2013 GT Having Trouble Finding Third

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Does anyone have an issue with their 2013 manual trans finding 3rd? it doesn't seem to matter how fast the car is going or how hard or soft I am accelerating. Just wondering what you guys have done about it?

I was thinking of changing the gearbox oil with some RP or possibly doing a torque limiter. I am a bit hesitant because the car only has 1500 miles on it. I don't know if I should let the dealer work on it or not.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I figured out that a more "straight ahead" motion is more accurate than an "up and to the right" motion when making the 2-3 shift, especially at high rpm. It might take some practice to get it right and get comfortable that you're not going to go back to first.

Once you figure it out, it will feel like second nature.

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
The stock shifter bracket is a flimsy stamped steel piece with a soft rubber. The shifter moves around a lot. So it is hard to repeat shifts as the gate is not always in the same spot. Making it harder to hit gear consistently. Get a aftermarket shifter bracket made of aluminum and the poly bushing. It improves deflection very well. Good mod for the money.

Fluid is not going to make a huge difference. But it can make shifting slightly smoother.

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
as said, often times side loading or pushing the shifter over to the gate is the problem, let the shifter find the 3rd gear gate on its on, be smooth with it

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Every S197 shifter fix is the same.

Better shifter

Prothane style motor mounts

Urethane trans mount

The object is to prevent the trans/engine from twisting under acceleration which binds the shift linkage.

BadHabit2Break

forum member
Reaction score
Beat on it. Sometimes you just have to let it know who's the boss.:crazy:

like_a_boss_postcard-reaa17e2007494ccfad8e5b2e7d34f48e_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
I figured out that a more "straight ahead" motion is more accurate than an "up and to the right" motion when making the 2-3 shift, especially at high rpm. It might take some practice to get it right and get comfortable that you're not going to go back to first.

I'll give that a shot. Been driving stick for 27 years and I'm pretty use to moving it to the right a bit. I noticed it seems to self align a shade more to the left when i let it go.

The stock shifter bracket is a flimsy stamped steel piece with a soft rubber. The shifter moves around a lot. So it is hard to repeat shifts as the gate is not always in the same spot. Making it harder to hit gear consistently. Get a aftermarket shifter bracket made of aluminum and the poly bushing. It improves deflection very well. Good mod for the money.

Fluid is not going to make a huge difference. But it can make shifting slightly smoother.

Any recommendations on a bracket? I loved my Hurst shifter, but don't want to spend $450 right now.

hahaha how the hell do you know??

I didn't want to be the one to bring that up... :roflmao:

Every S197 shifter fix is the same.

Better shifter

Prothane style motor mounts

Urethane trans mount

The object is to prevent the trans/engine from twisting under acceleration which binds the shift linkage.

Any recommendation on an aftermarket shifter for the 13's? Is MGW and Hurst/BMR still at the top of the list?

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score

This. I simply just push up when going to 3rd.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
That Barton looks pretty cool. I can't believe the difference between the crappy stock brace and the performance brace.

The MGW looks cool too.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As stated get the barton bracket if you dont feel like getting a whole new shifter, otherwise get the MGW.

mikeyfitz

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Im perfectly fine with mine lol. Maybe ill get the bracket but even then, im surprised how the shifter feels on this car.

Eventually ill go MGW

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back