4032 piston options

46addict

Reaction score
From what I'm seeing on the web it seems 4032 forged pistons would be better than 2618 in just about every way for a street car that is raced occasionally. I am open to suggestions though so feel free to share any anecdotes and/or data to point me in a different direction. Power goal is 620ish whp on whatever amount of boost it takes to get there.
With that said are there any off the shelf 4032 pistons I can buy for a stock bore & stroke 4.6? It seems all the forged pistons I see on the market are 2618. Are Gibtec custom pistons the only option at this point?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wiseco off the shelf pistons being used in my 3.4 whipple build.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had good success with 2618. I built my motor about 7 years ago and during my research back then I found that the forged 4032 alloy was designed as a hypereutectic oem replacement for longevity in a high hp/rpm na application and that 2618 was better suited(more durable and withstand detonation better) for boost and my engine builder recommend staying away from 4032 for a boosted modular as well. Only precaution I was given was to drive easy low load/rpm when the motor is cold which I think is good advice for any setup. My car is used exactly as you describe, street car with occasional track use.

Last edited:

WARstang

forum member
Reaction score
From what I'm seeing on the web it seems 4032 forged pistons would be better than 2618 in just about every way for a street car that is raced occasionally. I am open to suggestions though so feel free to share any anecdotes and/or data to point me in a different direction. Power goal is 620ish whp on whatever amount of boost it takes to get there.
With that said are there any off the shelf 4032 pistons I can buy for a stock bore & stroke 4.6? It seems all the forged pistons I see on the market are 2618. Are Gibtec custom pistons the only option at this point?

Mahle makes off the shelf 4032 pistons.

46addict

Reaction score
I've had good success with 2618. I built my motor about 7 years ago and during my research back then I found that the forged 4032 alloy was designed as a hypereutectic oem replacement for longevity in a high hp/rpm na application and that 2618 was better suited(more durable and withstand detonation better) for boost and my engine builder recommend staying away from 4032 for a boosted modular as well. Only precaution I was given was to drive easy low load/rpm when the motor is cold which I think is good advice for any setup. My car is used exactly as you describe, street car with occasional track use.
Good to know, thanks for the response. Do you still have the build sheet with the clearances you used? I am reading .004" PTB for 2618 pistons. What are the rings set to and how many miles have you put on it? Any oil consumption issues?

Mahle makes off the shelf 4032 pistons.
I saw that too but they only come in 16cc from what I know. Not what I want for my setup. For what it's worth I emailed DSS and they make 4032 pistons. They told me it's $700 plus shipping for pistons and rings. Add $125 for 2618 pistons. Not too shabby.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for the response. Do you still have the build sheet with the clearances you used? I am reading .004" PTB for 2618 pistons. What are the rings set to and how many miles have you put on it? Any oil consumption issues?

I don't, machine shop (guy that does Roush-Yates stuff in NC) was instructed to set it up for 20psi on a turbo setup. I use 15cc diamond pistons with moly rings btw.(they recommended moly over steel for mostly street use) https://www.modmaxracing.com/product-p/dia30066.htm

Motor was built in November 2009. Was my daily for about 9 months na until I put together my first turbo kit. Then was my daily for another year or so with the turbo until becoming a weekend/summer car. Has about 40k miles, 5 or 6 dyno sessions with different turbo setups and probably 50+ track passes on the motor since being built. Doesn't consume any oil or have any blowby issues (I run an open breather setup). Also have never experienced any piston slap noise you can supposedly get on a cold start, even in the winter and the car is not garage kept (Its stock bore, stock crank with manley h-beams).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back