5R55S - Input Shaft Failure = Trans Replacement?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I snapped my input shaft last night on my '05 GT with setup in signature. I normally manually downshift it before stomping on it, but with a buddy in the car I stomped it in 5th to show him how slow the 5R55S normally downshifts...excepts this time it didn't downshift slow, it ripped into 2nd, started tearing off, then went 'BANG!' and stopped powering the wheels completely. Had to have it towed home. The car/transmission doesn't react at all when shifted between P-R-N-D-ect and while the engine sounds fine, the car won't move at all. It acts like it's in neutral all the time.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like I snapped the stock input shaft.

I plan on tearing the trans out this weekend and inspecting things.

From what I've been reading, a failed input shaft on the 5R55S almost always takes the torque converter with it. Does it normally cause 'general' transmission problems as well - meaning, can I simply replace the input shaft and torque converter and continue using the rest of my factory transmission? Or, should I replace the entire unit?

So far, no signs of metal shavings or flakes in the fluid.

Any feedback is much appreciated (so I can kind of get an idea of what I've got ahead of me). As always thanks in advance.

8306gt

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I snapped my input shaft last night on my '05 GT with setup in signature. I normally manually downshift it before stomping on it, but with a buddy in the car I stomped it in 5th to show him how slow the 5R55S normally downshifts...excepts this time it didn't downshift slow, it ripped into 2nd, started tearing off, then went 'BANG!' and stopped powering the wheels completely. Had to have it towed home. The car/transmission doesn't react at all when shifted between P-R-N-D-ect and while the engine sounds fine, the car won't move at all. It acts like it's in neutral all the time.

From what I've been reading, it sounds like I snapped the stock input shaft.

I plan on tearing the trans out this weekend and inspecting things.

From what I've been reading, a failed input shaft on the 5R55S almost always takes the torque converter with it. Does it normally cause 'general' transmission problems as well - meaning, can I simply replace the input shaft and torque converter and continue using the rest of my factory transmission? Or, should I replace the entire unit?

So far, no signs of metal shavings or flakes in the fluid.

Any feedback is much appreciated (so I can kind of get an idea of what I've got ahead of me). As always thanks in advance.

When I broke the TCI billet input shaft in mine a portion of it was stuck inside my Circle D convertor, however it did not hurt the convertor, just had to have it cut open to remove the
piece. The rest of the shaft was stuck inside transmission but it didn't end up do any additional damage.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I've seen several input shafts break on the 5R55S transmission in our S197s - both stock and TCI. Each failure is different and the contingent damages are different. Difficult to say until you get the transmission out and investigate the extent of the damage.

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
My biggest fear with my 5r55s.. I know it'll blow before the motor quits on me.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Hatchman

Stangless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the input shaft, but you are just going to have to pull it and assess the damage. Could be a clean break with no other damage, or it could be massive carnage.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed tight until I get the trans out of the car. I'm waiting on some giant jack stands I ordered to show up before I really tear into it.

Speaking of - any tips or tricks for removing, inspecting, and re-installing the 5R55S? From changing the fluid before it appears to be pretty straight forward, but if there's anything special/weird I'd love to know beforehand.

Thanks again!

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed tight until I get the trans out of the car. I'm waiting on some giant jack stands I ordered to show up before I really tear into it.

Speaking of - any tips or tricks for removing, inspecting, and re-installing the 5R55S? From changing the fluid before it appears to be pretty straight forward, but if there's anything special/weird I'd love to know beforehand.

Thanks again!

How did you change the tranny fluid, it's a pressurized system right? What do you have to do?

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
How did you change the tranny fluid, it's a pressurized system right? What do you have to do?

It's really simple - do a search for it and the procedure is described in detail on multiple Mustang sites.

Speaking of searching, I found a great link on here describing trans removal. This forum is killer.

stang67

forum member
Reaction score
If the pa pan is anything like my c4 one then I wouldn't buy it cause it always leaked

chaoscentral

forum member
Reaction score
I had this happen to me back in May, driving along on the highway downshit hear a bang and no more power. My input shaft grenaded taking the trans fluid pump with it and the torque converter.

Ended up replacing it with a new transmission and stall with some strenghtened components. Trans builder also is providing a 3 yr warranty and he knows the car is blown and is raced lol.

AlloyGT

Lurker
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Thanks again!

I'd say buy the little plastic clip for the shift cable ahead of time. Chances are you WILL break it, and even if you don't, you're only out like 12 bucks. Better than breaking it, and having to stop to go get or order one.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks - do you happen to have a part number or know where to get it from?

HIVOLTJ

Reaction score
Damn that sucks, I thought the autos were pretty stout in these cars, maybe only at stock power levels? The one in my wife's GT is the first automatic I've ever liked other than my Lightning with a shift kit, converter and tune.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
i'd say buy the little plastic clip for the shift cable ahead of time. Chances are you will break it, and even if you don't, you're only out like 12 bucks. Better than breaking it, and having to stop to go get or order one.

thanks - do you happen to have a part number or know where to get it from?

4c3z-7h181-aa

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
^killer, thanks man!

Been busy as hell this week, but at this point I'm planning on buying a PI Stallion converter at ~3200 RPM and a Level 10 input shaft. When I pull the trans, I'll decide on whether or not more needs replaced.

Any tips on inspecting the pump for damage? Will it be pretty obvious?

Not going to lie - I'm nearly transmission illiterate, and while I've been trying to learn as much as I can over the past few days, a lot of it is still way over my head.

Thanks again to everyone who's posted - this thread (and the tons of posts I've found using 'Search' on this forum) have been very valuable to me.

Kraftsman

forum member
Reaction score
I've never broke an input shaft but i twisted two of them, a stocker and tci. I put a level 10 shaft in and havent had a problem yet. I did however blow the rear hub on the output shaft into pieces two years ago and it did the same thing you described earlier. I hit second gear at the track and heard BOOM. I pulled off to the side, put it in park and my speedo was still coming down from 60mph!! When you get the level 10 input shaft it will be a very tight fit unlike the tci. Nothing a little "polishing" didnt take care of though.

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
So the TCI input shaft actually fits easier then the Level 10? I expected the opposite.

My speedometer was still working (I think) after the failure - I think I recall hitting the gas and it not changing, and slowly dropping as I drifted down in speed. I'm hoping that indicates I didn't have the same issue as you. LOL

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back