AC Problem Compressor kicks on and off

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've looked through a bunch of threads but haven't found what I'm looking for. I've noticed recently it felt like my AC wasn't as cold as normal. Yesterday when I started to leave work I could hear my compressor kick on (5-10 seconds) then off (5-10 seconds). I don't have much AC experience, but is this a tale tale sign that the freon is low? If that is the case, should I just spend the cash and get a can from a local auto parts store and just let it go or should I really check for an obvious leak(has to be one if the freon went low right???) My turbo piping runs right down by the compressor btw.

R7r5

NEEDS MORE BOOST!!!!
Reaction score
If its leaking I would invest the money into a can a freon with the dye in it to identify the leak it will be costly to keep filling it

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Yeah, that's typically a sign that your freon is low - although it can also mean a bad pressure switch.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking def a sign of possible freon low levels. I did read a little bit about people having issues with either wiring or bad pressure switches. I'm wondering if I should just let Ford chase it? I've only ever let the stealer touch my car one time since I've had it and that was to do warranty fuel pump TSB. I just struggle with the fact that they are going to charge $175 for 1can fill and check(and only check/no fix) for leaks.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking def a sign of possible freon low levels. I did read a little bit about people having issues with either wiring or bad pressure switches. I'm wondering if I should just let Ford chase it? I've only ever let the stealer touch my car one time since I've had it and that was to do warranty fuel pump TSB. I just struggle with the fact that they are going to charge $175 for 1can fill and check(and only check/no fix) for leaks.

That is high for a diag. Most shops now will do a free A/C Check and Freon is extra. It is also easy enough to get yourself one of the home kits with a gauge and do it yourself. Low Pressure/Fill Port is on top of the accumulator. It is just under the hood off the firewall on the Driver's side.

Fill it yourself and see how long it takes to get warm again. Unfortunately there are ways of checking for a leak but nothing that tells us how severe the leak is.

rayS197

Reaction score
Another thing to look to is the AC clutch relay which is often over looked. The wifes camry was doing the same thing about two weeks ago. Changed out the $15 relay and all is good. The relay should be #24 location according to the owners manual.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So last night I did a visual of the lines and didn't see any smoking guns, but this is w/o dye in the system yet. I did try the swap of nearby Relays with no help.

LAllison20

forum member
Reaction score
I had this issue last year. A can of AC Pro worked until about a month ago when I added another small can. I also had to replace my AC condenser last year after I found that the heat from my turbo piping caused the connector to become weak, which resulted in it cracking, and failing to cut on at all. If i were you I would check on the integrity of that connector as well.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I had this issue last year. A can of AC Pro worked until about a month ago when I added another small can. I also had to replace my AC condenser last year after I found that the heat from my turbo piping caused the connector to become weak, which resulted in it cracking, and failing to cut on at all. If i were you I would check on the integrity of that connector as well.

I had to replace my connector last year. I had been experiencing what the op is going through. Just today it wouldn't cycle on. I cleaned the connector for the ac and the pressure switch. It's now working again. I think that a lot of crap gets thrown at those connectors from the belt and over time the connections get flakey.

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
In the cars I've helped fix, I've found in a couple of cases where they lost Freon when it blew out the over pressure valve. Added the Freon back in, and they never told me they had the problem again. Freak occurrence.

Just put some Freon in there, don't over pressurize the low side, and don't worry about it unless you continue to have problems.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
A can of super A/C fix all or whatever can't hurt.... A/C PRO or whatever brand of freon/leak sealer you prefer. Most have dye in them as well, so when/if it does fail again you'll be able to detect the leak and repair it for good.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score

I'm trying to picture what connector you are talking about?

I had to replace my connector last year. I had been experiencing what the op is going through. Just today it wouldn't cycle on. I cleaned the connector for the ac and the pressure switch. It's now working again. I think that a lot of crap gets thrown at those connectors from the belt and over time the connections get flakey.

I have my catch can vented on one side right down by the AC compressor too, so that could have added to the gunk. I remember having to rewire the compressor back when I put the turbo on to rerout the harness. I'll have to double check that also...

Wife's did the exact same thing few weeks back. Added the a/c pro stuff and has been good since.

a/c pro isn't sealer is it? If so I'm just hesitant of adding something to gunk up the system. I have seen what it does to cooling systems and it looks rough.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So last night I got a can of AC pro, let the car come up to temp, hooked it up and pressure was at about 15. I started putting freon in and got it up to about 35 psi. Then the compressor cycled and pressure dropped way down to about 10 and then slowly started raising back up. Then would cycle. A few seconds later cycle again and pressure would drop. The air through the vents didn't change????

michael.konor

forum member
Reaction score
Was there a time when you were adding Freon when the compressor cycled on, and stayed on? Checked air temp then? Or did you add Freon until it hit 35 and then checked?

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I added it a few times and then I don't recall it cycling till the pressure got higher into the range of pressures for the given ambient last night. Today I tested it on the way to work and it was doing the same 10s on 10s off like before. I didn't check the pressure today though.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
So I went out over lunch to attempt this again. Pressure was a little lower than last night. Turned the car on started the ac and the compressor only stays on for 3 seconds and then cuts right back off, off for maybe 8s until pressure raises back up to about 40, then off. WTH?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back