5.0 manual, E85, BOSS intake, and small dry nitrous shot??

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Does the wet kit require a tune? I was told it didn't. It is tuned right now.
Nitrous kits I have run before didnt require a tune for 75-100 wet shot, anything above that they did. I read the NX plate instructions yesterday, they said THIS kit doesn't require a tune up to the 100 wet shot since it is for this motor. However Im sure a dyno tune for it, wouldnt hurt since there are lots of variables. I wont be getting a tune for it since I run E85, the combustion temp is around 500 degrees cooler then gasoline. I will have the A/F's checked on the dyno when the nitrous is sprayed though and make sure its ok.

N20JUNKY

forum member
Reaction score
We have the NX kit on ours and on a 150 shot we checked the af and it was alittle rich. I would get the af checked and tune accordingly

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
we had our plate kit on a customer car and run 150 on a boss intake and it worked great. it was pulled to 7000. It made 553/576. i would def do a window switch and some good non projected tip plugs like the brisk.

I have a boss intake manifold on my desk now that we are about to do a hidden/under manifold direct port on. Im hoping to do a thread about the build soon.

If you have any questions fell free to call up or message us we would be glad to help no matter what system you choose.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
we had our plate kit on a customer car and run 150 on a boss intake and it worked great. it was pulled to 7000. It made 553/576. i would def do a window switch and some good non projected tip plugs like the brisk.

I have a boss intake manifold on my desk now that we are about to do a hidden/under manifold direct port on. Im hoping to do a thread about the build soon.

If you have any questions fell free to call up or message us we would be glad to help no matter what system you choose.

OK so just because I'm curious, do I REALLY need cooler plugs with the 100 shot wet kit? Keep in mind I'm running E85 which burns cooler then gasoline.

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score
Really it's a safety factor. You might get away with it but projected tip don't dissipate the heat well. That's why we highly recommend people to get non projected tip plugs like the brisk. Melting off and taking out a piston would not be good. You just got to think 100 dollars for plugs is always cheaper than a 8000 motor.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Good point lol...can you shoot me a part number for those plugs by chance?

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score

1. Can you post the part number of the plugs? Are they going to give up power when not using Nos?
2. Is 7000 the safe rpm limit with Nos on these motors? I have a Boss intake and Zex Nos kit sitting in the garage for my 2012. I will have the rev limit raised for the intake of course. I also have a window switch for the Zex kit. My plan is to run a 75hp shot so that I can run pretty much a regular tune with it. I may later run a larger shot and have another tune made for it, but in the short term I want a tune that doesn't give up much (or anything) when I am not using the Zex kit.

I will be calling for some parts to complete my Nos setup. Thanks for your help.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
1. Can you post the part number of the plugs? Are they going to give up power when not using Nos?
2. Is 7000 the safe rpm limit with Nos on these motors? I have a Boss intake and Zex Nos kit sitting in the garage for my 2012. I will have the rev limit raised for the intake of course. I also have a window switch for the Zex kit. My plan is to run a 75hp shot so that I can run pretty much a regular tune with it. I may later run a larger shot and have another tune made for it, but in the short term I want a tune that doesn't give up much (or anything) when I am not using the Zex kit.

I will be calling for some parts to complete my Nos setup. Thanks for your help.

Seems like the Boss intake is pointless if your running nitrous. The whole point of having this intake was to rev high, Since I cant rev high w/ the nitrous, I might as well pull the Boss intake off, stick my stocker back on and sell the Boss intake. Until someone tells me that they are using the Boss intake for its intended purpose (reving to 7500-7700 rpm's) AND spraying 75-100 wet shot of nitrous, then there is no point to having the Boss intake... thats about the conclusion I come up with, and I will probably pull mine off and put it up for sale.

onebadgsx

Reaction score
thats what i did, i tried running n2o up to 7400 and shifting at 7600 but it didnt want to shift that high on n20. so mine boss came off

Neal@

forum member
Reaction score

1. Ok I posted some information in our vendor section about the plug number recommended for the 5.0 Coyote motor. The link is below.

Coyote Nitrous Plugs

2. Limit to what is safe can be a hard question to answer. What I would recommend is a dyno pull to see where the intake stops making power. Then pull with the nitrous to see where the power falls off on the top end. If the car is not making power past 7000 then there is no reason to pull past that. If its making power with a safe A/F past 7000 then by all means go for it. You would want to watch a/f and know the limit of the bottom end on a Coyote. Catch my idea I am getting at???

Always a good tune is something you want to do. Nitrous is a power adder and should be treated accordingly. The more you put at the motor the more need of an actual dyno tune you are going to need. Another good thing you can do with a dyno tune is have a great N/A tune with a awesome nitrous tune.

Another thing i would recommend is that you set your window switch a couple of hundred of rpm off from your red line/fuel cut. if its 7000 rpm set your window switch at 6700 deactivation. This is a safety recommendation that we have for our customers.

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score
1. Ok I posted some information in our vendor section about the plug number recommended for the 5.0 Coyote motor. The link is below.

Coyote Nitrous Plugs

2. Limit to what is safe can be a hard question to answer. What I would recommend is a dyno pull to see where the intake stops making power. Then pull with the nitrous to see where the power falls off on the top end. If the car is not making power past 7000 then there is no reason to pull past that. If its making power with a safe A/F past 7000 then by all means go for it. You would want to watch a/f and know the limit of the bottom end on a Coyote. Catch my idea I am getting at???

Always a good tune is something you want to do. Nitrous is a power adder and should be treated accordingly. The more you put at the motor the more need of an actual dyno tune you are going to need. Another good thing you can do with a dyno tune is have a great N/A tune with a awesome nitrous tune.

Another thing i would recommend is that you set your window switch a couple of hundred of rpm off from your red line/fuel cut. if its 7000 rpm set your window switch at 6700 deactivation. This is a safety recommendation that we have for our customers.

Thanks for the detailed response. As far as the nitrous power falling off on the top end, is the fix a larger shot but with a progressive controller to limit the flow in the mid range?

Your recommendations on getting good dyno tunes makes perfect sense. In addition to protecting the motor, seeing the power curve is going to tell whether the combination is running out of steam, your effective rpm range, etc.

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score
thats what i did, i tried running n2o up to 7400 and shifting at 7600 but it didnt want to shift that high on n20. so mine boss came off

Sounds like a transmission, shifter, or clutch issue doesn't it?

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like the Boss intake is pointless if your running nitrous. The whole point of having this intake was to rev high, Since I cant rev high w/ the nitrous, I might as well pull the Boss intake off, stick my stocker back on and sell the Boss intake. Until someone tells me that they are using the Boss intake for its intended purpose (reving to 7500-7700 rpm's) AND spraying 75-100 wet shot of nitrous, then there is no point to having the Boss intake... thats about the conclusion I come up with, and I will probably pull mine off and put it up for sale.

Well that stinks... I have picked up all my parts second hand, so I don't have that much invested yet. Too bad the cost of failure might be a blown engine. Do you have any solid references on the cylinder pressure issue at high rpm's?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Sounds like a transmission, shifter, or clutch issue doesn't it?

I agree, because right now, Im shifting at 7600rpm's w/ no issues at all. however maybe the added torque from the nitrous might be making it hard to shift at those high rpm's??

RSKtakR

Reaction score
Well that stinks... I have picked up all my parts second hand, so I don't have that much invested yet. Too bad the cost of failure might be a blown engine. Do you have any solid references on the cylinder pressure issue at high rpm's?

I know right? I also bought all my parts used and everything is all-ready installed minus the nitrous kit that is getting installed tomorrow. I think Im just going to wait until the car is on the dyno, see where the Boss intake falls off at (rpm wise) and that is where I will shift at since there is no point to reving any higher if its not making any power past that certain point. I have NO solid references on cylinder pressure's at those high rpm's. I started this thread to hopefully get that info from some credible source, but no one really knows for sure yet it doesnt seem. I called American Muscle and asked them but they were all secretive about it for some reason.. thier Grabber Blue auto car has a wet 100 shot on it w/ the Boss intake and run high 10's. I just want to know the rpm they have thier trans shifting at w/ that nitrous shot and that intake manifold. You would think it would be pretty easy to get a straight answer from someone there.

hightechrdn

forum member
Reaction score
I know right? I also bought all my parts used and everything is all-ready installed minus the nitrous kit that is getting installed tomorrow. I think Im just going to wait until the car is on the dyno, see where the Boss intake falls off at (rpm wise) and that is where I will shift at since there is no point to reving any higher if its not making any power past that certain point. I have NO solid references on cylinder pressure's at those high rpm's. I started this thread to hopefully get that info from some credible source, but no one really knows for sure yet it doesnt seem. I called American Muscle and asked them but they were all secretive about it for some reason.. thier Grabber Blue auto car has a wet 100 shot on it w/ the Boss intake and run high 10's. I just want to know the rpm they have thier trans shifting at w/ that nitrous shot and that intake manifold. You would think it would be pretty easy to get a straight answer from someone there.

Post up your results. I am a couple of months from really having time to work through this with my car. Good luck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back