Optima Yellow Top battery
Custom rad cover with midwest extensions
sequential signals
Clear covers with stealth bulbs
MAFia
Custom intake
custom meter
Predator with race and street tunes

Lot's of other stuff - I'll release full details too interested parties.

Car makes 686 rwhp on break in conservative 18 psi tune. This is with a 20-22% loss through the trans. More importantly the car ran a 6.43 @ 109 on the break in 18 psi tune. Easily see deep 9's with 24-26 psi and race tune.

The car is streetable and driven on the street.

All serious inquiries - PM me.

$38,000 - Firm

Nothing wrong with the car and it is in 100% pristine condition. I'm simply done dealing with vendors and builds on this platform and moving to something else.

Mark

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Mark say it aint so!!!

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you know guys are going to ask, why...so will you let us know?

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you know guys are going to ask, why...so will you let us know?

If you followed Mark over the last few years.... you would NOT have to ask. Just let it go.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I said,

Nothing wrong with the car and it is in 100% pristine condition. I'm simply done dealing with vendors and builds on this platform and moving to something else.

Having a car where there is only 1 shop within 1000 miles who can work on it and being at their mercy is enough for me to seek to enjoy the hobby with a car that can be readily and accessibly serviced/maintained from numerous avenues - this is just more appealing to me.

This is not a bash against Adam or ST Motorsports. They do the best they can with what they have to work with as a business. ST has been very good to me and my car within their limits.

It's just for the amount of money I put into drag racing, I require more dedicated service than a single small shop is able to provide. I would not take or trust an S197 to anyone else and for this car (S197's), you can not get better than Adam or ST anywhere on the West coast. IMO. They do an outstanding job, treat their customers as friends, and my hats off to them for their relationship with their customers.

But, the reality is I spend tens of thousands of dollars a year in the drag racing hobby and I just need more avenues at my disposal for the amount of money I am spending. For this reason, I just don't want to continue my hobby with an S197 anymore.

That is all. There is no drama or issue to discuss. It is what it is and feel free to add everything up and this is an outstanding offer for someone looking for a built S197.

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you followed Mark over the last few years.... you would NOT have to ask. Just let it go.

LOL - yep I change my mind like shirts...:samuri:

Seriously, it's not about anything being 'wrong' or 'bad'. It's about 38K for a fully built S197. It's a good deal for someone and all serious inquiries should PM me.

Mark

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I salute you Mark for your S197 run! It is/was like no other. I was simply spellbound watching those early vids when you ran the stock block. Everything after that went down hill in my view. I wish you well. You put an outstanding deal on the table. Someone gets a load for a little.

:allhail:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I salute you Mark for your S197 run! It is/was like no other. I was simply spellbound watching those early vids when you ran the stock block. Everything after that went down hill in my view. I wish you well. You put an outstanding deal on the table. Someone gets a load for a little.

:allhail:

Thanks Gig! It has been a pleasure being part of the forum community and I'm not going anywhere. If this car sells, I am buying a GT500 with the cash but leaving it stock (well, maybe a tune...lol)

I agree with your assessment. I sincerely miss the days of running the car every week and shooting for low 12's and then 11's on the stock motor. The stock motor with the vortech were by far the most enjoyable times I had in the car and losing a belt or fouling a plug was about the worst happenstance of the evening...:clap:

I truly miss those days with the car and the nightmares only began when I started to 'build' it. However, the car is strong now and runs good. It is steal for someone looking to build up this kind of car. Just, for me personally, it has lost it's luster and 'fun factor' for me and if a hobby ain't fun, then there's really no need to persue it IMO.

Buckman

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can honestly see how the hobby "jumps the shark" from being fun. That is the main goal and whatever you need to do to get back to the roots and have fun is encouraged.
Sometimes I look back at the days of running a simple turbo on a lil' 4.0 into the high 11's as being the best days with no stress.
These builds, when on the cutting edge, really take a toll on your patience, your wallet and your family with how involved they are and how much stress they put upon you.
That is a great deal for such a beast of a car, good luck with it.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Hmmmm... I've been thinking about getting a "back up" car. lol And it's sonic blue, too. :thumb:

don_w

Reaction score
But, the reality is I spend tens of thousands of dollars a year in the drag racing hobby and I just need more avenues at my disposal for the amount of money I am spending. For this reason, I just don't want to continue my hobby with an S197 anymore.
If going fast with minimal cost is the objective, then the best way to go (and I hate to say it) is a dragster with a big block chevy in it. You could probably get a turnkey setup with a trailer for under 20K, easy.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
this makes me depressed.....

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
If going fast with minimal cost is the objective, then the best way to go (and I hate to say it) is a dragster with a big block chevy in it. You could probably get a turnkey setup with a trailer for under 20K, easy.
And it would be an old, outdated hardtail with a broke engine. Cheap dragsters are hard to find these days.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I hear ya, Don. But it's really not so much the money. Driving the car 2-3 months out of every 12 over the last 2 years is more a factor than the money. I was looking over the calendar and was shcoked to see I had the car in my possesion exactly 6 months out of the last 24 months...:shock:

Even now that it's about 'done' - I've just been so tainted by the downtime that I've lost interest in it and not really excited about it anymore. I have ADD as it is and just can't deal with a hobby I get to enjoy 2 weeks every 6 months...lol

I have the Nova my uncle gave me that none of you have ever even seen. About time to dust that thing off and bring it out - it's street legal & faster than all of us anyway...:piano:

Last edited:

don_w

Reaction score
Well, the lesson there for a lot of us is be careful what we wish for. Everything comes with a price, and it's not always measured in money. And I'm somewhat guilty of that myself.

Originally, I was only wanting an 11-sec daily driver. And I got there. But, it went afoul of the roll bar rule. So, I had to get that, because slowing the car down was driving me nuts. And now, since it's soooooo close to 10s, the need for speed is driving me to get there. I only hope that I'm not crossing over the gray area, and opening up pandoras box.

As I sit here right now, I have no desire to build my car into a 9-sec daily driver. I fully realize the exponential leap of effort (in so many ways) needed to legally cross over that 9.99 barrier. And I am consciously avoiding wanting to get close to 10.00, because I know the urge will be there. I have to keep reminding myself that I can live with mid to high 10s for another three years. Once I take my car off the street in 2011, then it will just be a weekend toy, and then I can do whatever I want (as long as I can afford it).

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good call Mark...if it's not fun anymore, then off to something else.

A lot of good insight in this thread so far. When I picked up my blower from Cali HP I mentioned about building the block down the road. He told me don't bother. That he had the most fun when the car was at 450ish driving it everyday. It's when he started pushing the envelope that he was listening for every squeak the car made and was always wondering when it would let go. That started taking the fun out of it. He mentioned he was too far into it now, as you all know how his build is going. Agree with you Don, push that envelope much further and there won't be turning back...

Fake_Snake

FAUX GT500
Reaction score
Good call Mark...if it's not fun anymore, then off to something else.

A lot of good insight in this thread so far. When I picked up my blower from Cali HP I mentioned about building the block down the road. He told me don't bother. That he had the most fun when the car was at 450ish driving it everyday. It's when he started pushing the envelope that he was listening for every squeak the car made and was always wondering when it would let go. That started taking the fun out of it. He mentioned he was too far into it now, as you all know how his build is going. Agree with you Don, push that envelope much further and there won't be turning back...

100% agreed

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
would you sell the Bogarts?

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You have almost completed the marathon.....just break through the ribbon and complete it Mark. Go ahead the finish line is right there in front of you:samuri:
Part it out:partyguy:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Bogarts are included with the car. I will not part it out.

I am selling the car but have decided to dial it in first and keep my commitments to the mags and manufacturers that are supporting the car.

The truth is the car is going to be worth a lot more money once I finish my commitments in a couple months. I haven't really talked about it cause I was waiting till the events actually took place but in light of the sale, it would be foolish for me to sell it right now.

I am going to be in a couple mags and the car will be dialed in over the next month and with Whipple's support, the car will be street driven to famoso and Firebird and put down an 8.xx pass to set the world S197 3V 4.6 street car record and then driven home. I am then going to put the car on ebay.

There's no doubt I will get more for the car on ebay once it's got mag covers and world record status. I've got a lot of time invested in the car so it's wise to try to get as much back out of it as possible.

So - Yes, it's still for sale but I will 'FINISH' it before it goes....:piano:

Lesson learned. I love going fast and building up cars- I will just never do it on a 'new platform' vehicle again. I really want a GT500 now that they are going for sticker and just conservatively push the factory set-up with some bolt-ons. Going to stick to old school for 'race' cars...:leghump:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back