Accufab 85mm T body Test results (Real Deal) NA

Terminator2

Reaction score
= leaner = more powa that was my point all along before it got hijacked
Nope not true these cars like it on the richer side around 0.82 PE lambda. I have tried between 0.88-0.80 and around 0.82 makes the most power from what I have found.

GrabberBlue5.0

Gold Member
Reaction score
The early 5.0s made 160 whp stock the new coyote makes three times that much power bone stock and hence needs three times the airflow. IMHO 80mm is too small for a 380 whp car that revs to nearly 7000 RPMs stock. Especially once you put on a Boss IM and start revving out to 7800 RPMs. A stock LS2 has a 90mm and it makes far less power than a coyote and does not rev as high but GM thought it should have a 90mm. Ford should have put a 90mm on here stock.

Just because it makes 3 times the power (it's actually not even 250% of 160) does not mean it NEEDS 3 times he throttle body. It's only about 9 CC bigger so what makes you think you're going to be able to get the motor to draw in that much more air, FI will FORCE (hence the term FORCED induction) more air in but that does not mean it will be able to use that much more air on its own

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
The early 5.0s made 160 whp stock the new coyote makes three times that much power bone stock and hence needs three times the airflow. IMHO 80mm is too small for a 380 whp car that revs to nearly 7000 RPMs stock. Especially once you put on a Boss IM and start revving out to 7800 RPMs. A stock LS2 has a 90mm and it makes far less power than a coyote and does not rev as high but GM thought it should have a 90mm. Ford should have put a 90mm on here stock.

I was just saying we are lucky we have a throttle body that isn't a slouch stock. We could have been stuck with one that well underperforms.

You say it needs a bigger throttle body. Then why is it that when people dyno the 85mm & 90MM they gain nothing or a couple horse power at peak?

Ford says they computer modeling showed the 90mm throttle body would make about 3 flywheel hp more at peak. And production costs made it not worth going with.

"Coyote gets its own 80mm electronic throttle body, the last step before Ford would move to a dual-bore design. Computer studies showed a minimal 3 (flywheel) horsepower gain with a 90mm twin bore, which wasn't deemed worth the cost or packaging headaches. Details such as the edge shape of the throttle blade, recessed screws, and partially cutaway shaft are all there to support either the Coyote's low 650-rpm idle speed or voracious appetite for air at 7,000 rpm."

Read more

Ford engineers put a lot of time and effort into this motor. The didn't feel this or the Boss motor needed a larger throttle body. Sure cost is a partial concern. But they didn't leave much on the table using this throttle body.

Size is not every thing. CFM is a much better indication of how the throttle body performs. Again, the stock throttle body has some nice "hotrodding" tricks from the factory to help CFM. The stock 80mm unit flows 913cfm. That is plenty of cfm to cover your average bolt on Coyote. Can a different throttle body improve power in some applications? Well sure. Is the 80mm throttle body in the motor a poor for the stock application? Heck no.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
...adding some perspective here...

There are N/A Coyote's running 10's using the stock TB.

There are FI folks pushing 1,000WHP with the stock TB running low 9's.
http://twinturbo50.com/

If the TB was a bottleneck, how can those results be accounted for? Speaks for itself.

There is absolutely 0 data that has been presented that shows gains at the track on a N/A application using an aftermarket TB. Waste of money IMO.

Last edited:

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
I don't see the continued debate. No reasonable gains have been shown to be made. Results are not repeatable. There are many better modifications for this car for the money than a TB.

Terminator2

Reaction score
...adding some perspective here...

There are N/A Coyote's running 10's using the stock TB.

There are FI folks pushing 1,000WHP with the stock TB running low 9's.
http://twinturbo50.com/

If the TB was a bottleneck, how can those results be accounted for? Speaks for itself.

There is absolutely 0 data that has been presented that shows gains at the track on a N/A application using an aftermarket TB. Waste of money IMO.
On cars making power numbers like that a simple TB and intake mani swap can yield up to 100 whp. Just because a car can make 1000 whp on the stock throttle body does not mean that is the max potential power that setup can generate. That is the same as saying that because someone made 900 whp on a single 3" exhaust (it has been done in the turbo world) that that is all that is needed.

86merc

forum member
Reaction score
You keep saying a bigger throttle body and intake cam make more power. Now as much as 100 whp on a n/a set up? Where is your proof?

We all would like to see the builds and data. Because there are already several Boss intakes cars with aftermarket and throttle bodies that have not shown gains even close to that.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
On cars making power numbers like that a simple TB and intake mani swap can yield up to 100 whp. Just because a car can make 1000 whp on the stock throttle body does not mean that is the max potential power that setup can generate. That is the same as saying that because someone made 900 whp on a single 3" exhaust (it has been done in the turbo world) that that is all that is needed.

A meteor could hit the Earth next year and kill us all. It is all if's and but's until someone has some concrete proof on said applications.

Do you know what the size of the opening is on the stock and boss intake? I do.

BTW - the restriction on these motors is on the exhaust side, not the intake side.

Last edited:

Drkmrkiv

forum member
Reaction score
A meteor could hit the Earth next year and kill us all. It is all if's and but's until someone has some concrete proof on said applications.

Do you know what the size of the opening is on the stock and boss intake? I do.

BTW - the restriction on these motors is on the exhaust side, not the intake side.

That would explain why headers/full exhaust free up a decent amount of power.

DLM

forum member
Reaction score
I did put the Accufab unit up against my stock TB on the dyno on while NA an there was no gain vs stock then put the stocker back on made a few tweeks an found more power with the stocker. Go figure it just wasn't worth the cash to me or worth being on my car maybe fine for others.

Wnt2gofst

Banned
Reaction score
They have researched and built these enginbes several times. If the TB was an issue theyt wouldn't spend 25k building a TT car and skimp on $500 dollars. They are worthless. I know a few people that have pulled them off N/A and FI and lost no power, yet tuning was easy for them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back