Any hillclimb people here?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I really need to get out to one of these events sometime. Not to run, but just to watch.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Pagoda Hillclimb (first half of the Duryea Hillclimb). I went .3 faster on Saturday, without the 3rd gear lockout before the finish I think I would've gone a bit faster on this run. Done trying to get it to shift with the stock clutch. Ordered a McLeod. ESP record (1.2 faster than I went last year in the same car), 4th overall, fastest production based car ever at the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1erawFIZsNc&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
What shifter are you using?

Stock with Blowfish bracket. Also run Amsoil MTF, steel clutch line, separate clutch fluid reservoir, Wilwood EXP 600 fluid changed every single event, and removed assist spring. All did absolutely nothing to solve the random lockout issues.

kcbrown

forum member
Reaction score
Stock with Blowfish bracket. Also run Amsoil MTF, steel clutch line, separate clutch fluid reservoir, Wilwood EXP 600 fluid changed every single event, and removed assist spring. All did absolutely nothing to solve the random lockout issues.

Your lockout issues might well be occurring because you're attempting to shift past 7K RPM, and it seems the Ford clutches aren't always terribly happy at those RPMs. The Boss 302 guys have that same problem: http://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10135.0

Hopefully a replacement clutch does the trick for you.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Your lockout issues might well be occurring because you're attempting to shift past 7K RPM, and it seems the Ford clutches aren't always terribly happy at those RPMs. The Boss 302 guys have that same problem: http://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=10135.0

Hopefully a replacement clutch does the trick for you.

Yes, hence the McLeod on the way :)

I was trying to avoid replacing it I know some guys don't have too many issues but I can't take the random lockouts anymore.

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Giants Despair Hillclimb. 45.0. New clutch, ended up putting an Exedy Mach 500 in the car, ordered a McLeod and they sent the wrong one. The Exedy was the only one I could find, luckily a friend had one he was planning on putting in. All shifting issues are gone. For the price, I am loving this clutch. Also installed a McLeod lightened steel flywheel at the same time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iI8eLOkWvJo

GoinDrivin

Reaction score
Mark, here's some advice to help you out. 1) for the in-car video, how about data showing G's, mph, and rpm. 2) feel free to share all the videos you want, and 3) more outside video. Ok, so those are things for me. Seriously, that's some awesome driving. I only ask about the other things because I'm just trying to imagine the speeds you're hitting. The outside video is awesome! Right now I just set it on replay and enjoy! Thanks!!!

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Mark, here's some advice to help you out. 1) for the in-car video, how about data showing G's, mph, and rpm. 2) feel free to share all the videos you want, and 3) more outside video. Ok, so those are things for me. Seriously, that's some awesome driving. I only ask about the other things because I'm just trying to imagine the speeds you're hitting. The outside video is awesome! Right now I just set it on replay and enjoy! Thanks!!!

I tried to use the Harry's Lap Timer in the past, but it won't work with tree cover. The potato cam I am for some reason still using (keep forgetting to order one) does a terrible job of showing speed.

The latest video, I shift out of 3rd at around 106, get up to around 112 in the braking zone. Hill is incredibly steep, doesn't really show on video. Pagoda was 131 at the end of the "straighaway". 7600 in fourth.

For reference, 7800 (where I shift usually now that I finally put a clutch in it) in second is 76, 3rd is 106, 4th is 140ish. 3.31 gears with 315/30r18. I try to make the tach visible.

Thank you for watching!

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
I just saw the info on this on Monday. I was thinking of doing it 20-21 Aug

If you plan on doing Duryea, register the first day it opens. Fills up almost immediately.

Frankly, it is a terrible hill to do for a first timer. 4-6 runs total are commonplace. It is Pagoda with over a mile added on to the end. Pretty technical hill too. Polish Mountain is a drive for you, but I've seen 16 runs available there. There is a return road so they pretty much run cars without interruption all weekend. August 5-6

Senna1

Reaction score
This looks like so much damn fun... but I'm way too chickenshit to even try it in a car I need for commuting/DD. Maybe after I spend a few years learning to drive properly in a safer venue...

Sorta reminds me of tear-assing around the rural roads where I grew up (SE PA), went to college (Pittsburgh), and grad school (upstate NY). But I didn't have powerful RWD cars back then.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back