After Cat...is it worth it?

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Couldn't find anyone mentioning after cat pipes through the threads. Anyone run an aftercat x pipe? Is it worth it?

Thanks yous guise. :crazy:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To change your exhaust tone, yes.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering how many people run one and can attest to an increase of volume? I like the idea of retaining factory cats for now, but I really want the volume to increase as much as possible without having to go catless.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I guess I'm wondering how many people run one and can attest to an increase of volume? I like the idea of retaining factory cats for now, but I really want the volume to increase as much as possible without having to go catless.

Outlaws. I almost think they are louder than straight pipes at certain times. I've run them with and without cats and they are pretty obnoxious.

quiksilver15

forum member
Reaction score
the X will just change the tone, deleting the resonators on your over axle pipes will get you some more volume.

07 Boss

Reaction score
the X will just change the tone, deleting the resonators on your over axle pipes will get you some more volume.

What resonators do you speak of? I don't think I have any, in fact, I'm getting ready to weld some in.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Outlaws. I almost think they are louder than straight pipes at certain times. I've run them with and without cats and they are pretty obnoxious.

Finding a decent axleback that wasn't the Roush or MBRP was a task. The SLP's I have on here are pretty loud WOT, but I'm wanting more volume at idle and sub 3K RPM.

I've determined that a resonator delete is going down when the after cat is installed. Hopefully that gives me the volume increase I want. Would you say that resonator deletes add a substantial amount of loudness?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well like I said, the outlaws are obnoxiously loud, and that's pretty much at all rpm levels. It is a raw unrefined tone, but it is loud. I'm getting ready to weld in a couple of Cherry Bombs in, not to quiet it done, but to try and refine the one a bit.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You want loud and more refined? Boom. Magnaflow Competition cat-back. Replaces the entire over-axle assembly with mandrel-bent 3" piping.

Just be warned of the dreaded 2k drone. That's why I got rid of mine. I love my Corsa Xtreme system, but I wish it were as loud as the Magnaflows were but without the drone.

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
I hope my gt500 corsa's will get louder but not obnoxiously loud with headers, no cats, and x pipe.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hope my gt500 corsa's will get louder but not obnoxiously loud with headers, no cats, and x pipe.

They'll sound like poop. The sound cancellation and Helmholtz resonance used to produce Corsa's drone-free sound doesn't play well with long-tubes and no catalytic converter. Heck, Corsa's website even tells you not to use their mufflers on "heavily-modified" setups.

D1984

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my Outlaw axlebacks slightly used on ebay for 150 bucks. They sound amazing, and are definitely 10x louder than stock. I want to go catless though and they might be too loud for that.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
I bought my Outlaw axlebacks slightly used on ebay for 150 bucks. They sound amazing, and are definitely 10x louder than stock. I want to go catless though and they might be too loud for that.

Would you say they're louder than Roush AB?

07 Boss

Reaction score

They are pretty effin loud and without cats I get some trumpeting depending on load and RPM's.

Would you say they're louder than Roush AB?

The Roush extremes might be pretty darn close, but louder than the regular roush set up, definitely.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
My first upgrade on my 05 were the Flowmaster American Thunder's. Nice upgrade over stock. Low and rumbly. A year ago I went with the Outlaws. Deeper and louder.... And I think perfect on the car.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My first upgrade on my 05 were the Flowmaster American Thunder's. Nice upgrade over stock. Low and rumbly. A year ago I went with the Outlaws. Deeper and louder.... And I think perfect on the car.

I had AT's on the car when I bought it and somebody wanted to trade so that is how I ended up with the outlaws.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I liked my Pypes PypeBombs with the stock manifolds and stock cats. Very aggressive but still with some drone around 2K. I liked them better than the Pypes Violators. They sounded good but not aggressive enough.

American Muscle used to have some good sound clips online.

DOFORLIFE

forum member
Reaction score
They'll sound like poop. The sound cancellation and Helmholtz resonance used to produce Corsa's drone-free sound doesn't play well with long-tubes and no catalytic converter. Heck, Corsa's website even tells you not to use their mufflers on "heavily-modified" setups.

I just looked and it says not to use the extremes on a heavily modified vehicle. I don't think this sounds badMustang GT w/ GT500 Corsa Sport quads and off roa…: http://youtu.be/0bH3_8LhLQM

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back