3v engine build! HELP!!!!

-ZeusOfBoost-

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently building a high compression short block for my turbo '05, I bought a set of Manley #594020 flat tops, these flat tops are completely flat on the top, no valve relief. Is this gonna be a issue? There the same compression height as the rest of the flat tops that are designed for a 3v just doesn't have any reliefs. I've heard that the 3v doesn't need a relief until .550 or more lift cam.
67aded7a69aa7869c4ac74a350b58cc8.jpg
e90243c7af3c54dfaf6d46bf8e8355cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Manley does not spec those for 4.6 3V engines. I would contact them and get their opinion. If you get it wrong, pretty expensive lesson.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I don't have a high lift cam, just the .490 lift comp 127300's but with my VCT locked out and no reliefs for valves there was a ridiculous amount of room. My engine builder put putty on the piston top and turned the crank and the valve never even touched the putty.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't have a high lift cam, just the .490 lift comp 127300's but with my VCT locked out and no reliefs for valves there was a ridiculous amount of room. My engine builder put putty on the piston top and turned the crank and the valve never even touched the putty.

Good post, thanks for sharing that.

-ZeusOfBoost-

Reaction score
Awesome guys!!! Thanks a ton! Got a steal on these pistons, and I was like... Well shit... Didn't think of that issue.

On another hand, I planned on breaking the engine in on stock cams before I go with a custom grind from Bullett and lockouts, will I be fine with the stock as well? I'd think so.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome guys!!! Thanks a ton! Got a steal on these pistons, and I was like... Well shit... Didn't think of that issue.

On another hand, I planned on breaking the engine in on stock cams before I go with a custom grind from Bullett and lockouts, will I be fine with the stock as well? I'd think so.

Not with a stock tune and non locked/limited cams, there are moments where the retard goes to 60degreees and PTV could occur, so no.

-ZeusOfBoost-

Reaction score
What if I lock out the stock cam? It'll be on a break in/start up tune. I do already have the lock outs, just didn't think a stock cam would need them.

-ZeusOfBoost-

Reaction score
I actually don't have them yet, I was gonna do the cams, new turbo and coldside and bigger fuel system after break in, I figured it would be easier to break it in on a smooth idling cam with 47# injectors other than 100# injectors and a big cam trying to get it to idle lol.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back