2013 gt with annoying vibration above 55. anyone else?

JpMotorSport

Reaction score
I have a 2011 GT with 12,800 miles and the only vibration at speeds +55 MPH I have is consistent with lowering springs/struts in the front w/ aftermarket wheels. Very minor at best and only at higher speeds. Consistent with the EPAS behavior.

I'd focus on that. It's a known quantity around here.

jukens

Reaction score
Get the axles checked. A slight bend at the flange will cause highway speed vibration like unbalanced wheels.

stevegt2012

Reaction score
Have the dealer put a dial indicator on the wheels and check the run out. It it's out then they can delve deeper into the cause.

Lowridin150

Reaction score
2013 gt with m6 i had nasty vibration for a while at 75+mph turned out i hit a raccoon and broke the plastic belly pan in the front the one that connects to the front bumper and it was hanging and around 75mph it start to vibrate the whole car even shimmy the steering wheel

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Really. Looked under the car. Nothing loose. Just found out today that ford is giving the dealership a hard time with warranty about replacing the tires. That's just not right. Gonna get a lawyer to draw up the paper work for Magnusson moss Lemmon law. That way I have all my bases covered.

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score
Really. Looked under the car. Nothing loose. Just found out today that ford is giving the dealership a hard time with warranty about replacing the tires. That's just not right. Gonna get a lawyer to draw up the paper work for Magnusson moss Lemmon law. That way I have all my bases covered.

They should really try the EPAS steering rack out of another car of like specs on the lot and see if it's not a fix. Ask them if they can't do that or see if they have one in stock that they can try.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
They should really try the EPAS steering rack out of another car of like specs on the lot and see if it's not a fix. Ask them if they can't do that or see if they have one in stock that they can try.

No dealer service department is going to take a part of a perfectly good car in the lot that can be sold to the public...

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
No dealer service department is going to take a part of a perfectly good car in the lot that can be sold to the public...

you would be very surprised at what they do at dealerships. if the customer complains enough i have seen them swap entire rear ends and warranty the one out of the bad car once someone buys the car the took the new rear out of.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you would be very surprised at what they do at dealerships. if the customer complains enough i have seen them swap entire rear ends and warranty the one out of the bad car once someone buys the car the took the new rear out of.

Damn, really? Every dealer I've ever gone to has refused to do anything like that.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
they wont tell you what they do and def wont do it if a customer asks. if a tech is in a bind and cannot figure out why they will then start going through the motions to remove parts off a car thats been sitting on the lot for a while.

seen it 100's of times on all different types of cars. focus to mustang to f150 to fusion....

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
I guess you have seen it all since you were a ford tech. My dealer is a small dealership. They had to order my car and it took over 5 months to receive it. I would prefer to just keep the car as I like everything about it. I traded my supercharged 05 gt in on this cause it was just as fast as mine. Now I was only pushing 6# of boost out of my techco 3.0. But I liked the look of the 2013 better.
I'm sure you guys know where I'm at with this. Most everyone would just want it fixed and move on. But they have to fix this.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
My best guess is the drive shaft - You have already checked just about everything else.
Pull the driveshaft & have it re-balanced at a competent shop - $75 to $125 - Take the hit & sleep better. You already have way more time / money invested into it.
Not all driveshaft shops are the same - Find a good one that can spin it to at least 3000 RPM.
If it is a digital machine (That is working properly), it will tell them where to put the weights but also make them put a dial indicator on the drive shaft when it is running to check for high speed run out. Their machine might need service - Most shops do not have a clue.
Been here way too many times.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
I am betting it may be the driveshaft as well. I bent one on my old Fox and it had a nasty vibe at about 60. I cant tell you how many times I had the wheels checked and what not. Does the vibration die back down? if so, at what speed?

JDos1

forum member
Reaction score

They will....and do.

When I was having transmission issues they took the d/s out of a new car on the lot and swapped it for mine to see if it was any part of the issue. It wasn't and they ended up replacing the transmission. I actually think they let the new driveshaft come home with me and put my old one back in the new car.

Last edited:

cudaman

Reaction score
I assume you took it up to speed that vibrates, like 85 or so, then disengaged the transmisison and driveline to put it into neutral at some point, correct? That would at least eliminate driveline and motor mount issues. Take it up to 100mph and disengage, see if it still shudders at 85 without driveline. With that eliminated, try doing the 85 mph ride again with driveline engaged and turn hard left and right like you are making an emergency lane change to see if the shuddering changes it's feel at 85 during the weight shifting left and right. If the shuddering stays, it's not suspension or weight transfer issues. (bad wheel bearings' noise will change pitch as the weight unloads off the bad bearing). So, if this is still an issue, at least you may have some more fodder for the cannon..... At least you will know if it is triggered by engine/driveline issues, versus axles, versus bent wheels, versus bad bearings, versus frame bent, or whatever it ends up to be....I would figure the dealership would do stuff like that to eliminate the problem since that's what they do for a living.... Just a thought.... eliminate big stuff, then get to the little stuff.

Hey, just thought of something else that might work.....why not contact your favorite dyno place, hook the car up to the dyno and see if the same problem occurs on a "smooth rode" that the dyno provides? If it shudders at 85, it's more of a controlled environment. Won't be able to make any turns obviously, but you could video the driveshaft, axles, and wheels and then view the video for imbalances/wobble..... frame by frame if need be.

Last edited:

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Just snack update. Ford put some device that measures vibration on the car. It checked within their specs. So it iswwhat it is I guess.

strokn88lx

Going Broke
Reaction score
I.am.having the same problem. 80+ is horrible. But, it all started for me after i let someone put gears in my car. So now i have a shaft master 1 piece, new rear end, and still get it. Oh i also put in a new pinion flange. So now i ordered a new flange for the transmission. If it helps i will keep you updated.

2mchtoy

addicted to speed
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems it's more liveable than othertimes. But when your on the interstate doing 78-80 it can get annoying. Sad to say that I've always love the blue oval and this is my first brand new mustang and it makes me want to sell it. Shouldnt feel like this with a brand new car regardless of the brand.

moostang09

Resident YouTube Guy
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My 2011 f-150 ecoboost would shake like you are describing but my 2013 mustang doesn't at all.

Ford claimed the tires had bald spots from sitting on the lot so long. Bought it in the end of 2011.. The replaced tires and the shake was still there... Some claimed an out of balance drive shaft... But that came up inconclusive as well. Have you tried a different dealership?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back