Any movie buffs or movie goers?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree. Most of the stuff coming out anymore is so predictable and over-the-top with the effects, it becomes all about the visual imagery and nothing about an actual story. This summer I spent a lot of movie time (Netflix) watching English movies based on Jane Austen's books when people actually thought before they spoke.

Sixth Sense is one of my favorites when it comes to a thinking person's movie with suspense. Gives me chills every time. Way better than the slasher crap.
Liz check out a series called Doc Martin. It's an English series and you can get it on Netflix. My wife really likes the series.

Earl

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Liz check out a series called Doc Martin. It's an English series and you can get it on Netflix. My wife really likes the series.

Earl

Will do Earl. Has she seen Calendar Girls yet with Helen Mirren? We liked that one enough, we got The Full Monty again....funny stuff the English can come up with.

cwhit23

forum member
Reaction score
Just got throught watching Super 8. It's pretty good but it's what you should expect from any Spielberg movie. I liked it though.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
Lol yeah they definitely got some major air time in that movie.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

LET ME PROJECT THIS BUILDING USING MY IPAD WHILE OPENING A SAFE WITH MY IPHONE.

anyways I was thinking of seeing sherlock holmes, has anyone seen it yet?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Lee's05GT

Formally Qksixx
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LET ME PROJECT THIS BUILDING USING MY IPAD WHILE OPENING A SAFE WITH MY IPHONE.

anyways I was thinking of seeing sherlock holmes, has anyone seen it yet?

But you got to admit that was pretty sweet. My aunt said Sherlock Holmes was good if you liked the first one, but I didn't like the first one at all

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Will do Earl. Has she seen Calendar Girls yet with Helen Mirren? We liked that one enough, we got The Full Monty again....funny stuff the English can come up with.

If you like biting English comedy TV then try Father Ted (very non-PC series about three Irish Catholic priests on a remote island) or the original The Office (which is bawdier, better written, funnier and more poignant than the American remake). Harder to find is Black Books which is about a small bookstore which doesn't give a rats ass about its customers. Coupling is an English version of Friends ... just more explicit e.g. one episode a guy is terribly intimidated when he stumbles upon his girlfriend's massive dildo.

Coupling is easy to find on DVD. It's funny but probably not as savagely satirical as the others I've listed but it's cute.

I'm not an Anglophile but I do admit they've got some sitcoms we can't match in the US.

Last edited:

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
But you got to admit that was pretty sweet. My aunt said Sherlock Holmes was good if you liked the first one, but I didn't like the first one at all

It was good. Also I went to see sherlock and it was good. Same thing like the first one with lots of plot twist. The ending was amazing. I always liked how sherlock would think out his fights.

Last edited:

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
It was good. Also I went to see sherlock and it was good. Same thing like the first one with lots of plot twist. The ending was amazing. I always liked how sherlock would thin out his fights.
.. you mean how Sherlock Holmes uses Wing Chun Kung Fu?

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
It was good. Also I went to see sherlock and it was good. Same thing like the first one with lots of plot twist. The ending was amazing. I always liked how sherlock would thin out his fights.

It was amazing!! I loved it but I also liked the older black and white ones better, they involved more thinking and you could intrigue WAY less action but they were still pretty good.

Fuerte

forum member
Reaction score
.. you mean how Sherlock Holmes uses Wing Chun Kung Fu?

Sorry mis-type

It was amazing!! I loved it but I also liked the older black and white ones better, they involved more thinking and you could intrigue WAY less action but they were still pretty good.

I hope they do a thrid, just not sure which villian they would choose.

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Getting the B&W version of Miracle on 34th Street today in the mail, wooohoo!

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Watched the Rise of the Planet of the Apes the other night!

Such a great example of modern special effects! I absolutely loved this movie. I'll watch it several times over!

C-Liz-Go

Resident Realtor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Watched "Lost in Austen" last night and both of us liked it!

mikeysgt

forum member
Reaction score
We saw mission impossible last night. Was pretty good.

Also saw a trailer for "safe house" which looked real damn good.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
Watched "Lost in Austen" last night and both of us liked it!

I'm glad. It was actually a 4 episode miniseries. The DVD just linked up each episode and got rid of the credits so the pacing of the story might seem a little strange. Still it was well acted and good fun if not just a tiny bit blasphemous to Pride and Prejudice. LOL.

dascoyne

Enormous Member
Reaction score
So I just watched "The Thing" ... the 2011 movie. It's just your standard horror computer graphics vehicle with typical setup, typical suspense scenes and typical scenarios with two dimensional characters you don't really care about or remember (other than the fact that a couple of female characters were in there - the main one being a real cutie).

IMO. The 1982 John Carpenter classic is much, much, much better - the construction of the story was much more interesting and the characters were more interesting. It was also borderline satire that was downright hilarious in places ... I think of the scene where the head sprouts spider legs. Someone turns around just in time to see it trying to sneak out the door and says, "You gotta be fucking kidding ..." That's classic.

The 2011 prequel is pretty forgettable... 'cept for Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is very easy on the eyes.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Mission Impossible (4) .......Good
Darkest Hour........................ Alien Take over the world movie...but ok

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So I just watched "The Thing" ... the 2011 movie. It's just your standard horror computer graphics vehicle with typical setup, typical suspense scenes and typical scenarios with two dimensional characters you don't really care about or remember (other than the fact that a couple of female characters were in there - the main one being a real cutie).

IMO. The 1982 John Carpenter classic is much, much, much better - the construction of the story was much more interesting and the characters were more interesting. It was also borderline satire that was downright hilarious in places ... I think of the scene where the head sprouts spider legs. Someone turns around just in time to see it trying to sneak out the door and says, "You gotta be fucking kidding ..." That's classic.

The 2011 prequel is pretty forgettable... 'cept for Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is very easy on the eyes.

I think you nailed this one on the head, my exact thoughts. Haha, that was one of my favorite scenes from the 1982 version of the movie also.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back