400whp NA 3V build

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
He is an employee hell no we didnt charge him that. It was also a test set for some new porting styles. Im sure it would be less then 16 hours labor for a customer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

16 hours would be about right. A normal port job for us is $900.00 dollars + valve grind for the pair and they will flow as good or better than the FRPP heads. The port job on the heads on this engine would cost 1400-1600 + valve grind. We spent a lot of time on the exhaust side trying to get the flow balance between the intake port and the exhaust port. Matt and I spent a bunch of time on the short side radius. I bet with some epoxy work, we would pick up some more exhaust flow. Port size and flow numbers aren't everything. cross section area and velocity has to be considered too. This isn't a max effort build though. I bet it will never see the drag strip so this combo is done.

I am positive that with some more cylinder head R&D, different cam profile with around .650-.700 lift, I could build a stroker big bore 3V that would make between 450whp and 475whp. I'm pretty certain that all of the aftermarket intakes are not the best design for max power delivery. I would build a sheet metal single plane short runner style 4 barrel intake for the 3V. I would use a Quick Fuel 750 carb and build stepped headers. Before the Coyote came out, I was in the middle of building one of these intakes. After the flow numbers were tested with the intake bolted to the heads, I was going to then have a cam ground with very fast ramp speeds and based on the flow results. I would guess that the cam would have been around .675 lift and 255/275 @ .050. on a 108-110 LSA. This engine idea would have at least 12.00:1 compression and run on pump gas.

Before I went with the Yates/NASCAR thing, I was going to build a max effort NA 3V but lost interest.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Either way nice work guys. Wondering if it would even be beneficial for me to get my heads ported or buying stage 1/2 heads when stepping to a built block.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
16 hours would be about right. A normal port job for us is $900.00 dollars + valve grind for the pair and they will flow as good or better than the FRPP heads. The port job on the heads on this engine would cost 1400-1600 + valve grind. We spent a lot of time on the exhaust side trying to get the flow balance between the intake port and the exhaust port. Matt and I spent a bunch of time on the short side radius. I bet with some epoxy work, we would pick up some more exhaust flow. Port size and flow numbers aren't everything. cross section area and velocity has to be considered too. This isn't a max effort build though. I bet it will never see the drag strip so this combo is done.

I am positive that with some more cylinder head R&D, different cam profile with around .650-.700 lift, I could build a stroker big bore 3V that would make between 450whp and 475whp. I'm pretty certain that all of the aftermarket intakes are not the best design for max power delivery. I would build a sheet metal single plane short runner style 4 barrel intake for the 3V. I would use a Quick Fuel 750 carb and build stepped headers. Before the Coyote came out, I was in the middle of building one of these intakes. After the flow numbers were tested with the intake bolted to the heads, I was going to then have a cam ground with very fast ramp speeds and based on the flow results. I would guess that the cam would have been around .675 lift and 255/275 @ .050. on a 108-110 LSA. This engine idea would have at least 12.00:1 compression and run on pump gas.

Before I went with the Yates/NASCAR thing, I was going to build a max effort NA 3V but lost interest.

:asshat: Get your interest back for the love of pete!!

lol...

1bad99

forum member
Reaction score
nice wish mine would have done 400 rwhp but i went with the 127500s

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
With any engine, most of the power gains come from the camshaft and cylinder head. If you look at NASCAR, NHRA, or any heads up class racing, most of the money spent on R&D goes into the heads, cam, and then intake manifold.

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
With any engine, most of the power gains come from the camshaft and cylinder head. If you look at NASCAR, NHRA, or any heads up class racing, most of the money spent on R&D goes into the heads, cam, and then intake manifold.

hhhmmm...

Lowfast

Just another idiot
Reaction score
Marc,

I have a 4.6 3v in my 65 Ford Falcon. I have debated FI vs NA for awhile but have landed on doing a progressive NA build on the engine. First stage would be heads, cams and intake, then later upping it with a built lower-end, maybe with a few extra cubes, that can be reliably spun to 7500 rpm regularly. The car will weigh sub 3000 lbs so a nice NA set-up like you put together shoudl really scoot. Any thoughts, reccomendations, or suggestions on this plan?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back