6 speed swap

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
I smoked my Spec3+ and am thinking about a 6060 swap since I have to change clutch. What do you think? 800 rwhp 26x11.50 slicks and 410's

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Im assuming you race the car with those pwoer numbers correct?

7000 miles, 3 clutches, 2 synchros and a shitload of bushings with only 10 track passes, all with the 6060. IMO its the wrong trans to race with if you have high power levels and expect it to last

Setup 1 - 6060, GT500 OEM clutch - 3000 miles and about 3 or 4 track passes before the clutch discs warped, not allowing them to disengage. Rev match to shift the entire 70+ miles home. Not fun

At this point i say lets bulletproof the clutch. So ...

Setup 2 - 6060 and Spec Supertwin P trim good for 1400 ft/lbs of torque. This clutch is extremely easy to drive, way easier than my 3+ i had with the stock trans. 4000 miles and about 4-5 track passes and i melted the clutch material to the flywheel, and to the floater plate, ON BOTH SIDES. I also lost the 4th gear synchro and oddly enough the reverse synchro on the same run the clutch melted. I shouldnt even say run as it all happened in the burnout box

Mind you i was running at the time with less than 600rwhp, closer to 550 IIRC.

I put in a spec 5 single disc and that was even easier to drive than the twin disc, but i wasnt taking any more chances. I puit in a 4R70w and said to hell with clutches.

Its just my experience mind you but the 6060 is NOT a racing transmission. IMO wait for the s197 Specific T56 magnum (rated 700ftlbs of torque) coming out in late 2010, go with a transzilla 6060 (rated for 1200ft lbs of torque) or go with an auto. these cars are just too damned heavy for manual trans and clutches to last very long

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I drive the car mostly on the street and on the track maybe twice a month, I want to get as close as I can to the best of both worlds for what is available.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i should add the spec supertwin is a great street clutch, but dont race with it. There is a reason why most twin disc clutches out there, if not all, are labeled as street clutches, not race clutches

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
Thanks man, I just guess I am going to live and learn the hard way. I really appreciate your knowledge and experience!

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
i should add the spec supertwin is a great street clutch, but dont race with it. There is a reason why most twin disc clutches out there, if not all, are labeled as street clutches, not race clutches

What would you reccomend?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
auto. manual valve body auto. no fighting the launches of the car, no worrying about anything. takes everything you throw at it and asks for more. no clutches to melt, no missedshifts, ect. And its manual valve body so you still shift it, just no clutch

if your 100% deadset on a manual, as i said before wait for the T56 magnum S197 specific trans or get the tranzilla from Rockland Standard Gear

sc281

5.3 big bore block
Reaction score
auto. manual valve body auto. no fighting the launches of the car, no worrying about anything. takes everything you throw at it and asks for more. no clutches to m Lelt, no missedshifts, ect. And its manual valve body so you still shift it, just no clutch

if your 100% deadset on a manual, as i said before wait for the T56 magnum S197 specific trans or get the tranzilla from Rockland Standard Gear
Thanks again but it is a short racing season here and I am not missing it. LOL I thank you again for the info!

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I want to get as close as I can to the best of both worlds for what is available.

auto. manual valve body auto. no fighting the launches of the car, no worrying about anything. takes everything you throw at it and asks for more. no clutches to melt, no missedshifts, ect. And its manual valve body so you still shift it, just no clutch
Yep, best of both worlds... auto with a manual valve body.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back