Any reason to change the dif?

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning on changing out to 3.73 or steeper gear in place of my 3.31s. Just wondering if there is a reason to change out our factory dif?

I haven't seen on here anyone telling how much better the torsen is over the stock one, but i have been looking at it as an option.

Right now I'm just running with street radials and bolt ons. In the future I may run nitrous or low boost but probably never go over 600whp or so.

If the factory dif can hold that kind of power and if upgrading doesn't show any real noticeable difference in hookup then I'll just leave it be, but I didn't want to have to tear apart the rear again to change it in the future.

Thanks guys.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
Carbon fiber clutches would be a nice upgrade while you're in there.

Last edited:

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
The stock diff will be fine but the clutches will wear out eventually. You could upgrade to the Detroit Tru Trac and never have to worry about replacing clutches. Any diff is subject to break at some point with a sticky tire so it's just gonna be up to you to decide if upgrading at this point is worth it or not.

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
the torsen is killer. its a whole different car with it, we just did one in a customers 650whp gt500 and the difference is unbelievable.

as soon as i have the cash i will be buying one

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
the torsen is killer. its a whole different car with it, we just did one in a customers 650whp gt500 and the difference is unbelievable.

Lethal killed the torsen in their Boss after some drifting and a couple of dragstrip outings. Seems like it should have held up better than what it did.

darkstar november

magical turning mustang
Reaction score
the drifting they did was not the same kind of punishment a normal person would give it, they had a pro drifter driving the balls off the car, your average person wont kill a torsen that fast

erat

forum member
Reaction score

What does it accomplish other than being stronger?

Tron

forum member
Reaction score
the drifting they did was not the same kind of punishment a normal person would give it, they had a pro drifter driving the balls off the car, your average person wont kill a torsen that fast

So you put an aftermarket diff in to drive it like a normal person? :rollseyes:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I didn't notice much difference going to the Eaton trutrac. I did it because I needed clutches and didn't want to mess with it again.

OP: The stock differential is pretty stout, no need to change it if you aren't abusing it.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't notice much difference going to the Eaton trutrac. I did it because I needed clutches and didn't want to mess with it again.

OP: The stock differential is pretty stout, no need to change it if you aren't abusing it.

So the Tru-Trac really didn't help with traction that much?

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yes big problem, it's called one wheel peel and it will happen eventually.
Go for a truetrac and never open that pumpkin again!
Also those spider gears, but maybe that was just me and my racing...
5zguip.jpg

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So the Tru-Trac really didn't help with traction that much?

If power is going to both wheels it doesn't matter how it's getting there if you are going in a straight line. I did the trutrac because I was swapping gears and needed clutches. I figured why not put a trutrac in at the same time and never deal with clutches again. I would think the torque biasing would help on a road course but I've never done a road course as I think it would be the crack cocaine of racing and end up costing me my house, family, etc.

RedDragon777

forum member
Reaction score
I am actually looking into a Torsen when i swap my gears. Since i do almost no drag racing what so ever i am not worried about killing the Torsen. If i did drag race more than road race then i would go for the tru-trac.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I am actually looking into a Torsen when i swap my gears. Since i do almost no drag racing what so ever i am not worried about killing the Torsen. If i did drag race more than road race then i would go for the tru-trac.

I looked at the torsen too (named after the inventor of the torque biased differential by the way). It was a few hundred more than the tru-trac and like you mentioned not as strong.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Yes big problem, it's called one wheel peel and it will happen eventually.
Go for a truetrac and never open that pumpkin again!
Also those spider gears, but maybe that was just me and my racing...
5zguip.jpg

As mentioned in the other thread, I firmly believe your issue was caused by not running a diff cover with bearing cap support. You experienced deflection causing the issue seen in the pic. The stock diff is plenty strong.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Yea I gotcha, just saying I loves me some trutrac now lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back