Air filter question

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, this might be a silly question, but I need an answer please.

I just swapped out a new air filter for my Steeda CAI. Simple and easy swap out. I was wondering if I needed to retune the car afterwards? I took it to the track yesterday and it seemed like it was running fine, but today when I got on it in 3rd gear it seemed like it was struggling a bit. Mind you I had 2 extra passengers and had a trunk full of groceries(lol).

Thanks in advance!:beerchug2:

stig1950

forum member
Reaction score
that extra weight probably made it feel heavy like a new camaro,if all you did was change out the airfilter doubt you would have to retune it.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah I figured, thanks. Just had me wondering.......

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How different is the new filter? Why didn't you just clean and re-oil the Steeda one?

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How different is the new filter? Why didn't you just clean and re-oil the Steeda one?
Not any different..........I figured why not just buy a new one for $40!

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If it's not any different than it won't need a retune, worst case is it was over oiled and oil got on the maf sensor. Odds are, you just noticed the extra weight along with it being really hot.

DirtyDogOfTheDesert

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The only possible trouble you could run into is getting filter oil on the MAF sensor. Depending on how far up the intake tube you MAF sensor is located, and how slimey the new filter is. Seem this happen on Dmax diesels before.
I doubt this is the case though, or it would throw a code.

It's probably just the extra asses in your car making it sluggish.

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ha, extra asses..........

Thanks for the input guys. When I did put the filter on, I did a thorough inspection and didn't notice any excess oil on he filter. So the extra weight is most likely what I noticed.......thanks again!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
to be honest they run better a bit dirty. I called KN to buy a recharge kit and the guy talked me out of it, however a bit dirty is not crap wedged inside of it. thats bad haha

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
When I dialed in the tune my car it had a seriously dirty filter on it. I had to replace mine about two weeks ago, as it had some holes in the wire mesh. Because I dragged every little bit I could out of it, when I put the new filter on, I had to redial the tune again cuz it got way lean.

This is an extreme example and very rear. If a shop was tuning it for me, they prob would have insisted it get changed before the dyno session. LOL

to be honest they run better a bit dirty. I called KN to buy a recharge kit and the guy talked me out of it, however a bit dirty is not crap wedged inside of it. thats bad haha

So all the dead bugs, caked-on pollen, and the piece of melted plastic bag could be choking off my air? LOL

Seriously, I agree with you. Like the oil, light dust helps trap other dust.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back