5.0 stroker or motor swap

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm kinda in a dilemma on what to do but i know which one im leaning towards bc of the cost and the NA power I been seeing. I want to know the opinions of ppl that done motor swap to coyote and the ppl that have done the 5.0 stroker kit. Bc I do have questions about both of them to help figure out which one I am wanting to do. I'm leaning towards the stroker kit and upgrading from there. Thanks for the help in advance

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
opinions on part choices are not tech on this board.

moved to chat

for a 3V most cost effective power gains are blower, 8psi, ease 400+ whp

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A stroker kit has not shown its self to be worth the money, IMO, when it comes to a modular engine.

The 5.0 DOHC swap is expensive. Awesome, but expensive.

Do you have a power goal and a budget? Are they realistic?

hamish

forum member
Reaction score
5.0 strokers used to be pretty good value. I mean if your going to put in new piston and rods you shouldn't see much if any cost difference between std. 4.6l and 5.0+l
Cost of crank will obviously be the difference. Don't know what they go for now. Na probably not worth it.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm only considering a stroker because I'll have the engine apart again anyway. These cars really need FI.

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Yes my power goal is to make an reliable 550rwhp with FI and my budget is around 6k-7k and im would be adding new piston and rods i already found a set that i like. And I was kinda thinking about getting the DOB set with that and a few supporting mods to go with it like fuel pump, intercooler, etc. But haven't heard to much about the stroker kit. I had a friend who I think did what was a stroker kit and he was making around 425hp NA. I'm not sure what else he did to it to make that much. And also I looked up the coyote swap and geez that thing is expensive to do bc I wouldn't have the time to do it myself and would be paying my reliable shop to install it for me.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are thinking about a DOB setup, you can talk to the owner directly right here on S197forum. He seems like a 100% no BS guy. I doubt he would steer you wrong. His tech articles are fantastic and easy to follow.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Plus if you're looking at the DOB set up you really don't need the stroker. The PD blower will make a good amount of low end torque.

And I'm a guy that goes by the "no replacement for displacement" mantra.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Yes I'm about to see if I can talk with Jason soon. Lol and ya I read all the articles on the site like the specs for everything and the FAQ's. I be on their website frequently. But ya that is kinda true as well that honestly I could just get upgraded rods and piston and the gt450 kit and then supporting mods. I just know ppl that made big power on stroker kits and big bore kits NA. But honestly I want to get done reliable power as well and that's kinda where DOB comes into play.

Yes that is true and that's what i was going to go with. I was kinda thinking about that Eaton TVS blower on it. A little bit more then the stock blower that comes with the gt450 kit

Last edited by a moderator:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
For your power to dollar ratio, if there is such a thing lol, you can't go wrong with adding some boost to your 3v, then as mentioned above it really doesn't cost any more to go stroker vs. stock so you might as well get the stroker kit and extra displacement, especially if you're going to build a forged SB anyway. I would vote for stroker no matter if you stay NA or go with some boost, there's no reason not to with a 3v at the power level goal your trying to reach. I looked at swapping to a coyote several times but the expense completely offsets the advantages every time for me.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have decided I will swap to a 5.0 after the 3rd event like this:

5ygOFTr.jpg

BW8Pwme.jpg

P7rrqLP.png

Until then it's 3v forever, baby! Actually I'll probably put a stock engine in the car, sell it, and buy a catfish camaro or something. :( :( :(

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
For your power to dollar ratio, if there is such a thing lol, you can't go wrong with adding some boost to your 3v, then as mentioned above it really doesn't cost any more to go stroker vs. stock so you might as well get the stroker kit and extra displacement, especially if you're going to build a forged SB anyway. I would vote for stroker no matter if you stay NA or go with some boost, there's no reason not to with a 3v at the power level goal your trying to reach. I looked at swapping to a coyote several times but the expense completely offsets the advantages every time for me.

Yes that is true and honestly the same thing I was thinking bc you can't go wrong with extra support and extra power lol. It will be nice indeed and ya looking at that swap geez I just looked at the engine and seen prices and I was like naw that is way too much out of my budget. But you can do that and still have more power them the 5.0 swap I think in my opinion

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
P7rrqLP.png

Until then it's 3v forever, baby! Actually I'll probably put a stock engine in the car, sell it, and buy a catfish camaro or something. :( :( :(

These look familiar...cuz they mine!!...I am developing a growing distaste for 3v engines. Thinking about selling my roller and going a different direction too. Fuck this shit man.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I have decided I will swap to a 5.0 after the 3rd event like this:

5ygOFTr.jpg

BW8Pwme.jpg

P7rrqLP.png

How much hRPM are you turning and what all is done to the engine, there has to be context here.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked photos from 2 or 3 of the 50 odd flaky ass 3v failures that have popped up on this board. There is a great "trail of tears" story, what was the guys name... had a Roush car, has been through 3-4 engine builds, probably $100,000 into a 3v. AFAIK is running now burning slightly more oil than a perkins industrial diesel.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I just picked photos from 2 or 3 of the 50 odd flaky ass 3v failures that have popped up on this board. There is a great "trail of tears" story, what was the guys name... had a Roush car, has been through 3-4 engine builds, probably $100,000 into a 3v. AFAIK is running now burning slightly more oil than a perkins industrial diesel.

That's gerald..aka.. "autoXracer". Yeah, requires oil every time he goes to corner store. He coulda bought 2 x brand new 13/14 GT-500's. What happened? Did he rebuild it..again ?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
:( I don't see Gerald around any more. I think he's just living with the consumption. It's crummy because with boost, you don't want too much mixture contamination.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
:( I don't see Gerald around any more. I think he's just living with the consumption. It's crummy because with boost, you don't want too much mixture contamination.

I was wondering what happened with Gerald, haven't heard from him in probably well over a year, maybe two even. Wasn't his most recent issue related to him gaping the plugs wrong somehow? Sorry to thread jack..

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I was wondering what happened with Gerald, haven't heard from him in probably well over a year, maybe two even. Wasn't his most recent issue related to him gaping the plugs wrong somehow? Sorry to thread jack..

He re-gapped the plugs several times... as the boost went up, up, up. Finally, one of the tips of one plug busted off, and somehow got sucked into the blower assy, via the intake of the next in line cylinder, trashing the (brand new) Roush 2.3 tvs rotors. He sends the blower to steigy, who does a superb job rebuilding it. But then gerald also gets talking into adding the steigy... 'venom cooler'..which really isn't required... and uses the hot coolant from the IC /HE loop, to 'cool' the blower snout. I think he also had the dual fead setup that roush offered, with a 6 rib normal fead, and a 8 rib just for the blower.

Then he gets talked into 'porting' the brand new roush blower... then the gong show started..again. The oem roush blower has a defined, square edged 90 deg lip on the blower output casing..... which steigy promptly rounded off. Where the blower output casing converges into a V, roush had this real small tit sticking out. Steigy ground that right off too.

End result was the.. 'ported blower' had LESS boost..and that with using a smaller pulley to boot ! With oem bigger pulley setup, the boost was way down with the steigy butchered porting job. The casing was entirely wrecked, and required replacing.

Apparently his builder used the wrong top rings..which leaked like a sieve, yet no oil to be found in the IC, nor the exhaust, it just vanished. On his 1st rebuild, the JDM tune wouldn't even get the eng started. Lito got it running eventually. Then the cylinders all got washed down, and cross hatch pattern vanished from using the FRPP 80 lb injectors... which per lito are single spray and not dual spray. He carries spare eng oil in the trunk at all times. Then his BMR K frame sheared off. Then his rear drag tires trashed the pass side wheel well, front side. The axle was not square to begin with !

Lost track of his exploits after that. Shame really, it was a huge effort, and several re builds. We added it all up, and he could have easily bought 2 x brand new 2013/2014 GT-500's.

Last edited:

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
He re-gapped the plugs several times... as the boost went up, up, up. Finally, one of the tips of one plug busted off, and somehow got sucked into the blower assy, via the intake of the next in line cylinder, trashing the (brand new) Roush 2.3 tvs rotors. He sends the blower to steigy, who does a superb job rebuilding it. But then gerald also gets talking into adding the steigy... 'venom cooler'..which really isn't required... and uses the hot coolant from the IC /HE loop, to 'cool' the blower snout. I think he also had the dual fead setup that roush offered, with a 6 rib normal fead, and a 8 rib just for the blower.

Then he gets talked into 'porting' the brand new roush blower... then the gong show started..again. The oem roush blower has a defined, square edged 90 deg lip on the blower output casing..... which steigy promptly rounded off. Where the blower output casing converges into a V, roush had this real small tit sticking out. Steigy ground that right off too.

End result was the.. 'ported blower' had LESS boost..and that with using a smaller pulley to boot ! With oem bigger pulley setup, the boost was way down with the steigy butchered porting job. The casing was entirely wrecked, and required replacing.

Apparently his builder used the wrong top rings..which leaked like a sieve, yet no oil to be found in the IC, nor the exhaust, it just vanished. On his 1st rebuild, the JDM tune wouldn't even get the eng started. Lito got it running eventually. Then the cylinders all got washed down, and cross hatch pattern vanished from using the FRPP 80 lb injectors... which per lito are single spray and not dual spray. He carries spare eng oil in the trunk at all times. Then his BMR K frame sheared off. Then his rear drag tires trashed the pass side wheel well, front side. The axle was not square to begin with !

Lost track of his exploits after that. Shame really, it was a huge effort, and several re builds. We added it all up, and he could have easily bought 2 x brand new 2013/2014 GT-500's.

Now that you mentioned it I remember reading most of that in his thread, guy took a beating for sure. More than enough BS to discourage most people. IIRC he was also talking about maybe getting rid of the Mustang and getting a vette instead? In any case I haven't seen him posting anything on the forum for the past year or two.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back