A day at the races, a night at the opera

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Autobahn_map_zps4b08ffae.jpg

For the Midwest Region season finale, the NASA crew cooked up a doozie! The weekend started on Friday at noon, when Joe Sullivan (JSBumed here on the forums) and I rolled into the paddock with my #50 car, and a trailer full of consumables, for the penultimate round of the Endurance Series. This particular event would be the longest yet, scheduled for four and a half hours, starting at 5:00PM, and running into the night. Joe and I were joined by a motley collection of friends; Nathan Pitcher came in as a third driver, Randy Johnson and Ken Frey came out to help with refueling and support, and John Santiago (Philostang) signed up in the role of crew chief, hoping to drive some sense of direction and logic into this pickup group of people. Nathan, Randy and I all ran against each other in the same class in NASA Time Trials, frequently swapping track records and wins back and forth. Ken was one of my former instructors, and also was a great help in building my car into a competition-ready hooptie, and Joe is like a brother to me, so I felt I was in great company. On to the down-and-dirty. We did the usual race prep stuff (flush the brake fluid, top off all other fluids, load the cool-suit cooler, drink bottle, etc.), got the car through tech, then set up our pit stall, and at 4:20PM, sent Nathan out for the practice session on sticker Continental 275/35-18 rubber to get used to the car. The day was cooler, with bright sunshine, so essentially perfect weather for a Mustang, with great grip in the track, and making good power. The event didn’t start well for us, at all. First, the car wouldn’t start due to a battery failure (little tiny Braile battery to save weight), so we had to push-start. Then, the batteries in the radios came up lame. I had charged them for 24 hours, but for whatever reason, neither radio would power up, so we had no comms from driver to crew chief. We quickly improvised a set of signals and a pit board to cover while getting the radios back on charge, but that got me worried about what else would go wrong.

STRATEGY:

This would be a fuel-mileage race, without question. We had six cars start the E0 class, us, three American Iron-prepped S197 Mustangs, and two E46 BMW M3s. We were the entry with the lowest horsepower, so our strategy was to run full fuel-load stints, hoping for around 75 minutes each, plus a quick splash-and-go towards the end. We assumed that the night-time stints would be at a slower pace, with no lights at all (save pit lane) on the 3.56-mile 21-turn course, and based strictly on the horsepower and weight of the AI cars, we believed that we could run one less fuel stop than they did, worth around eight minutes, or two and a half to three laps. The question was whether their pace could put us more than three laps down. The BMWs were the wildcards, with unknown fuel consumption characteristics, unknown fuel-tank (or cell) capacity, and had the potential to simply bury us with those hyper-efficient I-6 engines. All we could do was run the best race we could, and let the chips fall.

THE RACE:
John, our crew chief, had an excellent strategy lined up for us. I would take the first stint, to establish pace, and (hopefully) get us in a solid position on track for the first fuel stop and driver change. Then Nathan would take over, running us through dusk and into the dark. Joe, who has a good amount of time in my car, would handle the anchor leg, and take it to the checker, if the car survived. As they say, plans NEVER survive contact with the enemy, and this was no different! After Nathan came in from practice, I hopped in the car and got all belted in, while John handled the data and video setup for the stint. After a quick check of tire pressures and lug torque, the field was off for the formation lap and the race start.

Based on a random pit-stall layout, I wound up starting roughly P9 (out of 22 starters), right behind a Daytona Prototype, and right ahead of one of the AI Mustangs, an E0 BMW M3, then another AI Mustang. It was a single-file start, and I was already strategizing, looking ahead and behind. Ahead I had the Daytona Prototype, then a Miata, then a Sports Racer, and I figured that the Miata would wind up getting pounced on pretty quickly by the field coming up, so I planned on sticking as close as possible to the DP, and defending the inside of the first turn, a 180* carousel. What I wanted was to get up to pace as quickly as possible, find some spacing, and then just dial into a solid, consistent lap time that didn’t overly punish the tires and brakes, and make maximum use of the fuel onboard. That went out the window as well!

The green flag flew, and I dropped the hammer, hoping to get a bit of an aero tow from the DP, who simply rocketed ahead. The M3 was having some issues, and the two AI Mustangs took no time at all getting side-by-side right behind me. Since racing door-to-door like that kills pace, I concentrated on running clean lines, and trying to get some space between us so that I could get pace established and drop into rhythm. By the end of the first lap, the DP was simply GONE, and the two Mustangs behind me got their duel sorted, and were coming up on me FAST. The first Mustang, driven by Paul Wood, managed to power alongside me at the exit of a corner, but with me still trying to find spacing, I wouldn’t let him have the position without a fight. Side-by-side we went, through three corners, and I was able to pull a little bit ahead at corner exit due to having the inside position, but the AI car’s superior power pulled him into a half-car lead in the next set of two sweepers, again with me on the inside. We swapped half-car leads like this for nearly a mile through ten corners! The racing was absolutely clean, nobody touched, and by the time we hit a big enough straight where his power became decisive, we had traffic stacked up behind us. OOPS!! Strategic mistake on my part, worrying about tactics… Not the last error of the day, either!

Paul Wood pulled away, and I got freight-trained by the second AI Mustang and the other M3 (the one with the bad start was nowhere to be seen). Crap! That puts me in P4 in class. Okay, nothing to it but to settle down and establish a pace. I had my spacing, but not where I wanted it… For another forty-five minutes I just kept knocking off the laps, in the high 2:47, low 2:48 range, flying by the Miatas, and getting run over by the DP and the Sports Racer, then 20 laps after the green flew, the car started to hiccough on left-hand corner-exits, and I knew my fuel load was about gone, so I signaled the crew that I was coming in by dropping the clutch and blipping the throttle three times (remember, radios were dead!), then going around one more time. This was NOWHERE NEAR the 75-minute hoped-for fuel window; hell, to me it felt like less than an hour! We were uncertain exactly how much fuel the car would take after a fuel run, so we were planning on a 14 gallon stop, and praying not to over-fill and spill, and take a 5-minute penalty plus a second trip through the pits.

I rolled into pit lane at a sedate 25mph (GOD THAT WAS SLOW!!!), found the pit stall, and bailed out of the car, with Nathan helping on the driver’s side, and John jumping inside the car on the passenger side. Nathan jumped in, and I assisted with getting the belts set up, hooking up the cool suit, and giving him a briefing on track conditions, then hopped the wall while Randy started to dump the second 5-gallon can of fuel. I asked John how we were doing and got an answer that absolutely rocked me. I was shocked. “P1,” he said, “two laps up.” I made him repeat that, not quite processing that info. After my stint sucked fuel like crazy, we were not only in first place, but up by two laps???? HOW???? I didn’t pass any in-class cars at all! It turns out we were killing them on fuel consumption. Immediately, I suggested not gambling on the extra fuel and going to a 10-gallon fill strategy to positively avoid penalty. Not being sure how Nathan would do for lap times, and knowing Joe would most likely be at least two seconds off my pace (at night, in the dark, with nothing but headlights to see the track by), I figured we had to protect the lead we had. John and Joe agreed, and after the second can of fuel, Nathan took off, minding the 25 MPH pit-road speed limit.

After a couple of laps, Nathan settled into a solid high 2:50 lap time, and we were ALL smiles in the pits. John had wandered up and down pit lane talking to the competition, and in one case, they admitted to planning on SIX fuel stops! We might actually have a chance to be on the podium for this thing!!! Nathan did a perfect job running a consistent pace and protecting the gear. 50 minutes later, he was coming in, and it was Joe’s turn. We refueled the car, and upon a quick walk-around, it was noticed that the left-front tire was, as expected, showing signs of serious shoulder wear.

After another flawless pit stop thanks to Randy and Ken, Joe headed out into the fading sun, catching a last few laps in daylight, then we were into the night. I did all sorts of productive things, like keeping an eye on the competition in the pit lane, and chatting with the crew about doing a tire change on the left-front after Joe’s stint, and then acted as ballast to prevent one of our folding chairs in pit lane from levitating. Hey, somebody’s got to do it. Oh, also making and eating a sandwich, a VERY critical task, which I’m proud to say I executed with perfection.

Slowly, one-by-one, the competition was dropping out of the event, with the sprint-race build mentality showing its weaknesses on the long hauls. It was neat to watch all the cars whizzing by with nothing to light the track but headlights. Joe was running a solid 2:51 pace, which considering it was solid dark by that time, was more than respectable! About 30 seconds after I sat down (I had visited the Little Racer’s Room) and popped the top on a Mountain Dew, Joe came trundling into the pits!! CRAP!!! Panic time, as I start pulling on my suit, radio earbuds, Nomex balaclava, gloves, helmet and HANS… Yeah, it takes more than a couple of seconds to suit up. Meanwhile, Nathan hopped the wall to help Joe get out of the car while I was fussing about getting dressed, so no time was lost there. I took a deep breath and hopped in while Randy and Ken finished fuelling the car, then it was time for the tire-change, while I finished getting belted in. Again, Nathan saved the day jumping in to start the process, while Joe gave me the briefing. According to Joe, “That was the most stupid and dangerous thing I’ve ever done in my life, and I loved every minute of it!” Hmmm…. Okay…. And my night vision sucks. Great… Roughly eleven minutes after entering pit lane (dropping to a four lap lead over the P2 AI Mustang), it was my turn to go out into the night, but this time with functioning radios and roughly 90 minutes to go!!! Immediately, I entered a COMPLETELY new world. We were running HID headlights in the stock buckets, with no auxiliary lighting whatsoever. Picking out my brake points and turn-in marks were no problem, but apex? Nope. Track-out? Not a prayer. I felt like I should have equipped the car with a white cane… After a dry-mouthed lap or two, though, I started to get back into my groove, and realized that no, the track had not actually changed configuration since the daylight stint. The apex was in the same place, and if you hit your turn-in and apex, you WILL, by definition, hit your track out point. I have a LOT of laps at that track, so I started to simply rely on muscle memory and instinct, and things smoothed out considerably.

I settled into a (not great but not horrible) 2:54 pace, seven seconds off my daylight time, but at least not driving backwards into the tire barriers. I was satisfied, if a bit nervous. Then the completely unexpected happened. I was on one of the long straights around 90-95MPH, when a grey blur flashed into the headlight beam roughly 150’ in front of the car. Uh-oh. THUD!!! Bump-bump… I pushed the radio button (thank GOD that was working!) and called in to John… “Hey, I’m coming in, I just hit a coyote…. I need somebody to check over the car.” “Uhhhh……Copy that,” was the response, and I ran the remaining 1.5 miles to pit-in hoping and praying that the furry woodland creature’s head hadn’t taken out the radiator, or done other damage. At 95mph, something 150’ in front of the car has already happened, there’s nothing you can really do about it… I pulled in, the crew took a quick look, and I went back out to finish my stint. A few laps later, though, it was obvious that I wasn’t in the groove any more, and started making mistakes, missing apex points, blowing brake zones, and I called in to get Nathan ready, I would be coming in. After a VERY quick pit stop (4:55 to dump 10 gallons of fuel and change drivers!), Nathan was off for the final stint, with 45 or so minutes to run. John was finishing up the fuel calculations and declared us good, based on Nathan’s previous pace of high 2:50s. Imagine our shock when the lap times STARTED at 2:51 and gradually trended DOWNWARD!!

Five minutes after Nathan left, the last remaining competing AI Mustang came into the pits with what appeared to be a mechanical issue. The car came to a stop, the driver climbed out, and not much else was happening… Joe wandered over and offered whatever help or parts we could offer, but it was for naught: terminal brake failure, with Baer 6-pot calipers, for which we had neither pads nor parts. They were done, at that time 4 laps down. It wasn’t until they congratulated us on our win that we realized that with their retirement, we were going to win our class! Nathan, meantime, kept dropping lap times lower and lower, eventually running faster IN THE DARK than he did on his daylight stint!!! I thought that was great! Finally, the white flag flew, and Nathan motored by, but the car didn’t sound exactly right… Hrm… Oh, well, whatever, we’ll figure it out. The checkers came out, and Nathan came around for the final time, coughing and sputtering into the braking zone past the checkers! HE’S OUT OF GAS!!! “Don’t worry,” said John, “the Mustang can make another lap, no problem!” Forever and a day later, he pulled onto pit lane, coughed, sputtered, and finally went silent, six pit stalls short of getting home. Five hours after we push-started the car, and four and a half hours of non-stop hard racing later, the event was over. 56 gallons of 93-octane fuel, nearly a full set of Hawk DTC-60 pads up front, and five Continental slicks later, we took the win, and P5 overall, behind a Sports Racer, a Daytona Prototype, and two Miatae. John Santiago: Perfect fuelling and driver stint strategy. Randy Johnson and Ken Frey: Flawless execution of the fuelling and tire change. Nathan and Joe: You guys just killed it out on track. Me? I figure my on-track game-hunting was divine intervention. It was God’s way of saying “Dave, put a Coyote in that Mustang!” 81 laps, and 288 miles in, though, the weekend was just getting started!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
thidH_zps9d724033.jpg

SATURDAY
Saturday morning at 7:15AM, I arrived in the paddock for the instructor’s meeting, to see if I would draw a student, and if so, what I had to work with. At the driver’s meeting, I met my student, an engineering student at SIU, who brought out a very nice street Miata, and revealed his eventual aspirations to run Spec Miata. Oh, boy…. A Miata? Just wonderful… In the meantime, there was the usual scramble in our paddock spot to get the car fueled, check pressures and torque, and top off any fluids. For the balance of the weekend, I was registered in STR-3, a class NOBODY was running in. This was the last pure Midwest event, and the penultimate event in the Midwest/Great-Lakes regions, and the points battles were heating up. The LAST thing I wanted to do was stick my nose into a heated situation, not being in the hunt myself; for me, the rest of the weekend was just for fun. On tap for the day would be practice, quals, and the race itself, PLUS quals and two races in the brand-new Matrix Challenge. More on that later! Just to add some complexity to the day, John (Philostang) needed to turn a few laps in Time Trial, and since his car was down, I offered him mine to use. It would be a busy day for the Elmhurst Auto Care #50 car!

I picked STR-3 to compete in primarily to avoid the points battles, but one side benefit was that it would run in the “Lightning” group, where Randy, our crew from yesterday had his PTB Subaru STI. He and I had been battling in TT, and now we could continue in the race groups! Epic fun! Much to my surprise, I found that to equalize car counts, STR was moved to the “Thunder” group. Oh, well. I suited up and went out for a session with my student, then ran from his car to mine (thanks for gridding it, Joe!!), rolled out practice, and made an astounding discovery: the car felt EXACTLY the same as it did yesterday! After two or three laps, I brought it in, trying to save what was left of the brakes and tires, and decided to put my last sticker Conti on the left-front for Joe in the Matrix qualifying session while I went out with my student, who was quite accomplished. I tweeked a line or two, and we started working on control techniques, shortening braking zones and smoothing out the wheel. Joe was out by the time I got back to the paddock, so I chatted with some friends while Joe got his time set for the Matrix race. Joe came back to the paddock, while I went back out with my student, then I hopped in to run my qualifying session Joe mentioned that I had a scrub again on the left-front, since the BRAND NEW sticker Conti apparently came in flat… Oh, well, we’ll deal with that later. Being a TT veteran, I pulled out of the grid, got my junk warm (spun the rears on corner exit, slid the fronts a bit on entry a few times during the double-yellow formation lap), then pounded out a couple of hot laps before the traffic got nuts. Perfect! Not the fastest laps I’ve ever turned, but running solo-in-class meant that I had no worries about grid position for the “normal” 35-minute sprint race. It would be what it would be.

The Matrix race is a new “product” being offered in Midwest and Great-Lakes, and is a hybrid between road-racing and drag racing. Your practice time sets your “dial-in,” and Race Control collects 5-8 cars with similar times into a group to race together. Rolling start, inverted grid (faster cars in-group start in the back, slower up front), and no passing or pulling out of line until past the start/finish line. There would be two Matrix races today, and Joe would take the first, since it conflicted badly with my student’s session. Joe may or may not chime in to give details on his race, but suffice it to say he started on pole of his group of eight cars (slowest dial-in time), and I do believe that he did finish second! OOPS!! He broke out! Adding in the time penalty for break-out, though, bumped him back to fourth. Since this is “just” a fun-race, with no contingencies or points on the line, it was all good.

After lunch, it was time for my sprint race! We dumped what we had left for fuel (gallon count for the weekend was now up to 81!!), and I took my assigned position on grid. The pace car pulled off, the grid marshal released the field, and off we went!! Purely due to the class I was running, an having NOTHING to do with lap times, I found myself on track right behind the Super Touring Vipers and Corvettes, and right in front of the American Iron Extreme field… This would be an interesting run into T1, that’s for sure! We formed up on the back straight, pulled around the last couple of corners side-by-side (I was inside, next to Chris Griswold’s multi-year AIX National Championship Mustang with a classified horsepower rating of 1,xxx), and when the green flew, I mashed the gas and pulled inside HARD, not to protect the inside line into T1, but to avoid getting run over by the AIX and AI field! I hugged the inside edge through the T1/T2 carousel, then popped outside at T3 pretty much to let the field by, then dropped in line ahead of the Spec Iron and lower GTS classes, and just got on with my drive. Remember, I have nothing to prove here, and nothing to gain outside of having some fun. I was more focused on not screwing up anybody’s race than anything else, really. The SI car (also solo-in-class) made a run at me, and since we were running similar pace, we duked it out for a while, and we also played with a couple of back-marker AI cars. He was on fresher Toyo RR slicks, and had the edge on me through the corners with my now very abused Conti’s screaming for mercy, while on the straights, my extra 30HP or so gave me the legs. It was fun for a bit, but I started to pull away, with my brake pedal starting to get mushy. Roughly a lap later, the GTS-1 and GTS-2 field caught up, and I pulled wide to let them clear, then dove into the pits to get out of the way.
We let the car cool a little bit, bled the brakes, then John took the car out for a TT session. I’ll let him comment on his time in the car if he wishes, but I apologize to him for giving him a car with worn-out rubber and disappearing brakes…

After another session with my student, who was progressing nicely, it was finally my turn for the last Matrix race of the day. Same group as in Joe’s race, but this time, the start would be single-file, to push the fast guys further back, and the grid order was the finishing order from the last race, inverted. That meant that I would be starting next-to-last, behind fellow CMC racers Bob Denton and Kent Owens, and ahead of Lisle Riggins in his Factory Five Cobra. Our pack would be led by National Champion 944SPEC racer Eric Kuhns. What a mix, and what a bunch of fun!!! You can guess what I did on the formation lap, and having suitably warmed my junk, I planned on using that wonderful Ford 4.6L torque to pop inside of Bob in his 4th-gen F-Body at T1, and just start motoring through the field. Remember what happens to plans??? Bob got an absolutely PERFECT start, while I was a tick behind on dropping the hammer, so I dropped behind him going into the right-hand T1/T2 carousel, and figured on putting a nose inside him going into the left-hander T3. I knew Lisle would be right behind me, but would have traffic from the “A” group behind us, so I bet that he would be too busy to put a move on me. Exiting the right-hander T2, Bob went wide to get a good run on T3, and I DID get a nose inside, pushing him wide. As I was about to turn in towards apex, a black Viper from A group put a nose inside of ME!!! Uh-oh… Three-wide through T3, and did I ever get freight-trained! The Viper was quickly followed by an AIX Mustang and a Lotus Exige, all of whom pushed me WAYYY wide. Needless to say, Bob squirted ahead, and then Lisle was all over me like like a cheap suit. There was no way to hold him off, since he has roughly equivalent cornering grip, and a higher power-to-weight ratio, so a couple corners later, I pulled a bit wide and let him go. Time to buckle down and start hunting CMC cars! I kept inching up on Bob, until I finally caught him in the braking zone after the big back straight, taking the inside line away. To say the least, we were both VERY polite in that corner. I know how the CMC guys race (being one of them), and figured he would enforce the “3/4 carwidth rule” so I put two tires in the dirt at the top of the apex berm. Bob, meantime, not being familiar with my driving style or car characteristics (since I never pass him in CMC!), decided to give me PLENTY of room, worried about a possible dive-bomb in a fun race. In the end, we were both essentially parked side-by-side, with 20’ between us, and no real exit speed!! Dammit!!! He had the advantage on the following left-hander, and it was back the chase! This time, though, we would be nose-to-tail. He pulled away here, I caught back up there, and finally, I was on his bumper through the final turn onto the back straight again, and he knew I had him… He motored out, drifting left to set up for the next corner, 1300 feet down the track, and I just hammered it and went straight, clearing him in the braking zone. Not being 100% sure of how long my car is, left him a bit of room at turn-in and apex, finally dropping onto the line at the exit of the following corner, with him right behind me. Now, it was MY turn to leg it and try to get away from him! After another half-lap, I had pulled up a decent enough lead to not have to protect, and I could concentrate on catching up to Kent, who had checked out while Bob and I were dueling. A couple of laps later, the yellow came out at start/finish, for a Viper that had broken and pulled off near T3, but I was slowly reeling in Kent, so I kept pushing hard, with Bob in the background just waiting to pounce if I made a mistake. Another lap went by, and the white came out, and I realized that Kent would have to choke for me to catch him. It was not to be. Keeping one eye on Bob, I powered through the last lap, sticking the tail out on every corner exit, passing a 944 from another group as I came flying past the briskly waving Checkered Flag. With a standing yellow right BEHIND it. OOPS. I wound up finishing third in my group, but the pass under yellow moved me to last-in-class, and cost me a point on my license. Nice move, Dave. That is an example of a small mental mistake having big repercussions! It was now 5:30PM, and the day was over. A practice session, two qualifying sessions, three races and a couple of TT sessions later, the exhausted Pony Car was put under the cover, and I headed for the hotel.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Sunday: Cooler (high in the 50’s), and threatening rain later in the day… I don’t mind admitting that after the last two days, I WAS BEAT! The track was taking its toll on me, my neck was hurting (very bumpy track), my back was hurting, my FEET were hurting, and with the weather, I pretty much resolved not to drive. Joe was in much the same shape. Again, nothing to prove, nothing to gain, and plenty to lose. The brakes were just about gone, the tires weren’t far behind, and we were out of gas. The car had about 3/8 of a tank left, plenty for John to run a couple of TT sessions, so that was the plan. On the first session out with my student, I ran a couple of “test” exercises, which he passed with flying colors, and I promoted him to HPDE-2, with the proviso that if he went out in the rain, I wanted to get back in with him to do some rain-line coaching. He was ecstatic. John went out for the first TT session, and, well, I’ll let him tell the story. Bottom line is that he did NOT set a time, and was DQd for the first and second sessions… Crap! The next TT session was after lunch, and rain was looming. I told John that I did have Continental Rolex Cup rains for the car, but if he wanted them, he’d have to make the swap. We all know that Mustangs and wet tracks are not a good combination in the first place, and John wasn’t thrilled with that idea, particularly in a borrowed car, so… In the trailer it went.

Did it ever rain! The Thunder race was run in full wet conditions, with my car under cover. Pace was a bit off, but on a 1.9 mile track, a full MINUTE off pace should tell you just how wet it really was! It dried a bit for the Lightning race, and I chatted with a couple of their drivers to get a sense of how the track was behaving right before I went out with my student. It was an incredibly informative session, since the dry line was good, but pace was down. I took advantage of the slower pace to point out the visible difference on the surface between the drier (on-line) and wetter (off-line) areas, and he started to really grasp the concept of “reading” a track surface. On the cool-down lap, I pointed out all the dirt patches and heavily rubbered berms, as well as the “grey arcs” on the surface (tire clag), and he very quickly grasped what I was showing him: how to “find” the line at a foreign track. Those dirt patches are from cars CONSTANTLY dropping a wheel looking for a bit more track, so it’s a good bet that you want to be pretty close to that point on your line. The rubber on the berms will show you which you need to hug… It was like I taught him to read, or something! With nothing much else to do, I cleaned up inside the trailer a bit, and then the heavens opened up, again, and I knew that I would need to run with my student for his final session… Great. Rain-line stuff. Wonderful. NOT!

It turned out to be a fun session. We talked rain-line concept in the paddock, so he knew NOT to be on the dry line, but to cheat as close as he could and still find grip. While we were out there, I taught him to read a wet track surface (shiny pavement is bad! Avoid standing water at all costs!), and we had a blast, even winding up spinning once when he tried to take a bit too much in one corner. We were doing all of 15mph when the rear came around, so it was no drama and all giggles… Another couple of slow, slipping, sliding laps, and the final checker of the weekend flew, but I wasn’t quite done. I instructed him to slow WAYYYY down and get on the dry line. Yup, absolutely ZERO traction. The gas pedal simply wagged the rear end, brakes didn’t work, and steering was only a vague suggestion in terms of direction of travel. After three corners, I got him on the wet line again, and in we went. 10 minutes later, Joe and I were pulling out of the paddock, mission accomplished, in spades.

In the end, this was one of the best weekends I’ve EVER had at a track, period. Great camaraderie, fantastic clean racing, and I didn’t even drive on Saturday!

NDSP

forum member
Reaction score
Great write up Dave. It sounds like a hell of alot of fun. I've got to get into some track days and get some training.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
It'll take me a while to edit down and render more, but here's the first installment:

4.5 hours, not ONE yellow flag (local or FCY), and NO body contact! That's clean racing!

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
4.5 hours, not ONE yellow flag (local or FCY), and NO body contact! That's clean racing!

Enduro's are becoming more and more appealing to me because of this. I will be at Watkins Glen this weekend with BMWCCA and they are running a 4 hour enduro on Friday, I can't wait for it. A couple close friends of mine are running in it, hopefully in another season or two I can me racing with them.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Just a quick chime in here - we had a BLAST!! I think of all the nights (in my youth) spent going out to a bar/club to have fun and they don't even come close to the fun I had last Friday night. [Well, there was that one night back in the Summer of 2004...Elizabeth...mmm. Anyway, you get the point - you can "party" or you can race. Choose race.]

Before the event Dave told me his goal was just to finish the race - well, we did that without a drop of fuel to spare! Too cool. But I have to say, Dave gives me too much credit. As crew chief I signed off on a lot of decisions (fuel load and such), but most of these were made with everyone helping work through them. We were a team.

Then, we won! That was pretty remarkable. And now I'm hooked. I am sooooo looking forward to next year's season. Actually, no, I'm already there...plotting, scheming, collecting data. We're going to be much stronger, much tighter in our strategy, and much more animal-proof. =)

You listening Midwest?
We're coming. :evillaugh:

Enduro's are becoming more and more appealing to me because of this. I will be at Watkins Glen this weekend with BMWCCA and they are running a 4 hour enduro on Friday, I can't wait for it. A couple close friends of mine are running in it, hopefully in another season or two I can me racing with them.

If you're not already, volunteer to help with crew duties. You gotta do it! With luck you get the sort of "we're a team" vibe our effort had. Being on the inside and working to make something happen is a whole lot better than cheering from the outside.

Best,
-j

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Oh, and the story on the spin went something like this...

"Ok, car feels good, let's try pushing the braking zone back a 1/2 tick...see how that feels."

[Ruh-roh]

"WTF? So this is what the track looks like going backwards. I needed to know that."

Not much there, I was going straight, hit the brakes, and the tail comes around on me. My analysis of contributing factors (since this may help someone):
- Very light tail (fuel load under 1/4 tank)
- Very minimal brake pad left in front (could already sense they were giving up)
Did I remember that we had just run a two days of hard track time on them?
Did it matter to me that they were stupidly thin? No.
- Very slight downhill gradient at the end of that particular braking zone

So I suspect we had a light tail that was not pushing down terribly hard on rear tires with brakes that were effectively rear-biased (front pads were fading and rears were fine). Rear wheels locked up and that little tail-wiggle under hard braking that's endemic to the car turned into a full-on 180 spin once I got into the downhill run.

Looking back, I probably also didn't modulate the brakes properly. I mean, I certainly wasn't heads-up enough to sense what they were going through, so I just stayed in the brakes. Bad circumstances meets bad driver.

Best,
-j

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
LOL!! I am the QUINTESSENTIAL Mustang driver... You know, drags knuckles when walking, moves lips when reading. Lights? What lights? We don't need no stinkin' lights!!!

Seriously, we did this on stock headlight buckets with an HID bulb/ballast kit, locked on high-beam. Not even working marker lights. Everybody else out there was rocking about 300 bazillion candlepower (at least that's how it felt with them in the rearview). Forward viz was okay, could have been better, but funtional. At turn-in, though there simply was NO view of the apex or track out. Next time, apex lighting will be VERY high on the priority list, like right after sticker rubber, fresh brake pads, and fuel...

What everybody was running were those flat LED panels with 5W white emitters. Some ran a single wide panel, but I REALLY liked passing one particular Miata, he had one wide panel forward, and two half-panels canted out at 30* or so. His were tacked on the top of the hood (no aero impact there!), but they would fit nicely across the main grille on an S197.

2008 V6

forum member
Reaction score
I finally found the time to read most of this and it sounded like a blast. I can relate to Out driving your headlights and being blinded by overtaking traffic – Seeing spots because your rear view mirrors are fixed because of vibration / non moveable. What was most difficult for me to overcome was having to drive by brail / memory and mostly not being able to read the surface for any irregularities – goodies left behind by expiring engines - Can’t see them until your in them just before your scenic tour into hopefully non immovable objects. It’s amazing how many new words are invented during this process. Don’t ask me how I know.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back