2015 Power numbers

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If the ecoboost vehicles didn't have to weigh close to 6500-7000 lbs they would be in the 10's. There are 12 second F150's despite the weight handicap. Imagine that in a mustang that's 2000-2500 lbs lighter. A tuned 3.5 EB mustang would FLY. A tune only Ecoboost vs a tune only 5.0 and my money is on the 6 cyl.

As for the DI being limited, well it is for now. If ford put that motor in the mustang I bet we would see a strong aftermarket for it. With that many possible customers somebody would step up and offer higher volume pumps and supporting mods. Also the diesel crowd doesn't seem to be lacking support.

The Taurus EB world is pretty large. That car comes in around 4300-4400lbs.

It's not about support, it's about the complication of it, IMO.

The new EB in the Mustang comes with an integrated manifold, that is cast into the cylinder head. That is the first obstacle. The second, is the complication of upgrading the DI fuel system. You can only make parts so cost effective - then it also comes down to the market (end user) being willing and able to spend the money on the parts, then the money to upgrade. I am sure the market will swing around for them, but it is going to cost a good bit of money to make them perform like a basic modded 5.0 model.

Time will tell. I can't wait to see what the market has in store for the S550!

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
The Taurus EB world is pretty large. That car comes in around 4300-4400lbs.

It's not about support, it's about the complication of it, IMO.

The new EB in the Mustang comes with an integrated manifold, that is cast into the cylinder head. That is the first obstacle. The second, is the complication of upgrading the DI fuel system. You can only make parts so cost effective - then it also comes down to the market (end user) being willing and able to spend the money on the parts, then the money to upgrade. I am sure the market will swing around for them, but it is going to cost a good bit of money to make them perform like a basic modded 5.0 model.

Time will tell. I can't wait to see what the market has in store for the S550!
You're talking about the exhaust manifold for the turbo is cast into the cylinder head for the twin scroll design right? Not the intake side that is all composite. I see what you're saying that being a complication if you're talking about the hot side. Twin scroll designs are not cheap and you won't be able to just bolt on a larger single scroll for high rpm big power big boost applications with an integrated twin scroll exhaust manifold.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Yes.

The Turbo Manifold (OEM Twin Scroll) is cast into the cylinder head.

So, this means some SERIOUS modding to swap the turbo out. Whether it be chop the mounting point off, and fabricate a new one....an adapter to to adapt the twin scroll to another option, or replacing the entire cylinder head with some other million dollar cylinder head integrated turbo design.

I am thinking an adapter of some sort, will be the most cost effective option - if it is even possible?

Hopefully there are similar cylinder head offerings that have a true bolt-on style exhaust manifold, that can be swapped onto these engines.

We will see!

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If the ecoboost vehicles didn't have to weigh close to 6500-7000 lbs they would be in the 10's. There are 12 second F150's despite the weight handicap. Imagine that in a mustang that's 2000-2500 lbs lighter. A tuned 3.5 EB mustang would FLY. A tune only Ecoboost vs a tune only 5.0 and my money is on the 6 cyl.

As for the DI being limited, well it is for now. If ford put that motor in the mustang I bet we would see a strong aftermarket for it. With that many possible customers somebody would step up and offer higher volume pumps and supporting mods. Also the diesel crowd doesn't seem to be lacking support.

The EB F-150's don't weigh nearly that. My FX4 Scab weighs 5600# with all the trimmings.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Yes.

The Turbo Manifold (OEM Twin Scroll) is cast into the cylinder head.

So, this means some SERIOUS modding to swap the turbo out. Whether it be chop the mounting point off, and fabricate a new one....an adapter to to adapt the twin scroll to another option, or replacing the entire cylinder head with some other million dollar cylinder head integrated turbo design.

I am thinking an adapter of some sort, will be the most cost effective option - if it is even possible?

Hopefully there are similar cylinder head offerings that have a true bolt-on style exhaust manifold, that can be swapped onto these engines.

We will see!

Something like this?

http://www.full-race.com/articles/fusion-freak-o-boost.html

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back