driving critique I get. I still consider myself green to this and all I'm left to do between track events is think about what I can do for the next one.

I believe LCA angle was around 1-2 degrees sloping down from body to axle. That shouldn't be an issue, right?

The "oversteer" event at ~11:35 minutes in is due to driver error. I wish I had telemetry data overlay, because we would all be able to see how much foot I had in the brake while turning. Once the back came out I put more throttle in it just to have fun, but that wasn't the car's fault. That same corner (T2) is a good area to test how well/soon a car puts down power while exiting--something I don't do very well (hence stock rear sway bar back in).

Also, one turn thereafter is when the o2 sensor fouled and cats dumped themselves out. I was in a state of confusion from that point on. Good way to cool down before pulling off track!

I went back and watched and listened for the throttle. Looks like it started out with the brakes like you said and continued with the throttle (for your enjoyment!). So...flat out wrong...sweet. I did warn you of that possibility.

1-2 degrees with the body end higher than the chassis end is where I was at when I had the KW's when I got everything sorted and I thought it to be perfect. LCA inclination is certainly a tuneable item and you could certainly affect your cars handling if you were to go 1-2 degrees in the other direction. I have been as far as 6 or 7 degrees in the undertseer direction to about the same in the oversteer direction and everywhere in-between. 1-2 in either direction is money IMO. I aim for a tad more AS while not getting into roll oversteer. It's your tuning tool if the parts are adjustable though. Just like the swaybars, ride heigth, camber, tire psi...etc.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
You got a good sense of humor Dave! This post was about to be really long. That would have been a mistake on my part.

True or False-

A stiffer front roll bar will ALWAYS decrease front grip?

FALSE, of course. Remember that "Always" and "Never" are really very strong statements; absolutes, and those are vanishingly rare in the real world.

In my "little" post, when I talked about gross chassis setup and incorporating ARB rates into the wheel rate calculation, that would be an example of where adding ARB rate (starting from zero) would increase grip. Remember that the goal is contact patch management, and NOT decreasing gross visible body roll.

To help think about exactly why a swaybar tends to reduce grip, think about how an ARB works to transfer loads between the loaded (outside) and unloaded (inside) tires in a corner. As the outside suspension compresses, loading the tire, the ARB transfers a portion of that vertical motion to the inside suspension, which is trying to go into a droop condition, effectively applying a lifting force to that tire, and reducing the load on it.

Now, think about how load and grip capability inter-relate. An unloaded tire has low grip capability, effectively that of the friction coefficient between it and the surface that it's (barely) in contact with. A LOADED tire, however has a much higher grip capability. IF the amount of grip due to the loading was a linear function, then load transfer would simply subtract grip from the unloaded side, and add it to the loaded side. Unfortunately, the "grip vs. load" function plots out more like a bell curve, and is NOT a zero-sum game. In other words, the grip you lose by unloading the outside tire is greater than the grip you gain by loading the inside tire.

Also, as you continue to increase load on the outside tire, there will come a point where you cross the peak of the graph, and actually overload the tire. At that point, adding additional load to that tire results in less available grip, not more. So, you could be in a situation where adding more bar rate (and thus load transfer from side to side) will decrease grip at a very high rate: the inside tire losing grip from being unloaded, and the outside tire losing grip from being over-loaded.

It still stands to reason that on a perfectly smooth track, with no bumps at all, getting all your wheel rate with springs and no bars is the ultimate solution. The outside tire is free to drop down and conform to the track surface, providing the maximum possible grip from that tire, and the inside tire is free to apply 100% of the transferred load (from body roll) and simultaneously achieve maximum possible grip. Adding a bar into the equation in this specific case would indeed cause a net loss of grip.

Unfortunately, there is no track on the planet that is that smooth, so we have to deal with bumps and dips all over the place, even if they are (comparatively) small. With super-stiff springs (zero ARB model), as the tire rolls across a bump the forces exerted into the suspension won't be absorbed by the spring, they'll be transmitted directly to the chassis, causing it to rise:

APEX-E36-M3-1368-768.jpeg

While that is an "extreme" example, the concept still holds. IF one were to assume that the above "bump" was the roughest on the track and were to set the car up appropriately to handle that bump, you would want to run springs that were soft enough to allow the tire to remain in contact with the track surface, and then make up the wheel rate difference with ARB rate to keep the camber at the right point of the curve for contact patch. That would create a net increase in grip.

Of course, if your "normal line" didn't involve that curb, then there's no point in tuning for it. Also, tuning for that bump also pre-supposes that the bump in question will actually affect your total grip budget. If you hit that bump at or near your chassis' max lat-G, then yes, of course it will affect the way the car handles that portion of the corner. If, on the other hand, you're NOT at max-Q (wide radius bend that you're still accelerating into, resulting in a peak-G of 0.4 or whatever) then lifting the inside tires into the air may have no effect at all on peak performance. Clear as mud, eh? ;-)

The bottom line is that while ARBs are actually very simple devices, the effects they have on chassis balance and grip are quite powerful.

Another data point: Poke your head inside the cockpit of an Australian V8 Supercar, and you'll see two levers mounted on the trans tunnel outboard and behind the shifter base, one with a red handle, one with a blue handle. These are connected via cables to the front and rear ARBs (blade style: sexy!) and allow the driver to adjust the front and rear rollbar rates on the fly to compensate for tire degradation and weight-balance change from burning off fuel... Starting to oversteer? Go down a notch on the rear bar, or go up a notch on the front bar...

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
No, that makes plenty sense Dave. I was aware of the swaybar effects on the opposite tire in a turn before I posted my "official complaint." I guess I got tired of hearing that a swaybar will always decrease net grip at the end of the car that receives a bigger bar.

Thanks for your thorough descriptions and time.

neema

forum member
Reaction score
A video from today's session. I ran an external microphone to the trunk but there still seems to be sound clipping. Still learning how to get around the track (first time out)

Look at the seat movement!

Last edited:

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Also, here are some pictures showing the differences between the front KW clubsport strut and the Cortex offset strut. I removed the small 3mm spacer originally used to keep the tire away from the strut and there is still a good amount of clearance. The issue now becomes clearance between the front LCA and the fender liner when the steering is at full lock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560277.527274.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560303.875067.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560314.494896.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560357.196122.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560371.549201.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560381.981543.jpg

The camber/caster plates are made by Maximum motor sports, which is nice. You can see hints of their design with the caster tab on the strut tower.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392560411.284149.jpg

With this setup, I think 18x11s in a 50mm offset will work in the front and rear, using a 10mm spacer in the front. I'll use steering limiters to mitigate contact. Cortex has ran 18x10.5s et47 on these with no spacers front and rear, but I'd like a wider wheel to support 305s or even 295s.

I hope to install the watts link soon.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392561015.550051.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392561051.353143.jpg

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Smooth driving Neema. You going to buy seats now?

I know you did not just buy those JRi's....right?

Rabee

Reaction score
Neema, have you tried the Cortex stuff yet?
Was the last video on KW CS?
I am very interested to hear your review and videos!!

neema

forum member
Reaction score
Smooth driving Neema. You going to buy seats now?

I know you did not just buy those JRi's....right?

Right now the car has "KWRi's." JRis in front and clubsports in the back. It's a secret setup--don't tell anybody.

The blizzard in North Carolina put a damper (hah) on UPS fulfilling deliveries, so half of the suspension shipped from JRi while the other half didn't. What I drove on wasn't the ideal setup, but I didn't expect things to take as long and had the fronts mounted already. I wasn't going to change the struts back.

Spring rates are 450/250 and I'll go from there. Filip mentioned that the difference in nitrogen pressure inside the JRis vs Konis yielded a 100 lb difference in spring recommendation (he would have set me up with 550 lb/in front springs on Konis). I thought that was interesting--I certainly need to read up on how dampers work to better understand those differences.

I don't like how the spring doesn't stay in place at full droop, so I'll look into some hyperco tender springs, like this: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=1876

I did a ride-along in a nicely setup e36 m3 (the purple one above in this thread that has a tire in the air) with a great driver behind the wheel. He had proper fixed back seats in there and it was incredible how much you could feel what the car was doing.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392624792.058609.jpg

Here's a photo of the parking lot. The truck/trailer and car is in there somewhere! This was my first time driving with NASA and I was pleased with the experience. The director of my hpde group (open passing) just oozed experience and schooled anyone that stepped out of line. My group was small and the sense of camaraderie was there. It was safety oriented while still realizing we were there seeking how to responsibly drive faster. Makes me feel better about getting into TT.

I skipped the last session after noticing gear oil on my rear wheel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392625214.392117.jpg

I thought my catch can may have failed somewhere, but it seems like the axle itself is leaking at the hub. Don't know what would have prompted this, but it's something else I need to address.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392625272.180799.jpg

I'll try to fix it while the watt's link goes on.

Comments on the track: Sonoma is f'ing scary compared to Laguna Seca or Buttonwillow. There are walls at the latter tracks, but not in the same number or proximity compared to Sonoma. You need to respect all of them, otherwise it'll ruin your day in a bad way. That said, it's an awesome course. The topography is more than any YouTube video could suggest. Lots of chicanes/switchbacks and plenty of crests to slide across.

Comments on the car: tire wear looks like it indicates a lack of tread use. I dropped pressure down to 36psi hot but never ran it after seeing the leaky hub seal. Camber looked marginal in some of the photos I saw, but it's fully maxed out (haven't had it properly aligned after swapping struts). There is no slotted hole in the cortex strut, and the MM camber plate doesn't scoot over as much as the Clubsport camber plate. The car came loose on a bumpy section of the track (turn 9) under steady throttle and steering input. I realize the car is a Mustang and not a Mercedes, but this hampered my confidence. Turn 9 is at the top of 4th gear (decently fast) and surrounded by walls with little runoff. The car seemed to oversteer less on corner exit/acceleration, which was nice. I haven't put power down like that before.

I met a nice guy named Ryan in an s197 racing TTB. He installed a cortex watts and described it as something that helped him feel more confident. He was using rod ends. Didn't ask which adjustment holes used for roll center. Durr

Below is a video of my last session. It's slow and riddled with driver errors, but I had too many things on my mind to worry about speed. I didn't time my laps, which I'll probably regret. At the time, it let me focus purely on improving.

Sorry for the long post. I write this for myself more than anything else to record my trials and tribulations. I do it openly on a forum in hope that some of you can benefit from it.

Rabee

Reaction score
The more you write the better!
Try to interrogate the hub oil issue then post another video and review after completing the installation of your Xtreme grip setup.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back