2014 Base to Track Apps Cluster Swap

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
A little update today since no one seems to know anything about this. I did change the "As Build" on the cluster 720 section 720-01-01 to F798-EF61-08 and the 720-01-02 to F80F-0000-31. This changed the automatic V6 to a Manual V8 with success. Still no Track Apps line item and the Automatic Oil Temp line is now gone. When I changed the line item 760-01-01 to 056E for Brembo Brakes, I got lots of errors with the ABS. It says my Brembo module has failed. I guess if you up-grade the brakes to a Big Brake Kit, you must replace the ABS modules to Brembo.

I still have not done the keys yet. I do not want to brick the car. It might be in order to get the Track Apps to work in the cluster, you must have the Track Package in the car. Standard brake code for both V6 and V8 is 016A. It's EZ to go back and forth as Forscan allows programming by line item.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Track Apps was available without the Track Pack.
It was only available on Premium cars, but it didn't require the Track Pack

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Track Apps was available without the Track Pack.
It was only available on Premium cars, but it didn't require the Track Pack
Well for sure my LCD cluster came from a 2014 Mustang V6 Premium car with Nav. It was a deal because it had 18800 miles on it so it matchs my mileage of 18100 all for $140. Then a new lens for $40 so it looks brand new. In more study on this, with some people buying used Premium cars, one key gives Track App and the other key does not. It's a MYKEY deal as Track Apps can be locked out with a MYKEY. I may need to actually program the keys which I will do today.

It playing with Forscan program, it seem the program only talks to the cluster and tells the cluster what to read from the ECU. When I write in the Brembo code, the cluster lights like a Christmas tree on all the errors. When I put the standard brake code back in, it calms back down to normal.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
SUCCESS!!! Keys Programmed! Everything works Track Apps and all. Test Drive is also good.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
After all said and done the Plug and Play part of a Track Apps LDC Cluster swap is to take one from a Leather Seat 2014 GT Manual with standard brakes and install it in a 2014 Base GT Manual with cloth seats and standard brakes. Only the PAT needs to be done and the cluster will be fully operational. Anything else is mix and match with at least some programing with Forscan.

Forscan is free and but you must purchase a $10 one year license to make it work regardless what other people say. You will also need a connector which can run from $15 to $50.

Save your time going to a dealers. They will just tell you things that are not true. The best is to do a junkyard search for a 2014 Leather Seat Mustang. Try to find something close to your mileage. I seen prices all over the place. Cheapest was Buffalo NY at $75 for a 25000 miles one to the Alabama group that wanted $300 and they will change the mileage to your specs. I chose one in Ohio for $150 shipping included with 18000 miles from a side swiped 2014 Mustang V6. With a new $40 lens from the dealer, it looked brand new. Rock Auto supplied the 4 way switch at $40.

Forscan is in two sections to make new keys. One is a 10 minute cluster scan and when that is done, then another 10 minute key scan. You have to set there and wait.

Last edited:

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
About time you actually did the swap!

In an effort to stop propagating false information on the internet: the ten minute wait is NOT a scan, it is a built in delay so a thief cant just program a key and drive away.
I use the free trial license in forscan. It has full access, I dont care what anyone says.
And now my OCD is satisfied.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
About time you actually did the swap!

In an effort to stop propagating false information on the internet: the ten minute wait is NOT a scan, it is a built in delay so a thief cant just program a key and drive away.
I use the free trial license in forscan. It has full access, I dont care what anyone says.
And now my OCD is satisfied.

What ever you might call it, there are two of them in a row making it 20 minutes or so. I could never get the Forscan to work without the $10 dollars. For sure once you pay the $10 and get the code to install, everything else is EZ. So your choice can be free and your a computer expert with a $200,000 job at Microsoft or your just an old Boomer with a flip phone designed by Actor William Shatner at CMU and because of that, it cost you 10 bucks.

Last edited:

MustangDave21

Reaction score
Hey LarryJM,

Any chance you could help guide me on doing this swap?

I have a 2014 Mustang Automatic V6. I'm wanting the 2014 Mustang premium instrument cluster. The only problem is I have a hard time understand the as built data. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Hey LarryJM,

Any chance you could help guide me on doing this swap?

I have a 2014 Mustang Automatic V6. I'm wanting the 2014 Mustang premium instrument cluster. The only problem is I have a hard time understand the as built data. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Forget the build data and it pages of instructions. The things that need to be done.

If you find one in a 2014 Mustang Automatic V6 in a junk yard, you need to do nothing but the key program. This is what I found and it had the mileage within 500 miles of my Mustang.

So the codes:

I needed to enter the code for a V8 vs V6
I needed to enter the code for a 6 speed vs Auto.

It already had the standard brake code.

Then it takes a full 30 minutes to reprogram the keys.

So first you got to find one. They are on any 2013/14 Mustang with leather seats. The 2013 is slightly different in the face. I recommend Car-Part.com. I paid $150 including shipping. I purchased a new lens from Ford for $40. New steering wheel buttons from Rockauto for $40. Looks and runs perfect.

MustangDave21

Reaction score
Thank you for replying. I went to ca
Forget the build data and it pages of instructions. The things that need to be done.

If you find one in a 2014 Mustang Automatic V6 in a junk yard, you need to do nothing but the key program. This is what I found and it had the mileage within 500 miles of my Mustang.

So the codes:

I needed to enter the code for a V8 vs V6
I needed to enter the code for a 6 speed vs Auto.

It already had the standard brake code.

Then it takes a full 30 minutes to reprogram the keys.

So first you got to find one. They are on any 2013/14 Mustang with leather seats. The 2013 is slightly different in the face. I recommend Car-Part.com. I paid $150 including shipping. I purchased a new lens from Ford for $40. New steering wheel buttons from Rockauto for $40. Looks and runs perfect.

Thank you for replying.

I went to Car-Part.com yesterday and found one near me. They wasted my time though. They claimed they had it and when I got there they actually didn't. They then pulled one from a different mustang and it obviously wasn't the one I needed. So I walked away empty handed.

I found one at a different location near me. They sent me pictures just now and it's the one I need. I should have it in hand tomorrow. I might ask them if they can get me the switch. I'm sure they will prolly say steering wheel sold all together. But it doesn't hurt right? I will have to inspect to see if I need a new lens.

Is there anything I should look for when inspecting? I guess besides cracked housing or broken tabs? It's coming off a 2014 mustang manual gt. I have a 14 mustang auto V6.

Also which tool did you purchase to program. I'm stuck between 3 different wired ones on Amazon. 2 are around $20 and one is $50. Of course they say the $50 is better.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
You will have to code it back to a auto V6. Although maybe not. If you code it to auto, you get the trans temp. If you code it back to a V6, you might not get the Track Apps. So first you need to program it for your keys. I just used the cheap connector for $15 and Forscan with a $5 member fee. I could not get the free one to work. Take the old cluster out. It takes some man handle to get it out and just plug in the new one in. I used towels to secure it and only completely installed it after I was happy everything was working. Let it come up and see what you get. It only reads the PCM. It never sends messages back. I have all the codes. The codes only tell the cluster what to read. I will list them later on.

MustangDave21

Reaction score
Quick update.

Yesterday I picked up the instrument cluster from the salvage yard. I received the obd tool yesterday from Amazon as well. I ended up purchasing the Forscan recommended tool so I wouldn't have to mess with the switch. Hopefully this tool will make things simpler and easier. I decided not to go the cheap route even though I wanted to. Im still waiting on Amazon for the switch. So far I'm out of pocket $75 for cluster, $46 for switch, and $50 for obd tool. Total approximately $180 with taxes etc.

I'm trying to clean the gauge glass instead of spending another $40. Are these easy to take off? Is there a video? I'm wanting to do a deep cleaning on the glass and if it can't be cleaned to my liking I will then purchase another lens upon verifying everything is in working condition.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Yea, the cluster lens comes off pretty easy.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Quick update.

Yesterday I picked up the instrument cluster from the salvage yard. I received the obd tool yesterday from Amazon as well. I ended up purchasing the Forscan recommended tool so I wouldn't have to mess with the switch. Hopefully this tool will make things simpler and easier. I decided not to go the cheap route even though I wanted to. Im still waiting on Amazon for the switch. So far I'm out of pocket $75 for cluster, $46 for switch, and $50 for obd tool. Total approximately $180 with taxes etc.

I'm trying to clean the gauge glass instead of spending another $40. Are these easy to take off? Is there a video? I'm wanting to do a deep cleaning on the glass and if it can't be cleaned to my liking I will then purchase another lens upon verifying everything is in working condition.

It's not glass by easy scratch plastic. A new lens will make the cluster look like new. It comes off with about 8 screws. So the cluster is off a 2014 Mustang V8 Premium with standard brakes?

MustangDave21

Reaction score
I want to try to clean before I spend more money. I'm sure a new lens would be a lot better though. Besides, I still need to test to make sure it works before I buy anything else.

I found a video online regarding the screws.

I'm unsure of what kind of brakes the mustang had. 2014 mustang v8 premium for sure though.

MustangDave21

Reaction score
Did you have a part number for the cluster lens? I found two different ones. I'm assuming B is the upgraded part but they're basically the same?

(DR3Z-10890-A)

(DR3Z-10890-B)

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Did you have a part number for the cluster lens? I found two different ones. I'm assuming B is the upgraded part but they're basically the same?

(DR3Z-10890-A)

(DR3Z-10890-B)
The lens for the basic cluster is way different then the lens for the Track Apps cluster. Otherwise you could just use the lens of your original basic cluster. I think B is what you want. I will pull out my records to see.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Well I can NOT find my receipt of original box. I do have records I pulled off the web saying the cluster lens I needed was DR3Z-10890-B. This fits 2013 Boss and some 2014 cars including the 2014 GT-500.

Then the codes for 720-01-01

First is F798 and this says No Navigation
Second is EF61 and this is also for No Navigation.
Third is 88 for V6
Then 720-02-01
First code is FA8D for Auto
Second is 0000
Third is B0 for Auto

760-01-01

Brake code will be 016A for standard brakes.

Last edited:

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Original code from my junkyard find V6 Auto Nav was this.

720-01-01 F788 7F61 88
720-02-01 FA8C 0000 B0

I changed it to this for a Mustang GT V8 Manual Base.

720-01-01 F798 EF61 08
720-02-01 F80F 0000 31

720-01-01 unchanged at 016A

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back