5.0 guys? CAI or no CAI?

HEMI LOL

The Feast and The Famine
Reaction score
so I've been reading up on coyotes and have found that a CAI is not really needed? tried a search, but couldn't get a definitive answer.

I've seen some AED cars make 420whp with a tune and OR mid pipe.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No cai. The stock airbox is good, just get a good drop in air filter. I run a AEM dryflow myself.

2012yote

forum member
Reaction score
Stock box with the aftermarket filter doesn't come close to the sound of an aftermarket intake.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Yeah, I just did it for looks. The CAI is the new strut tower bar, so I got the prettiest :oops: one...Steeda IMO.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting good deals on the AEM dryflow filter and what size are you ordering. LOL

Last edited:

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Drop in K&N with the FRPP tune here. Ran 114 in the 1/4 pedaling it through third. I doubt a CAI would have done any better. I probably won't spend the money on one.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
You still need a tune even just changing the airfilter in the stock box.

Most power and performance gains people feel when they install a CAI is coming from the tune. A CAI will give you a few more hp on the very top end of the power curve, but most of the seat of the pants feel comes from a good tune.

Good tune and a drop in high flow K&N filter for the stock box and you're good to go.

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score

Most power and performance gains people feel when they install a CAI is coming from the tune. A CAI will give you a few more hp on the very top end of the power curve, but most of the seat of the pants feel comes from a good tune.

I may be wrong but there should be enough "adaptive learning" in the ECM to accomodate an air filter change in a stock airbox. Seems like the stock airbox would still be the restricting factor anyways.

r.barn

forum member
Reaction score
I may be wrong but there should be enough "adaptive learning" in the ECM to accomodate an air filter change in a stock airbox. Seems like the stock airbox would still be the restricting factor anyways.

Nope. Wont work. We tried just removing the stock air filter and closing the box back up when making "stock" baseline dyno pulls and the car would barely run at all. Throw the filter back in there and back to running fine. These new ECU's are very sensitive to changes.

Rumors of people melting pistons just from simple cat back exhaust swaps without updating the tune too.

and stock air box is slightly restrictive, but not until you're pushing over 6,000 rpms.

KenB

forum member
Reaction score
Nope. Wont work. We tried just removing the stock air filter and closing the box back up when making "stock" baseline dyno pulls and the car would barely run at all. Throw the filter back in there and back to running fine. These new ECU's are very sensitive to changes.

Rumors of people melting pistons just from simple cat back exhaust swaps without updating the tune too.

and stock air box is slightly restrictive, but not until you're pushing over 6,000 rpms.

Did you leave no air filter in it at all? Then that is why, that is not the same as putting a different filter in.

Try running any mass air car without a filter and get back to me.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score

Good tune and a drop in high flow K&N filter for the stock box and you're good to go.

Generally as long as you don't change the diameter of the MAF sensor housing the ECU will adjust correctly for a HF air filter or slightly larger TB. That's what the MAF sensor is designed to do.

Brenspeed did a comparison between a K and N and stock filter and found no difference. They did pick up 10hp with the addition of a cai:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...panel-vs-stock-filter-2011-mustang-5-0-a.html

A good tune is where you get the most performance.

Last edited:

DIB5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Look at the Airaid. You can run that with a stock tune. So I'm sure you can run a K&N drop in.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
^^ doesn't the Airaid use an adapter that does not change the MAF diameter and that is why you don't need the tune?

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
Did you leave no air filter in it at all? Then that is why, that is not the same as putting a different filter in.

Try running any mass air car without a filter and get back to me.

Am I correct regarding the adaptive learning with merely a better flowing air filter in the stock box? No tune required correct??

EDIT: Nevermind. The results in the thread show I wouldn't tune the car with a stock airbox and just a filter change

Last edited:

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
I'm running just a new tune on my 2012 5.0, stock air box.

The CAI's do very little, as there are guys running 10.90s on the stock box. Basic NA mods for power for the 11-13, really is just an offroad mid pipe and a tune. You may see a few horsepower on the dyno but thats about it from a CAI.

Unless you want sound and looks or are running low 11's/high 10s, put your money elsewhere like in a mid pipe or a set of headers.

Last edited:
Back