Another motor mount question

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
OK OK I know, another motor mount question....... after an hour of searching and reading different threads, it seems like some people have said that the Prothane mounts (NOT THE JDM-style) raise the engine, some say they lower the engine, and others say they don't change the height at all.

I want my engine to be at the same height that it is now- not lower, not higher. Do the Prothane's actually change the height or not? If so, what other brands are out there that don't change the height?? TIA.

Last edited:

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Subscribing to this thread (I need motor mounts as well).

Sorry I don't have an answer for you...

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll tell ya, I didn't break out a ruler or anything, but I'm under that hood enough to notice a height difference and there is none. Just the other day I double checked with Josh (PMP) on the height difference of these mounts and he also confirmed they're about stock height. I'll have a pair for sale in Feb if anyone wants them. I'm swapping them for the JDM lower mounts.

Josh@PMP

Reaction score
I'll tell ya, I didn't break out a ruler or anything, but I'm under that hood enough to notice a height difference and there is none. Just the other day I double checked with Josh (PMP) on the height difference of these mounts and he also confirmed they're about stock height. I'll have a pair for sale in Feb if anyone wants them. I'm swapping them for the JDM lower mounts.

I have never measured, but like Alex said I haven't seen much of a difference on the sets I have seen installed.

We still have a few sets we are trying to clear out before years end on sale.
http://www.pmpparts.com/index.php?m...id=329&zenid=27f8433bd20bb9227d2106c03732f055

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
thanks josh- do you guys take paypal, I don't remember

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...I need to sell them and a bunch of other stuff so I can buy more shit from you. Hmmm, sounds like a trade, mounts for Autometer Cobalt A/F Wideband...Hell, you'd come ahead. :samuri:

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
:p he wants them now not in two months! :beerdrink:

yep, LOL! 2 months plus freight from Germany.... I appreciate the offer Alex but I'll go ahead now. Plus I've been itching to buy something from PMP; I almost ordered from (GASP!) GMS because they have the mounts right now for $105 but I'll stick with this plan I think.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just got a bad set but when I installed the Prothane mounts in my car they raised my engine from stock almost ½ inch. This was just enough to give me fitment problems with the cold side piping on my turbo. It took us a while to realize the fitment problems were due to the mounts and that the engine was actually sitting higher. I got the lowering mounts from JDM and all the piping lined up correctly.

Earl

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
OK, Prothanes and a plug gap tool ordered from PMP......

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When I got my CMDPs from them I also picked up the plug gap tool. Been sitting on my shelf for over a year never touched. But figured it'd be good to have for in the future. Sure enough, the time is coming near where I need it. I'm glad they started carrying them.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
Maybe I just got a bad set but when I installed the Prothane mounts in my car they raised my engine from stock almost ½ inch. This was just enough to give me fitment problems with the cold side piping on my turbo. It took us a while to realize the fitment problems were due to the mounts and that the engine was actually sitting higher. I got the lowering mounts from JDM and all the piping lined up correctly.

Earl

That seems odd that the mounts were too high, but then on the flipside, you had to use "lowering" mounts to get things to align. Glad you got it figured out though.

tom281

Warp Rider
Reaction score
When I got my CMDPs from them I also picked up the plug gap tool. Been sitting on my shelf for over a year never touched. But figured it'd be good to have for in the future. Sure enough, the time is coming near where I need it. I'm glad they started carrying them.

Yeah I figured WTH, since I'm blown I may as well pull and check plugs every month or so- may as well get the tool to make things easy incase I have a plug to replace.

PenguinGT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, I checked around and saw no advantage to spending nearl $300 for motor mounts, so I jumped on the link in this thread and snagged a set...

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That seems odd that the mounts were too high, but then on the flipside, you had to use "lowering" mounts to get things to align. Glad you got it figured out though.
With the original prothane mounts the piping was contacting different places on the chassis and not allowing the piping to line up correctly. The lower mounts allowed for the clearance needed. The stock mounts would also have worked, it was just the raised mounts that caused the problems.

Earl

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back