2011 shifter from mgw close to completion...some specs and info>>

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
I don't think this has been covered yet, I could be wrong.

How does the shifter play with the 1st to 4th forced shift? I want to pull the module while I'm installing the shifter, but if there are good solid reasons why I shouldn't, then I'll leave it and continue to hate it.

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score

How does the shifter play with the 1st to 4th forced shift? I want to pull the module while I'm installing the shifter, but if there are good solid reasons why I shouldn't, then I'll leave it and continue to hate it.

The shifter has nothing to do with Skip-shift. There is no reason to pull any "module", just unplug it and secure the loose connector while you're under there. I've had mine unplugged for ~3000 miles now.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score

If you get a programmer your tuner will be able to disable skip shift in the tune. If you unplug the module you will still get the light when the PCM is trying to activate it. Not a big deal.

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
The shifter has nothing to do with Skip-shift. There is no reason to pull any "module", just unplug it and secure the loose connector while you're under there. I've had mine unplugged for ~3000 miles now.
I realize that. It is on the side of the transmission under the car from what I understand. With the action taking place internally within the transmission, I get that they're unrelated for the most part. What I'm looking for is input from people who have both disabled the skip shift and have the MGW shifter.
If you get a programmer your tuner will be able to disable skip shift in the tune. If you unplug the module you will still get the light when the PCM is trying to activate it. Not a big deal.
Thanks man. I had read about the message still displaying with the module disconnected. I may just deal with the message until I'm ready to get a dyno tune. Haven't decided what I'm going to do there yet.

Last edited:

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
What I'm looking for is input from people who have both disabled the skip shift and have the MGW shifter.

Then you have it. I've got the MGW shifter and unplugged my Skip-shift. The one has no effect on the other. A tuner can disable it or you can just unplug it. I'm not running a tune and so unplugging it was the best option for me.

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
Then you have it. I've got the MGW shifter and unplugged my Skip-shift. The one has no effect on the other. A tuner can disable it or you can just unplug it. I'm not running a tune and so unplugging it was the best option for me.
Awesome. Thanks!

Any 2nd gear crunch for you before the shifter swap and did the new shifter help at all?

Wingspan

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks!

Any 2nd gear crunch for you before the shifter swap and did the new shifter help at all?

The MGW makes a world of difference on overall shift quality and all but eliminates missed shifts, but its not a cure for the MT82's rough edges. If you've got crunchy shifts now, odds are you'll still have them after the swap. I still have the occasional crunch going into second, mostly in left turns and when the trans is cold.

StangAddict

forum member
Reaction score
The MGW makes a world of difference on overall shift quality and all but eliminates missed shifts, but its not a cure for the MT82's rough edges. If you've got crunchy shifts now, odds are you'll still have them after the swap. I still have the occasional crunch going into second, mostly in left turns and when the trans is cold.
Cool. Thanks for the info!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im confused, they have them on their site and you can pay for them now. It said nothing about having to wait. MGW is their still a waiting list or are these in full production now? I need an answer.

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
Im confused, they have them on their site and you can pay for them now. It said nothing about having to wait. MGW is their still a waiting list or are these in full production now? I need an answer.

I called their office and the receptionist said there is a 2-3 week wait. I ordered mine but haven't been charged yet. The order is just in the system.

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score

please read this page on our website and it will explain alot...

http://mgwltd.com/about_mgw.shtml

we are making these CONSTANTLY but have orders filled in order they are received. usually looking at about 3-4 weeks turnaround on this shifter at least until we catch up to demand which will be probably springtime.

we have shipped all orders up thru the 21 of december and the next batch will ship end of next week which should have us all the way up thru this week.

george

PvilleStang

Your tax dollars at work!
Reaction score
Okay, did the search, and just want to ask:

Do you offer a discount for these, or straight up $375+$35 for knob? Definitely impressed, and I'm doing my homework on what short throw to get. Hurst has a good amount of chatter, good and bad. Steeda and Ford Racing, they just look cheap. Unfortunately, being such a new vehicle, not a lot of people I know have a shifter on theirs I can try.

Black 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
please read this page on our website and it will explain alot...

http://mgwltd.com/about_mgw.shtml

we are making these CONSTANTLY but have orders filled in order they are received. usually looking at about 3-4 weeks turnaround on this shifter at least until we catch up to demand which will be probably springtime.

we have shipped all orders up thru the 21 of december and the next batch will ship end of next week which should have us all the way up thru this week.

george

I just ordered the shifter w/heat shield last night, finally...Les see? If the next batch is shipping next week, I can expect mine 3-4 weeks after that? This is OK by me as I don't have plans to do any work on my car for a month or so anyway. Just curious...

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Okay, did the search, and just want to ask:

Do you offer a discount for these, or straight up $375+$35 for knob? Definitely impressed, and I'm doing my homework on what short throw to get. Hurst has a good amount of chatter, good and bad. Steeda and Ford Racing, they just look cheap. Unfortunately, being such a new vehicle, not a lot of people I know have a shifter on theirs I can try.

You could probably go buy a Hurst or Steeda shifter cheaper, and the retailer might even give you a decent discount in order to help them move the merchandise. Or you could get in line and place your order for the best shifter on the market.

:2cents:

cgibs89

Stickers add HP brah
Reaction score
You could probably go buy a Hurst or Steeda shifter cheaper, and the retailer might even give you a decent discount in order to help them move the merchandise. Or you could get in line and place your order for the best shifter on the market.

:2cents:

:party:

MGW

Official Vendor
Reaction score
guys i just don't see any discounts coming on these shifters as i ALWAYS price them at cost of build and tooling plus normnal shop overhead. thats why you NEVER see our shifter prices going up and down like a dmaned pendulum and half off sales and presidents sales etc...

the price is the price. if i make them cheaper i lower the price. if it costs more like materials going up i raise the price. i dont artificially inflate the price. thats why we basically sell direc.t there is no wholesale price point.

i probably dont have the right mindset when it comes to marketing going direct but for me it works. i do what i do best and design these things for ME as the end user so i am VERY picky.

its worth the price i promise!!

george

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back