Maybe you need something mounted within the fascia like so:

1292090_432829720166564_1347498612_o.jpg

Here is their previous mounting, although not as "elegant" or aerodynamic:

1025328_398040586978811_1412146335_o.jpg

Last edited:

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
That's a shit-hot nightime setup, Arizona! Mind if I ask where you got those, and how much throw and spread they have?

None of us really had any issues with distance coverage with the HIDs that I had on the car, it was more the side-angle coverage that was hurting us. It absolutely sucks trying to turn-in and hit your apex when you can't see it. The NASA crew gave us a huge assist by placing apex marker cones with reflective tape at the top, but we really couldn't trust using the cones for the full run of the race, because, well, cones can move...

I have precisely zero cooling issues, so I also have no problem blocking off part of the grille with some aux lighting, either. I'm still thinking just apex lighting, perhaps with those flat panel emitters, but if your lights have more control, then those would be contenders.

07TGGT: You can do FAR worse than getting into endurance racing! Anywhere from 3 hours to 25 hours, it's a serious team effort, and quite a different style of driving when compared to traditional sprint races. Not only do you have to pass and defend, but you have to do the impossible: Drive fast, but save fuel, tires, and brakes. Add in the strategy of fuel stops, when/if to do tires, driver swaps, and who does what stint, and there's a LOT more depth than just blasting around the track for 30-40 minutes.

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
Dave:

That's not my ride--that's the car that the Winding Road Racing team will be running at this years 25H Thunderhill. You might be able to get some more specific info from them--but I figured you could use those pics for examples. If you were to do something like that inside the fascia, I don't see why you couldn't put an LED lighting module at the far ends of the bumper "popout" to get some side lighting as well.

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
That's a shit-hot nightime setup, Arizona! Mind if I ask where you got those, and how much throw and spread they have?

None of us really had any issues with distance coverage with the HIDs that I had on the car, it was more the side-angle coverage that was hurting us. It absolutely sucks trying to turn-in and hit your apex when you can't see it. The NASA crew gave us a huge assist by placing apex marker cones with reflective tape at the top, but we really couldn't trust using the cones for the full run of the race, because, well, cones can move...

I have precisely zero cooling issues, so I also have no problem blocking off part of the grille with some aux lighting, either. I'm still thinking just apex lighting, perhaps with those flat panel emitters, but if your lights have more control, then those would be contenders.

07TGGT: You can do FAR worse than getting into endurance racing! Anywhere from 3 hours to 25 hours, it's a serious team effort, and quite a different style of driving when compared to traditional sprint races. Not only do you have to pass and defend, but you have to do the impossible: Drive fast, but save fuel, tires, and brakes. Add in the strategy of fuel stops, when/if to do tires, driver swaps, and who does what stint, and there's a LOT more depth than just blasting around the track for 30-40 minutes.

Yes, it definitely sounds like a team effort. I like being part of teams that acutally accomplish things together, either big or small, commradre is a pretty good feeling.

Hell, I already spend money fixing shit that ain't broke so why do fix shit that is broke or worn beyond servicability, do something I love and a have great time while I'm at it LOL.

I am definitely interested though, and I think I will start looking into how to get my foot in the door. Even if it's just loading and unloading the trailer to start out! So if you have any contacts, or know of anything related it this in Texas let me know. :thumb2:

BTW, what exactly is a "stint"?

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Yes, it definitely sounds like a team effort. I like being part of teams that acutally accomplish things together, either big or small, commradre is a pretty good feeling.

That's one of the best (if not THE best) parts of that weekend. It isn't the first enduro that we've won, but it was the first when we really seemed to gel as a team, and it felt fantastic!

Hell, I already spend money fixing shit that ain't broke so why do fix shit that is broke or worn beyond servicability, do something I love and a have great time while I'm at it LOL.
I completely agree. Be warned, though, that like any form of racing, endurance racing isn't cheap. We always start the race on a sticker set of slicks, with fresh brake pads (and usually fresh rotors), and we go through gas at the rate of roughly one gallon every five minutes. All that being said, you get MORE than the normal weekend's racing time, so the consumables aren't out of line, and I usually convert the balance of the tires and brakes into a 3-day race weekend. The amount of fun, though, should be illegal...

I am definitely interested though, and I think I will start looking into how to get my foot in the door. Even if it's just loading and unloading the trailer to start out! So if you have any contacts, or know of anything related it this in Texas let me know. :thumb2:
http://nasatx.com/ How easy was that?! LOTS of events, great bunch of guys, and NASA can take you all the way from first track day ever all the way through a nationally-portable competition license. They're also the sanctioning body for the endurance events, so it's practically one-stop-shopping. If you want to help crew, take a look at the schedule, pop out to an event or two, and look for cars with a "E#" "ES" or "ESR" class sticker on the door, and go chat. Tell then you want to check out the endurance scene, and ask if there's anything you can do to help them out at the next endurance race. Trust me, you'll be doing more than just unloading trailers.

BTW, what exactly is a "stint"?
A "stint" is a segment of driving, or a portion of the race. For example, with our setup, we can change drivers faster than we can dump fuel, so we change out the driver for a fresh guy every time we come in. For the 4.5hr Enduro, we had initially planned on 4 stints based on a 70 minute fuel window, with each stint being equal to a tank of gas. The final stint would be a fast splash-n-go to the end, with the possibility of the last driver doing a "double-stint." When we figured out we were in the lead for our class, we went conservative and limited ourselves to 10-gallon dumps per stop, to avoid any pit-lane penalties for fuel spills. We wound up running five stints with our team of three drivers. Myself, then Nathan, then Joe, then Me, then Nathan to take it home on the "anchor leg."

The white Mustang that finished second was running a two-driver team, were doing double-stints (two fuel loads, then change drivers), and were planning on seven fuel stops.

I'm kind of looking (squinting, morelike) at doing the Thunderhill 25 in 2015, which is a race of a whole different animal. We'd have to bring serious spares (engine, trans, axle, complete suspension kits), and when you start talking about fuel in terms of BARRELS used, well, that's when things get interesting...

07TGGT

@user
Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to explain and address everything!

Guess I should have searched on Google for that website LOL.

You don't happen to have a build thread of the car on here? I'll have to look.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Naw, no build thread per se... This was a slllloooowwww build-up, in pretty much the traditional form. Bought new in '06, drag raced it (not seriously), then started with "handling mods." Did a track day, then did some more, got seriously hooked, and wound up going up through the ranks to NASA Time Trial, modding the car the whole way. Despite having the wrong mods to be competitive in TT, I did okay (won a bunch of tires, placed second in the regional championships) and completely replaced the suspension again, but then the racing bug hit. Bought a 1995 Cobra CMC (Camaro-Mustang Challenge) car with a buddy so that neither of us would tear up our perfectly good street cars. Three months later, in the last outing for the '06, I slammed it into some guardrail, and suddenly owned TWO race cars. Took me 18 months of work to get the '06 caged and prepped for real wheel-to-wheel racing, and I'm still at that 90% prepped level. Still have a bunch of the detail stuff to go, like real data acquisition, yet ANOTHER damper set, fire bottle, diff and trans coolers, and a few other things. There was a LOT more damage to the car than I thought. Oh, well, it's only money!

If I wind up doing the 25-hour at Thunderhill, it won't be on a 4.6 3V, though, it'll be on a Coyote. So, even more work....

It never ends.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
See...now this is where I get out my philosopher's hat and say something about the relative use of language per a speaker's intent. Smith says tires are worthless 6 months after they pop out of the mold...but look at what he wants from them.

Dave says:

This was a slllloooowwww build-up, in pretty much the traditional form.

This is what I remember of that traditional build up...

Lowum+Quarter+Panel+Repair+006.jpg

This is how sick we've become. :crazy:

If you had just let me install Pop's special grip tires, this would've never happened.

Best,
-j

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Gee, thanks, John, for reminding me... I had almost forgotten about that stretch... And spraining a shoulder scraping seam sealer. And sleepless nights worrying about wiring in my head. And...

But you never told me you had a set of Pops' tires I could play with! ;-) Besides, the tires were fine, I just drove faster than my talent!

Honestly, looking at that reminds me of just how TOUGH these chassis are. That said, now, when I climb into the car, surrounded by a VERY serious cage, I feel safe, and that's all that really matters, in the end. After all, it's not IF, it's WHEN.

Philostang

Chrome Hater
Reaction score
Cripes! Has everyone lost their sense of humor?

It was a joke!:thumb2:

You may be right...but only if looking in the mirror. "Keep your own fantasies to yourself..." << That was a joke back at you for your joke on me. Get it?...why would you suggest "Elizabeth" was a dude unless you secretly envision "dude" at the thought of a memorable night? Hah-hah...heh...oh forget it.

So...what happened to your sense of humor?
:stooges:

Best,
-j

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back