Aesbestos floor tile

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
I have been slowly updating my house from 1950's-1960's-1970's stuff, lol. A couple of years ago I ripped out the 70's-show green shag in the kitchen and did ceramic tile with the help of a co-worker.

My basement (approx 1600 sq ft) at one time was finished out (I'm guessing in the 60's). I ripped out all the ceiling tiles as they were moldy, threw out years of crap the family that lived there before me accumulated, and demolished/removed a room/walls. I also have painted the walls with moisture inhibiting paint (can't remember the name Lock-something). Now I am ready to remove the floor tiles and do the whole thing in ceramic tile.

I've done some research and my tiles really looked like aesbestos. This freaks my wife out because we have a 1 year old and she didn't like the thought of me removing them and contaminating our house, lol. I did send samples off for testing and they are indeed aesbestos.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to remove this stuff? How dangerous is it REALLY? I feel the whole aesbestos danger is overblown to a degree. Unless you are around it daily I really can't see it being any harm. I'm thinking of using a garden hose to wet them and then scrape them up and toss into a 50 gal trash can to carry up the stairs. I have no idea how to dispose of them from there.

spaz2203

forum member
Reaction score
I have been slowly updating my house from 1950's-1960's-1970's stuff, lol. A couple of years ago I ripped out the 70's-show green shag in the kitchen and did ceramic tile with the help of a co-worker.

My basement (approx 1600 sq ft) at one time was finished out (I'm guessing in the 60's). I ripped out all the ceiling tiles as they were moldy, threw out years of crap the family that lived there before me accumulated, and demolished/removed a room/walls. I also have painted the walls with moisture inhibiting paint (can't remember the name Lock-something). Now I am ready to remove the floor tiles and do the whole thing in ceramic tile.

I've done some research and my tiles really looked like aesbestos. This freaks my wife out because we have a 1 year old and she didn't like the thought of me removing them and contaminating our house, lol. I did send samples off for testing and they are indeed aesbestos.

Anyone have suggestions on the best way to remove this stuff? How dangerous is it REALLY? I feel the whole aesbestos danger is overblown to a degree. Unless you are around it daily I really can't see it being any harm. I'm thinking of using a garden hose to wet them and then scrape them up and toss into a 50 gal trash can to carry up the stairs. I have no idea how to dispose of them from there.

You probably won't like what I have to say, but with a family with a baby running around, I'd have a professional service do it....you wouldn't want to have some residue on you and have it in on baby toys or anything like that. With this I'd say its better to play it safe.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You probably won't like what I have to say, but with a family with a baby running around, I'd have a professional service do it....you wouldn't want to have some residue on you and have it in on baby toys or anything like that. With this I'd say its better to play it safe.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Asbestos abatement = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is this a gorilla home addition or a permitted thing (you went and got permits)? If the local jurisdiction finds out you are working around asbestos get ready. If you are not "on the radar", so to speak, I'd highly suggest you just bury it under your ceramic tile backer board and just seal it off. Once sealed off you'll be fine.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I agree with sealing it off and forgetting about it. You can go right over it with concrete composite backer board and then tile directly over that. You will lose about an inch+ total height so you'll have to trim all your doors but that's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with the asbestos.

Bodam

forum member
Reaction score
Asbestos is overblown? And you are willing to tear it all out with a small child in the house? Seriously?

Do yourself a favor and put down some concrete board and lay the tile on top. I'm afraid of you are capable of if you plan on removing it.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with sealing it off and forgetting about it. You can go right over it with concrete composite backer board and then tile directly over that. You will lose about an inch+ total height so you'll have to trim all your doors but that's a hell of a lot cheaper and easier than dealing with the asbestos.

Cutting them is an ok idea. But if he's hanging new (or rehanging existing) doors just hang them higher in the walls. That way if you have to replace one it'll be less work. Standard size doors are easy. A little extra work now might save more later.

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
Is this a gorilla home addition or a permitted thing (you went and got permits)? If the local jurisdiction finds out you are working around asbestos get ready. If you are not "on the radar", so to speak, I'd highly suggest you just bury it under your ceramic tile backer board and just seal it off. Once sealed off you'll be fine.
Definately not on the radar, I'm just doing a little home improvement myself in my spare time on a budget. I'm planning on selling in a few years and want the basement usable, right now its like a scene from the walking dead prison.

Asbestos is overblown? And you are willing to tear it all out with a small child in the house? Seriously?

Do yourself a favor and put down some concrete board and lay the tile on top. I'm afraid of you are capable of if you plan on removing it.

I've had several local people tell me that as long as its wetted down to stop dust and your not running your A/C or furnace (spreading it through the house), its fairly safe. I also planned on covering the return in my basement and putting up plastic between the basement door and the rest of the house.

My boss removed his aesbestos tile with a scraper 20+ yrs ago himself and is still alive. However, If I didn't have reservations about it, I wouldnt be asking! I do know that aesbestos poses a serious danger.

I can remember when I was young and they were removing aesbestos materials from our school with us kids walking around everywhere.

I think this might be the best choice too. My gut has been telling me I should somehow cover it up instead of removing. I don't want to risk any harm to my kid. However, I don't guess I see how using hardi backer board on a concrete floor would work very well? My basement can tend to be damp at times when its very wet in the spring, etc. Will the concrete board be OK in occasionally damp environments?

So you saying to just thin set over the top of the tiles (keep in mind some are loose). I was thinking that if I could put the tile directly on the concrete floor it would work better?? I'm wondering if there is some way to carefully remove only the damaged, loose tiles and then fill in the open spots and seal over it somehow?

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The concrete backer board is what is used in shower stalls. Yes, it will withstand a wet environment. Just use the same adhesives you would use if you were tiling a shower stall and it will be fine.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll be tiling my front hall and my master bath this winter I think.

Synister500

Reaction score
I will get on board with everyone else and say do not remove it. It is classified as hazardous waste. If you are caught you are responsible for the long term care of everyone you exposed to it. It takes very little dust to have an effect on a child or elderly. If you decide to remove it it has to be done professionally and it is extremely expensive. The concrete backer board will do everything you are wanting. It is a moisture barrier. Glue the backer board directly to the current flooring then tile directly over it. Apply tile as you normally would. You can then put a sealer over the tile and grout to withstand moisture and stains.

BJ

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
The concrete backer board is what is used in shower stalls. Yes, it will withstand a wet environment. Just use the same adhesives you would use if you were tiling a shower stall and it will be fine.

Good point! There are a ton of showers made out of tile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
I will get on board with everyone else and say do not remove it. It is classified as hazardous waste. If you are caught you are responsible for the long term care of everyone you exposed to it. It takes very little dust to have an effect on a child or elderly. If you decide to remove it it has to be done professionally and it is extremely expensive. The concrete backer board will do everything you are wanting. It is a moisture barrier. Glue the backer board directly to the current flooring then tile directly over it. Apply tile as you normally would. You can then put a sealer over the tile and grout to withstand moisture and stains.

BJ

Thanks man.

Sounds like a plan. This should be easier than removing the old anyway.

And to address someone's earlier post. As far as adding the height due to board, it's not going to be a concern as its an open area now. No doors,trim, etc. Just block walls and the floor basically!

Thanks for all the advice.

Doug M

Fast Cars & Freedom
Reaction score
all sounds good except for putting the bord over the loose flooring. In time even if you put thin set down first, it could possibly still move and break your tiles over time. Yes the redi- board is made for water proofing in shower, basements etc. Like you said earlier, I would try carefully to repair the damaged areas, If possible. That would make for a better floor covering in the long run, because if that board is over any loose foundation, it will let your tiles shift and break, good luck and .jmo.

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what you use to "glue" the cement board to the existing tiles? Thin set? Or is there something specifically for going over tiles and concrete?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Considering my family used to have a company who did asbestos removal. It's not as easy as wetting it down and you're fine. In any sizable area wetting it down isn't going to save you. So good call just tiling over it. Yes, thin set is what you need to use, own a flooring company now. LOL

50tbrd88

forum member
Reaction score
So I went down last night to inspect the floor and a TON of those tiles are loose. I think most of them can be taken up without breaking them. I'm just afraid to go over top of them with new flooring ($$) to have it all come loose. FML...

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The loose ones don't sound like a problem to me. Pick them up, seal them in a bag and forget about them. It's the ones that will break and release dust and shit that are the problem. I still wouldn't pull any up. If you can lift the loose tiles, just reset them with adhesive. Once they are not loose, bury them. You won't have to worry about disposal or creating dust from demolition.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I would throw away the loose ones rather than trying to reattach them to the floor. They are thin and the difference in height will easily be taken up by the thinset.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back